Hobbits/Arnor with the new rules.....

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Postby EricA » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 pm

I understand the 4:1 ratio. I guess I was getting tripped up on the wording of it. I just read it originally as "if I took a RotN, I could take an additional 4 rangers of arnor" not "if I include any rangers of arnor, I have to have the appropriate number of RotN."

Either way, I think I liked this one better

The Shire

Meriadoc w/ shield
12x Hobbit militia w/ +1 str

Perigrin
12x Hobbit Archers

Paladin Took
12x Hobbit Militia w/ +1 str

Arnor

4x Ranger of the North

Halbarad
12x Rangers of Arnor w/ spear

Captain of Arnor w/ shield
4x Rangers of Arnor w/spear

600 points
61 Models
33 bows
27(39) Stones
12 Might
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby jlong05 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm

I read the rule as if you intend to maintain 1/3 bow it doesn't matter if you have RotN or Dunedian, however if you noted to break the 1/3 bow rule it becomes an all or nothing rule. At that point you have to be fully GC compliant. Also, you cannot have multiple contingents of the same army list. Ie no Arnor/Arnor alliance.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby orcishthug » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm

They are all pretty squishy. No Gandalf aerial defense dome.
Kill Hobbits till the Army breaks.

the Scenario deployment rules the Hobbits might only get one turn of shooting before taking on nasty combat troops. The random deployment doesn't let you sit back and lob arrows. In some, the only place you can mob up is close to the centerline if I read correctly. I would take a round of St. 1 rocks to get into close combat with the squshies.

I think the scenarios deployment rules offset the effectivenes of lists like that.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby Slammers77 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 pm

The terrain placement also recommends coverage of 33-50% which will significantly impact direct fire.

As a side note since we are talking about hobbits, did anybody notice ponies are now calvary-just 8" move calvary. Hobbit knights!

John
Slammers77

Re: Hobbits/Arnor with the new rules.....

Postby EricA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:32 pm

I didn't even realize they were cavalry now :shock:
They are all pretty squishy. No Gandalf aerial defense dome.
Kill Hobbits till the Army breaks.

You are forgetting that this list has 33 bows that can also shoot back at the enemy archers :) , and they arent any easier to kill than rangers or haradrim against str 2 bows.
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby prion2001 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Can someone help me understand the GC thing. As I read it, there seems no indication that you HAVE to have RotN or Dunedain to have Rangers with bows. It seems like, if you want to go over the bow limit or do 4:1 instead of 1/3 you have to have one of them for every 4 Rangers making it a GC list. So, my take is, you could take anything including Rnagers and RotN/Dunedain and stick with the 1/3 limit (the normal). If you plan to break it you have to declare you have a GC contigent or force. I'm assuming you coud do what has been FAQd for Legions before, even though all Rangers have bows, you can drop the bows from 2/3 (or whatever is needed) to keep them in the 1/3 rule. I can't tell if you guys thing this is correct or that it indicates you HAVE to have RotN and/or Dunedain in order to take Rangers of the Arnor.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby jlong05 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:05 pm

OK. again to explain Arnor as a whole. You have 2 choices(This is regardless of era):

Standard Arnor force.
Use heros for Warbands
bow limit is held to a 1/3 ratio
Dunedain and RotN can be added as independant warbands (THEY ARE HEROES THOUGH, so their bows are not counted in the 1/3 ratio)

GC force
Use Heros for warbands(Dunedain and RotN CANNOT LEAD)
Use RotN and Dunedain as independant warbands
use Rangers of Arnor with bows 4:1 ratio. (No bow limit!)

You however cannotally in a GC force with an Arnor force. the GC list stipulates that ALL models in the contingent be GC.
jlong05

Postby old coast » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:41 pm

jlong05 wrote:
You however cannot ally in a GC force with an Arnor force. the GC list stipulates that ALL models in the contingent be GC.

Can you explain your logic there?, I like it -but the exact text reads *That contains only models from the Arnor list* how are you excluding
use of other Arnor troops there? seems to me you can run anything on the Arnor list with no bow limit as its own contingent or as an allied contingent
as long as you pay the cost of adding the RotN or Dunedain to suit the numbers of bows you want to run...so Grey Company with Aragorn and Malbeth..cool
personally I think GC should be GC period ( as in either Aragorn, Halbarad, Twins Or Arathorn and the Twins) ...but I dont see that implied or spelled out..
old coast

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:15 pm

The rules are open ended by default. So yes you can mix and match, but from a thematic POV you shouldn't. By the time of Arathorn the Warriors of Arnor were long extinct. They had become the Grey Company.

You can have a force with Aragorn and Isildur in it so obviously the lists are not seperated by historical time line canon. As for Aragorn raiding Umbar. He was leading a force from Gondor not Eriador.

All bow limit rules are by contingent. The Grey Company is one such contingent, albeit it is a sublist within the Arnor list which is where all this confusion comes from. I don't believe that you should ally the Grey Company with a historical force from the Kingdom of Arnor. The force building rules do not forbid it however.
Smeagol

Postby jlong05 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Well. I was reading that if you have a contingent of Arnor with another contingent of Arnor, that since all models are Arnor that they woudl all have to be GC legit if you made one be GC. I personally am fine with running an Arnor army with Aragorn, Halbarad and generic captains using Warriors and Rangers 1/3 bow rule and saying it is thematically correct. Nothing stipulates that all Arnor warriors were bowmen 'only' in the third age.

Thats like saying all Rohan ride horses(cause that is what is in the books and movies). ;)
jlong05

Postby Jack Napier » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Bring all the Hobbits you want Eric... Sauron is still D 10 right? :twisted:
Jack Napier

Postby EricA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Bring all the Hobbits you want Eric... Sauron is still D 10 right?

yeah
Jokes on Sauron, upgrade the hobbits to str 3. Only need 6/6's in combat now, Hobbit dog-pile on Sauron :lol:
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby Jack Napier » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Ahhh yes... I don't suppose that'll go away after he dies huh...

Well we'll see what the next RTT points / model count is going to be. :lol:
Jack Napier

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Smeagol wrote:All bow limit rules are by contingent. The Grey Company is one such contingent, albeit it is a sublist within the Arnor list which is where all this confusion comes from. I don't believe that you should ally the Grey Company with a historical force from the Kingdom of Arnor. The force building rules do not forbid it however.

Not true:

Page 6, 2nd column, 5th paragraph wrote:Each allied contingent is made up of all the warbands chosen from a particularly army.

That, combined with the earlier note about all Arnor models, would support the all or nothing theory that you can go Arnor with a 1/3 bow limit or Grey Company 4:1 ratio.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby jlong05 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 am

Chris, thank you for that quote. I knew I read that somewhere. This rule supports my earlier statement of no same army contingent alliances. A contingent is 'all' warbands from the same army list. Therefore you couldn't ally in the same list as those warbands would just be added to the existing contingent. So again. No Arnor/GC alliance. If you have GC you have to have all GC.
jlong05

PreviousNext

Return to Army Lists (LotR)