The return of the Black Scorpion

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

The return of the Black Scorpion

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:21 am

The Haradrim are probably the most played force I own and they definitely count as the most painted models I own. The Golden King was an interesting experiment, but he is not as good as my other Haradrim heroes. Kushir has done well by me as a generic chieftain and I haven't been too disappointed with him as a Haradrim King.

The force did reasonably well at the Grand Waagh, but I got lucky with good matchups in two key battles. I hit Bilbo's Bash and while I had some good luck with the force it still had no reasonable chance in Contest of Champions or Meeting Engagement.

In Contest of Champions I ran into Legolas who kills at range and my hero required me to close to contact to get kills. So Kushir and his bow help even up that game and he doesn't automatically lose in close combat.

In Meeting Engagement I ran into a Haradrim horde of Corsairs, spears and archers. The amount of damage that force can dish out against defense 4 (or less) is truly awe inpiring and thouroughly intimidating. while my shooting was almost equal and our heroes functionally the same I had no answer for his throwing weapons. My force was built to crack heavily armoured battle lines and not to deal with the softer forces; wood elves and other haradrim. With the inclusion of throwing weapons as my spear support and the inclusion of another FV 5 hero my ability to deal with the low defense terrors of LOTR is much improved. It also incidently improves my ability to deal with Defense 5 forces which is not that bad of an improvement either.

1 Kushir, the Black Scorpion (Haradrim King) with bow
1 Corsair Captain with shield
20 Abrakhân Merchant Guards
20 Corsairs of Umbar with shield & spear
20 Haradrim Warriors with bow and spear

Points = 600
Models = 62
Might = 4
Archers = 21
Throwing Weapons = 21

If I were to increase this force to 700 points I think eight more Corsairs with spear and throwing weapons and four more archers with spears. a seventy four model force with two decent fighting heroes should be fairly formidable.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:29 am

Looks like a mean list with a big line. The coarsirs are a cool way to go. I originally thought they were too soft to be viable, but when you take them in numbers that great with a ton of firepower, it's hard for an opponent to take advantage of their squishiness. Combining the Merchant Guards with the Corsairs and adding a ranged champion make for a list with serious teeth.

I can imagine that armored archers (citadel guard archers, or even just WoMT with bows) would be a bit of a challenge.

Armor in combat against sufficient numbers (Morannon orc hordes) might be hard to counter too. Especially if the orcs and uruks are killing on 4s.
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:27 am

The two forces you named are tougher in terms of resisting hits, but they are both FV 3 (well maybe not the Citadel Guard) and the Merchant Guard and Corsairs both FV 4. The Merchant Guard are good at cutting through Morannons. Throwing weapons help with thinning out an adversary's lines. This force is very good at what it does, even better than it was in my last two tournaments, but you are right that it is soft.

It's got a nasty bite, but it's still a challenge to win with against a good player and/or force.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm

So, bring it on!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I did say a good player. :-) I don't know if I'll be out to play today.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Well I must be at least a decent player if I can take one of your armies, that I have never played before, and deal out massive PWNAGE to you :P .

You need to come tonight. You haven't been by in a while and I am sure that it is making you grumpy (-er).

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes I do, but I'm not sure if my wife will be up to dealing with things today. I'll give you a call once I know better.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 am

Given that I'm tired of painting Corsairs (and I only just started) and not really needing to delve into the worst of meta gaming in order to win something like the LOTR UKGT I've dug out my Haradrim Raiders which have been the mainstay of my Haradrim since their earliest days. I'm actually very pleased with the look and potential of the force with the raiders back in the force.

1 Kushir, The Black Scorpion (Haradrim King) with bow on horse
21 Abrakhan Merchant Guard
21 Haradrim Warrios with spear
10 Haradrim Raiders with bow
10 Haradrim Raiders with bow and war spear

Points = 600
Models = 63
Break Point = 31.5
Archers = 21

Still a single hero force, but Kushir as a king is still a dangerous opponent to most warriors and heroes. Assuming I can roll halfway decently. i've had hime crash and burn more than once on me. As he has his traditional bodyguard (the mounted raiders) which also provides me with a very mobile archer base from which to harrass and misdirect my opponents. The addition of the war spears is a very nice combat punch when I need it. The bow armed raiders can take the majority of the missile fire (IE lead element) and then make way when I need to charge in and make a hole with the war spears.

The Merchant Guard and their spear support are a very strong fighting line and with the close support of the mounted archers should be far more formidable than they already are. The Defense 6 spear supported lines are not the threat they have been for my Haradrim in the past. Even Wood Elves aren't too bad since the Haradrim typically are their evil near equal.
Last edited by Smeagol on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:20 am

That should likely be "20 archers" since the hero doesn't count for the 1/3 bow limit. Also, your break point is wrong. It will be "-32 models" unless you can figure out a way to lose half a model :P .

Bandits and Eunechs again, oh my! It should be an interesting force to face. I salivate at the thought of killing your Eunechs on a 4+ with my crossbows! A clash between the Eunechs and the Feral Uruks would be very bloody, with both sides killing on 4+...

Only way to find out is to bring it along next Friday. "Meat will be back on the menu boys, and this time, it's an all-you-can-eat buffet!"

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 am

The number of archers in the force is correct. The break point was off due to a typo. I'm sure you think you'll dominate my force with your obviously superior fighting uruk-hai, but you forget that the Black Scorpion of Harad is leading the force and you've got a poor record against him. :P
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 am

Well, Captain Tai-Shan has a mixed record against that bandit king, some detractors say, but as far as I know, the fighting Uruk-Hai have never faced Kushir, so it may be that they are blessed with a luckier destiny...

BdS
BaronDeSade

Return to Army Lists (LotR)