Hobbits/Arnor with the new rules.....

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Re: Hobbits/Arnor with the new rules.....

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 pm

No problem for me. I'm not a fan of mixing them anyway.
Smeagol

Postby Slammers77 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Realistically, it won't matter anyway. 3 RoTN are 75 pts. One hero is 65-75 pts plus 12 rangers are 108 without spears. That is roughly 260 points for one GC warband. You might make 34 guys tops. I don't think there will be a ton of GC being played.

John
Slammers77

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Slammers77 wrote:Realistically, it won't matter anyway. 3 RoTN are 75 pts. One hero is 65-75 pts plus 12 rangers are 108 without spears. That is roughly 260 points for one GC warband. You might make 34 guys tops. I don't think there will be a ton of GC being played.

John

That setup is stupid.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby jlong05 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Yes, I agree. They really hampered the effectiveness and logic to creating a GC army. They really shoudl have updated the profiles for Aragorn and Halbarad to be counted as Dunedain so that the could be used in teh 4:1 ratio. Also the sillyness of RotN and Dunedain being solo units seems very odd to me considering you need them for GC implying they are natural leaders for those troops.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

That would be the LOME version of the force and it would produce a larger force that was already one of the most complained about force in play until the Shadowlord popped up. At an average of 11.2(?) per model you could build an all bow armed force in the high forties for model count. They were already obnoxious under LOME where their opponents could still outnumber them.
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Smeagol wrote:That would be the LOME version of the force and it would produce a larger force that was already one of the most complained about force in play until the Shadowlord popped up. At an average of 11.2(?) per model you could build an all bow armed force in the high forties for model count. They were already obnoxious under LOME where their opponents could still outnumber them.

+1

I think that a good solution would be to designate Aragorn, Arathorn, and Halbarad, plus the independent Rangers of the North and Dunedain as Grey Company Heroes, then require at least one Grey Company hero for every four Rangers of Arnor or fraction thereof. That would give a little more flexibility without completely hosing them. Your named heroes would lead warbands, and each warband of 9-12 rangers would need two more independent small heroes.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby orcishthug » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Back to the topic......I've got to take a Warband with Bill the Pony. The single best model in the Shire. Just keep the Hobbit Heros cycling back for Second Breakfast!
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby ChrisLS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm

While Hobbits treat Bill as a banner, he is in the Fellowship list, not the Shire, so you're only getting the banner benefit, not the recovery benefit. But still cool!
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Smeagol wrote:That would be the LOME version of the force and it would produce a larger force that was already one of the most complained about force in play until the Shadowlord popped up. At an average of 11.2(?) per model you could build an all bow armed force in the high forties for model count. They were already obnoxious under LOME where their opponents could still outnumber them.

A good army with numbers in the high 40's that whole situation has me bummed. I watch people come up with evil list with Witch Kings and 61 more models or one of your forces with 16 Warg Riders and still have 50 some models. That can't hapeen with good. I Hope you are right about waiting to see what the scenarios bring, but right now good is hampered a great deal if you ask me.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Hobbits can get numbers and so can Gondor, ancient and new.
Smeagol

Previous

Return to Army Lists (LotR)