Brent's Warband Armies

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Brent's Warband Armies

Postby BrentS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:24 pm

EDIT: Re-titled the thread to keep all my armies in one thread.

Everyone defaults to their favorite army for their first list...

The Riders of Westfold

1x Erkenbrand, Horse
6x Riders HW, Westfold
6x Riders, Spears, Westfold

1x Captain, Horse, Shield, Bow
10x Outriders, Horse

1x Captain, Horse, Shield
3x Riders, HW Westfold
3x Riders, Spears, Westfold
--------------------
I think the math is right here... 31 models 600 points.

28 Warriors, 10 with bows.
All the Riders (not Outriders) are upgraded to Westfold Redshields... Finally a F4 Rohan Cavalry army Woohoo!

I was actually surprised to get 31 cavalry models including 3 heroes. Saving 2 points per outrider made a difference in being able to upgrade the Regular riders to Westfold Redshields.
Last edited by BrentS on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:14 pm

I was trying to craft a list myself, but as my riders all have throwing spears I can't save those extra points. Of course I'll use Eowyn.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:00 am

1 captain of Rohan with horse and shiels
10 riders of Rohan with throwing weapons

1 Eowyn with armour, shield and horse
10 riders of Rohan with throwing spears

1 captain of Rohan with horse and bow
10 outriders with horse

Points = 594
Models = 33

Not FV 4, but it does have a lot of harassment power.
Smeagol

Re: New Rohan

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Hmmmm... you know, in a way, Rohan does get a bump with being able to use Eowyn as a hero. She's pretty effective at for the points. Oh, did anyone else notice that the Horn of the Hammerhand has changed? Now it is an ordinary horn with +2 Courage instead of +1.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:20 pm

I'll need to try rejiggering my Rohan - I'm still a believer that Rohan needs a foot contingent to be viable. Be interesting to see what comes out...
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

ChrisLS wrote:Hmmmm... you know, in a way, Rohan does get a bump with being able to use Eowyn as a hero. She's pretty effective at for the points. Oh, did anyone else notice that the Horn of the Hammerhand has changed? Now it is an ordinary horn with +2 Courage instead of +1.

I noticed. :wink:
BrentS

Re: Brent's Warband Armies

Postby BrentS » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm

The Siege of Minas Tirith

Warband #1:
Gothmog, Shield
5 Morannon Orcs (3 w/ spears and shields, 2 w/ shields)
5 Mordor Orcs (spears)
Great Beast of Gorgoroth

Warband #2:
Skully, Morannon Orc Captain
10 Morannon Orcs

Warband #3:
Grishnak
12 Mordor Orcs (spears)
---------
46 Models (assuming I count the Great Beast as 11 models)

Probably not terribly competitive but this is my leading contender for Adepticon. I bought the Great Beast (love the model, don't love the finecast) and I've only seen Gothmog used once or twice before so I thought this would be fun.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:12 pm

The House of Elrond

White Council:
Elrond
Glorfindel (Armor)
Erestor
Arwen

Rivendell:
Elrohir & Elladan (Armor)
---------------

Hero army that looks like it would be fun to play.
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Under the Warhost rules, Gothmog has a lot more opportunity to use his Master of Battle special rule. With tiny captains burning through their might for heroic moves and combats, as long as Gothmog is in the thick of things, you'll be able to counter for free--preserving your might for other things. Despite being a cripple, Gothmog is a pretty serious fighter too--my favorite memory of using him was at Adepticon 2008, where he personally chewed through a line of rangers.
I'm glad to see folks will be using him! You have a considerable amount of might to play around with too-- something that will help keep priority in your hands even more, (IMO) an essential part of keeping that Great Beast of Gorgoroth alive and effective (in theory haha I suppose I haven't seen it in action yet).

I also like the House of Elrond list. I imagine it would be fun to play. Which version of Elrond is that?
JLeong

Postby prion2001 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:51 pm

You have to tell me how you like that Beast. I love the look of the model and having just purchased a lot of Orcs on ebay I have a feeling Mordor is in my future (and Angmar probably as well!).

Also, I wish more players would take a page from your book and try something fun and new. All the talk of model count is really bumming me out. I know there seems to be a way to build winning lists but it's starting to sound like a Fantasy army list forum sometime. :wink: I plan to get back to building armies with models I want. I could try and build competiive lists and actually win more games but I don't think that will fufill me as much as a great looking force with a great theme. Boy do I have some ideas too!
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm

The Great Beast only counts as one model.

Gothmog is a great hero and I agree that he'll be more useful with the new war and rules. Model count is how you avoid getting broken, especially with the low defense forces.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 am

All the talk of model count is really bumming me out.

Small armies are coming! Something tells me our ideas of "winning lists" may begin to change fairly soon. Someone always comes up with something that takes our community in a different direction. Adepticon is always telling
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 am

Smeagol wrote:The Great Beast only counts as one model.

The rules defines the composition as the Beast and 10 orcs. The special rule only says it counts as one model for the purpose of warband and bow count. It doesn't speak to the model count for determining break point. If it doesn't count as 11 models then I suppose, the only way to score it being killed would be to kill the beast and all 10 Orc passengers. In my opinion this needs to be FAQd.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

BrentS wrote:
Smeagol wrote:The Great Beast only counts as one model.

The rules defines the composition as the Beast and 10 orcs. The special rule only says it counts as one model for the purpose of warband and bow count. It doesn't speak to the model count for determining break point. If it doesn't count as 11 models then I suppose, the only way to score it being killed would be to kill the beast and all 10 Orc passengers. In my opinion this needs to be FAQd.

War Riders only count as one as well. You can't voluntarily dismount The Great Beast so it's not that big a deal to me. When that thing dies the orcs will take a beating from the fall. Another FAQ for that thing is if the beast dies are the orcs automatically prone since they take damage from the fall? Or do they take a thrown rider test? The same question shoul, apply to the Mumak passengers as well since nowhere does state that you are prone when you fall.

I would presume that they would be lying prone since that is the position you take when you fail a climb test and fall.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:30 am

BrentS wrote:The House of Elrond

White Council:
Elrond
Glorfindel (Armor)
Erestor
Arwen

Rivendell:
Elrohir & Elladan (Armor)
---------------

Hero army that looks like it would be fun to play.

I like this force. Which version of Elrond? Also why not use a Stormcaller instead of Arwen? Strengthen Will would be a handy thing to have behind Elrond.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)