Updated Eastern Kingdom's List

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Updated Eastern Kingdom's List

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:40 pm

1st Phalanx

Captain Tai-Shan on armored horse with bow
3 Khandish Horsemen
8 Easterling Warriors

Easterling warriors provide a tough shield wall from behind which horsemen fire arrows. When melee is joined, the warriors hold fast while the F4 cavalry make a flanking attack

2nd Phalanx
Easterling War Priest on armored horse
3 Khandish Horsemen
4 Khandish Warriors
4 Easterling Warriors

A similar group, but more agressively-oriented with the F4 axemen. Hopefully, the War Priest's Fury will help alleviate the weak armor of the axemen.

3rd Phalanx
Amdur on armored horse
3 Khandish Horsemen
5 Kataphrakts
1 Kataphrakt with war drums

Pure shock force here. The war drums will give it the maneuverability to move to where it can strike for the most damage. Amdur's banner effect should make it hit pretty hard.

599 points
32 models

Model count may seem low, but this army has a lot of heavy armor and maneuverability, which will help.

Thoughts?

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 am

The force looks too small, but we've only played a couple of games with the new model rules.
Smeagol

Re: Updated Eastern Kingdom's List

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 am

I know that you are saying. On the other hand, I wanted to use some of the new mounted hero models, and that made the army smaller. Also, I feel like the Easterling Archer is basically obsolote, now that I can have a F4 horse archer, and those are a little more expensive.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 am

The Easterlings have lacked mounted archers and the changes tot he lists give them that capability. Though at a premium.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am

Not much of a "premium," IMO. The Khandish horse-archer is far more useful than the basic Kataphrakt, and is cheaper to boot. Net win for the Easterlings, I think.
BaronDeSade

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 pm

My only thought is too much cavalry. Playing Rohan, I had lots of problems with traffic jams of 40mm bases. With 18 models mounted, over half of your force, you're going to have a very hard time getting them all into combat at the same time against a massed opponent. Without that ability, you're consigning yourself to feeding your force to the enemy piecemeal. My thought is to downgrade some of the Kataphrakts to footsloggers.

Oh, booger. You have the problem that you can only add 7 models before you're hitting the cap for your heroes. Still, that might be enough.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Yes, I'll have to see how I manage with all of the base sizes. I am hoping that the war drums' ability to move my cav 13" will be enough to let my cavalry outflank or even attack the rear of an enemy formation, while my footsloggers hold them at the front (as Hannibal did at Cannae.) On the other hand, I am hoping that if I am faced with an enemy that makes a wall, my war drums will let my mounted archers move such that I can concentrate fire on one sector of the enemy's line while minimizing my own archer's exposure. With war drums, my Khandish horsemen can move 6.5" and shoot, faster than opposing infantry could move to catch them. We'll see how it all works out on the tabletop.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:22 pm

That won't help you against Mordor. That force has more mounted archers, defense six fighters that can pummel Easterlings and a drum of their own. The road jam with 40mm bases does depend on your angle of attack, but you don't have to hit a line with all of your cavalry. Keeping some in reserve to make successive charges, particularly when you lose priority, is both historical tactics and viable in the game. It's always nice to be able to rescue your swarmed cavalry with a secondary charge.

One additional note. You now round up when computing the number of archers allowed in a contingent.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes, Morannon Orcs are better infantry than Easterlings, but I heartily urinate on Warg Riders as any kind of competition to Khandish horsemen. Cowardly, poor shooting, poor fighting cannon fodder they are. :P Khandish horsemen can stand out of range and kill Warg riders all day.

Besides, I can't imagine why you would want to use Warg Riders when you have the Great Beast of Gorgoroth, which can move a full 8" and shoot with nine Orc archers who count as only one Orc archer, and can crush anything in its way that Warg riders only dream about. Why choose melee, shooting or movement when you can have all three in "one" model? Even Amdur would have to think twice about charging one of those.

I do agree with you that one doesn't need to have all of one's cavalry in a single rank to have a successful charge, and that having cav around with their large bases to plug gaps that appear is a good thing. Having priority helps, and Amdur is good for that with his 3 Might and his ability to regenerate Might. I expect great things of him, which is always a mistake.

Archers are rounded up? Mordor laughs at that with its great beasts!

Best,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:54 pm

The great beast is over rated. Orcs trackers shoot better and move almost as fast with the drum. Also they outnumber your Khandish horsemen by over two to one. That defense 6 armoured wall can be breached by wargs on a good turn easily enough. It would be an interesting fight. Tow forces using the same force composition theory, but at differing quality. Your leader far outshines mine, wait we're talking about Amdur. Never mind. :-)
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Taking the rear while holding a line in the front is how my Rohan and Easterling forces tended to work. I do like the mounted archer idea - but you need to have staying power in your line against spear-supported lines. If your line is broken or attritted too much it won't hold anyone in place. I generally went for a ratio of just over 1 cavalry model to 2 infantry. Any more and I got traffic jams.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

ChrisLS wrote:I generally went for a ratio of just over 1 cavalry model to 2 infantry. Any more and I got traffic jams.

That is the perfect ratio in my experience as well.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Smeagol wrote:That is the perfect ratio in my experience as well.

...says the man with the all-infantry army. :P

In what world is the Great Beast overrated? He's 10 more points than Amdur on an armored horse, but has nine archers, more attacks, better defense, more wounds and tramples people. How is that not an awesome deal?
BaronDeSade

Postby ChrisLS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Well, you are using Amdur as a starting point... :P

ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm

You are talking about orcs archers. They suck remember? The beast is not a hero so no Might and it is only FV 3. It will clobber a couple of models, get swamped (and thus trapped) and then die. A mordor troll is scarier and we know how fast those die don't you? :-)

It does only count as a single model so there are pluses to it.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)