Remnants of the North

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Remnants of the North

Postby GRswanknight » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm

after an eventful 2011, i can actually post on here again. i've been toying with the Grey Company and want to try this army out.

Grey Company
Halbard
6 Rangers of the North (4 with spears)
24 Rangers of Arnor (8 with spears)

Rivendell
Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armor, elven bows and horses.

Models: 33
Might: 15
Bows: 33
Break: 17

it's small in numbers but isn't that how its supposed to be. let me know what you think.
"...about the Gate resistance still was stout, and there the knights of Dol Amroth and the hardiest of the garrison stood at bay." -The Return of the King
GRswanknight

Postby BrentS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I suspect that this list would be very good at what its designed to do... shoot (and back-up). The twins give some heavy hitting potential in combat but against many armies you will be overwhelmed.

I know a lot people that get frustrated playing against Grey Company armies but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you like them.

Good to have you back on the forums. Hopefully you can make it over the Chicagoland area for some of the events in 2012!
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

I know that numbers are already tight, but if you drop some rangers you can buy horses for your heroes. This makes them one of the more dangerous cavalry in the game. Abeit expensive.
Smeagol

Postby GRswanknight » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 pm

here was another thought.

Halbarad on horse
8 Rangers of the North on horses (4 with spears)
32 Rangers of Arnor (17 with spears)

Models: 41
Might: 11
Bows: 41
Break: 21

the only problem would be making the heroes on horses.

as for chicagoland tournaments, i was thinking of doing the singles at Acon, but noticed it's sold out already.
"...about the Gate resistance still was stout, and there the knights of Dol Amroth and the hardiest of the garrison stood at bay." -The Return of the King
GRswanknight

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Convert Riders of Rohan. I used the riders with bows abnd cut off the shield. A simple head swap is usually sufficient, though I didn't do that.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Convert Riders of Rohan. I used the riders with bows abnd cut off the shield. A simple head swap is usually sufficient, though I didn't do that.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Smeagol wrote:Convert Riders of Rohan. I used the riders with bows and cut off the shield. A simple head swap is usually sufficient, though I didn't do that.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:47 pm

GRswanknight wrote:
as for chicagoland tournaments, i was thinking of doing the singles at Acon, but noticed it's sold out already.

Send an email on the site to get added to the wait-list. We are trying to get more spaces opened up.
BrentS

Postby knight of Gondor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:03 am

I like the first list just for its accuracy when compared to the book.
From the darkness a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king
knight of Gondor

Postby GRswanknight » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:14 am

BrentS wrote:
GRswanknight wrote:

Send an email on the site to get added to the wait-list. We are trying to get more spaces opened up.

i would but i don't want to spend the money on the weekend pass and not get in the tournament.
GRswanknight

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 am

you can still send the wait list email without buying a weekend pass.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 am

BostonNazgul wrote:you can still send the wait list email without buying a weekend pass.

Agreed. Get on the wait list and if a spot opens up then you register and buy your weekend badge at the same time. I expect that we will know well before the event if there are new spots being added. The more people on the wait-list the higher the probability of getting more slots.

You are always welcome to come back for BBB in 2012.
BrentS

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 am

I just played against the nastiest Grey Company list I've faced.

11 Dunedain
39 Rangers of Arnor

No named characters, no heavy hitters, plenty of spears, but a crap-ton of 3+ bow fire. It was a random deployment scenario so I tore up his stragglers. But I eventually had to run into his force and got shot up good, and bounced off his F4 spear wall.

No question, that is a really unpleasant list. Any thoughts about dealing with it other than the obvious Shadowlord/Gandalf?
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby knight of Gondor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

heavy armor really dents their effectiveness i have seen this both as grey company and against them
From the darkness a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king
knight of Gondor

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 am

The math says they should be killing 5 D5/6 models a turn if everyone can shoot, and 10 a turn if D4. 50 bows is scary.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)