Legion of the White Hand for upcoming campaign

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Legion of the White Hand for upcoming campaign

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello All,

I've had a bunch of Isengard models for a while, but never had much success with them except against Dunlendings. Someone is going to whip up a campaign so I thought I would trot out the Legion of the White Hand. I took a brief moment to read the "Isengard Hate" thread and was pleased to note that I wasn't doing any of the hateful stuff.

The army is built in three fronts, because there are always three sections to every battlefield: left, right and middle.

1st Front
8 Uruk-Hai Warriors with sheilds
8 Uruk-Hai Warriors with Pikes
Led by an Uruk-Hai Shaman

Tough and fighty, survivable and fearless with the Shaman. Not using Orc spears because I want the group to remain fighty even after a few losses and the Shaman to work for everyone.

2nd Front
8 Orcs with Orc bows
8 Uruk-Hai Scouts with bows

Yes, Orc archers are terrible, but they are decent at providing volley fire shots and the Uruks back them up with some decent accuracy and fighting strength if it comes down to that. Orcs go in front, providing ablative armor for the Uruks if targeted by enemy archers. Don't like crossbows!

3rd Front

8 Orcs with Sheilds
8 Orcs with Spears and Shields
Sharku with Shield
Orc with two handed weapon (6 points left over)

Mass, not terribly strong, but decently survivable. Sharku provides lots of Might, knockdowns, and some decent fighting prowess. Mostly I included him just in case I need to Seize a Prize or something silly like that.

500 points
51 models

Forth the Legion of the White Hand!

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Looks versatile, but it's not LOME legal for 500 points. The model cap for 500 points is 50 models. I don't know the particulars of the campaign since I haven't talked with Gary recently, but I presume it's going to use LOME force restrictions/guidelines.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:24 pm

OK, then, the Orc with the 2h weapon dies. I don't even know if we are going to play 500 points. So, this is kind of a base to work from.

Versatitility is good!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't know much more than you do then. Gary just mentioned in passing the last time we talked.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:56 am

I am aware that you don't know much more than me. :P

Thank you for pointing out that I had gone over the model-limit. I corrected this by reducing the Orcs with shields by two and replacing them with Uruk-Hai Scouts with shields. This took up the extra six points. The Orcs will probably appreciate the support.

Best,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 am

Well the dastardly HixonT mangled my 600 point Isengard forces, and I will freely admit that I overspent on heroes. Even so, my Uruk-Hai were disappointingly ineffective at defeating the Morannon Orcs. :cry: Much re-training is in order.

So, the Uruk-Hai Captain goes into the bin, along with his two berserker friends, who were nothing more than an embarassment. New version for 600 points:

1st Front:

Uruk-Hai Shaman
10 Uruk-Hai Warriors with Shields
10 Uruk-Hai Warriors with Pikes

Four more Uruk-Hai are the answer to any tactical question.

2nd Front:

4 Uruk-Hai Scouts with Shields
6 Orcs with shields
8 Orcs with spears and shields
Allied Hero Sharku with shield
2 Warg Riders with Shields and Throwing Spears

A couple of more Uruks here give the fighting line some more punch, and the two Warg Riders give Sharku some company and support. I know that throwing spears are crappy on Warg Riders, but it makes the points come out right.

3rd Front:

8 Uruk-Hai Scouts with bows
10 Orcs with bows

Two more shots and two more warm bodies.

600 points
60 models, which isn't bad at all for Isengard.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am

BaronDeSade wrote:Well the dastardly HixonT mangled my 600 point Isengard forces, and I will freely admit that I overspent on heroes. Even so, my Uruk-Hai were disappointingly ineffective at defeating the Morannon Orcs. :cry: Much re-training is in order.

Yeah, he's a jerk like that. :P

BaronDeSade wrote:So, the Uruk-Hai Captain goes into the bin, along with his two berserker friends, who were nothing more than an embarassment. New version for 600 points:

600 points
60 models, which isn't bad at all for Isengard.

Not a bad force all things considered. In general I like it. It's got numbers which is part of the reason I was able to beat you last time. Your heroes are relatively weak even for my tastes. Sharku is fine for his Might and works as a good seconday hero, but you don't have a primary combat hero. Why drop the Fighting Uruk-hai captain instead of the Shaman? The Shaman is okay as a support model if you are facing a terror causing opponent, but a Uruk Captain can cause a lot more mayhem.

I would drop the two warg riders and replace them with two Uruk-hai warriors (shield or pike your choice) and replace the shaman with a Uruk-Captain with heavy armour and shield.

This keeps your numbers at 60, gives you one more Might point and a FV5, S5, D7 hero to work with. That Shaman really doesn't give you much since he only affects Uruk-hai and not the orcs. Typically the orcs will be the last to die when I fight your force since they run the fastest. Yes, they are easier to dispose of in combat, but they usually aren't the first thing I work on getting rid of unless you're being nice and feeding them to my force piecemeal.

Since most of what I have in terms of shooting is Strength 2 I go for the defense 6 warriors before I shoot at the defense 5 warriors. I need 6s to wound both, but in HTH combat I will only need 5s for the defense 5 orcs. Thus it's better to dispose of the Uruks first. Which in turn reduces the impact that shaman will have in the game. Fury does mean you can guarantee that you will pass a Stand Fast test, but not if I've already beaten on him and removed his spell's effect.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 am

Meh, I don't intend to win every game :P .

As with many of my army building decisions, I am thinking about the models I have on hand. I am already fielding all of my Uruk-Hai Warriors. I have some more Scout infantry, but they're not quite the same thing.

I'm trying to focus on my troops, not my heroes in this army, and I like the ability of the Shaman to keep my expensive Uruks alive. With a spear, he can help them fight, also. In the last game, you pretty much ignored my Captain, and he only killed a few models, anyhow.

As with everything, the battlefield is the only true test bed.

Planning on being around tomorrow night?

Best,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am

Yes. I have another version of Cirith Ungol to try out. Not that it's nicer than the last one you faced, but it has fewer heroes (IE only one).

I've got a couple of other forces I might drag out as well. I'm still toying with what I want to play for the league. I haven't decided whether I want to be a good guy or stick with evil.

If I go with Good then my three front runners are currently Woses (painted), Erebor (mostly painted) and Thranduil's Hall (mostly unpainted). The woses are the most challenging and I expct they'll do poorly against most forces in play. Though I should tear up Darrell's goblins pretty easily. Your, Anthony's and Kyle's Uruks will be a tougher fight, but woses excel at taking on orc kind. So I might still do very well all things considered. Any force of evil men will tear them up fairly easily though.

I don't have a front runner for evil yet, though I'm toying with Moria, Angmar and Dunlendings.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh yeah, your Dunlendings. They have always done so well every time you brought them out...
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm

BaronDeSade wrote:Oh yeah, your Dunlendings. They have always done so well every time you brought them out...

Yeah, yeah. At least I can still say that they have a perfect performance record. :(
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Well, the Dunlendings performed about as well as they usually do, or perhaps even worse. Although they had some luck at the beginning shooting at the Mordor Uruk-Hai archers, their attempt to envelop me failed when I refused both flanks and their archers stood and fired about one turn too long. After a devastating round of shooting by the forces of Cirith Ungol, the tip of the Black Guard Phalanx hit the Dunlending archers like a mallet smacking an egg, and when Dunlendings poured into either flank, they found themselves stymied by the terrain. On my right, they had to pass through a gap about five models wide, where Shagrat and the Uruks beat them like dirty rag dolls. On the left, they scaled over the walls of a small village, except for their Isengard Uruk-Hai Captain who couldn't get over the wall and stood helplessly as his minions were slaughtered. Eventually, HixonT gave up in disgust, and I don't blame him a bit.

Of course, as HixonT built the army I used to clobber his Dunlendings, I can hardly take too much credit...

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:35 am

You played that game better than I. Given how mismatched the forces were I didn't have a clear idea of how to beat your force. The Uruk-hai archers were the softest portion of the line, but that one round of shooting undid the casaulty lead I had built up in five turns. The Cirith Ungol force is one of my strongest sledgehammers and I can tell you it will take me some time to figure out how to beat that force.

Your refused flanks worked quite well agaisnt my collasping center. Now if I had thought to keep more reserves behind my center I might have had a chance to keep your force split into three parts. Of course without being able to get behind your front line and into your softer spear support I couldn't win that game.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Well, believe it or not, Tim, after examining my 600 point force for a while, I decided to take your advice about having a fighting Uruk-Hai Captain as my leader and replacing Sharku. While the Fury effect is nice, having an Uruk-Hai captain is much better for scenarios such as "Contest of Champions" and "To Kill a King."

I had included Sharku for scenarios such as "Seize the Prize," but as you point out, he is not really that strong. Also, as a combat leader for infantry Orcs, his base size causes a bit of a problem. So I have replaced him with Mauhur, who is a bit slower, but is faster over rough terrain and a much better fighting captain.

Studying the rules for Mauhur, it states that "If your army includes Mauhur, any number of Uruk-Hai Scouts can be upgraded to be Mauhur's Marauders at a cost of +1 point per model." It seems clear to me then, through RAW, that if Mauhur allies with my Legion of the White Hand army, then I can upgrade my Legion Scouts to Marauders. This could be important when determining bow count.

Anyhow, on to the list!

Center:

10 Orc Archers
8 Uruk-Hai Scout Archers

Lots of warm bodies. Acceptable levels of shooting, especially with volley fire. Capable of HtH combat.

Right:

10 Uruk-Hai Warriors with Shields
10 Uruk-Hai Warriors with Pikes
Uruk-Hai Captain

Brutality, especially when the Captain is supported by two pikes.

Left:

7 Orc Warriors with Shields
5 Marauders Scouts with Shields
8 Orc Warriors with Sheilds and Spears
Allied hero Mauhur

A wider, cheaper formation than the other wing. Still very capable in combat with Uruks and a spear-supported Mauhur.

60 models and 600 points!

Best,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 pm

I do like your hero choices better. I can provide you with two more uruk scout archers if you are interested.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)