Kicking around some lists...

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Kicking around some lists...

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm considering my next project (though I'll probably roll with my Cirith Ungol list from ToS for a while) and I had three main ideas. I tend to like lists with models you rarely see, so I'm going with building a list around Gwahir, Saruman the White (good), and a dragon.

Iron Hills at the Battle of Five Armies

Gwahir

Young Dain (Gimli profile)

8 Warriors with shields
    15 Warriors with d-bows
    6 Khazad Guard
    16 Dwarf rangers with 2H axes

47 models
    6 might

Gwahir gives the dwarves some mobility, and the idea is to have a battle line around the shields and Guards backed by bows, while the rangers try to turn the flanks and trap.

Saruman in the East

Saruman the White

Hobir (Balin profile)

7 Dwarfs with shields
    14 Dwarfs with bows
    1 Dwarf with 2H
    6 Khazad Guard
    16 Dwarf rangers with 2H

46 models
    6 might

Saruman's spells give this list some reach, with the same basic philosophy of the previous list

Serpents in the East

Dragon with flight and wyrmtongue

Corsair Captain

10 corsairs with shield
    10 haradrim with spears
    10 haradrim with bows

32 models
    5 might
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby ChrisLS » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:11 pm

No one? Do I have that bad a reputation for list advice? :shock:

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Depends. You looking for competetive advice or thematic advise? Competetively they mostly suck, except maybe the Saruman and dwarf list. Saruman the White has a well deserved reputation for being very points efficient if used well.
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Hmmm... Well, I was definitely playing around with the idea of using Saruman and the Dwarves as my force for next year, or maybe as my Good force at Gathering just in case.

Is there any kind of army that would work with a dragon? I'm really itching to play with one.

ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I haven't seen one work yet. Six hundred points is hard to fit in a dragon and still have a viable force. I'm thinking that they will work best in an all hero force, but not in a traditional style force. Something like a flying dragon plus shadowlord on fellbeast and spider queen combo. Antishooting, combat prowess and lots of Might to keep the force on the offensive. Wyrm tongue or tough hide would be my choices. Worm tongue is my favorite.
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I tried two games, both with the dwarves, and one with each of the heroes I'd been contemplating. Saruman the White did the awesome work I've come to expect from wizards, and I pretty much dismantled my Mordor opponent, though his force having both a troll chieftain and Gothmog didn't help his cause.

I also played a 500 point game with Gwaihir and Balin, totaling up a whopping 36 models, against a 43 model Uruk-Hai list. This one was much closer, and frankly if I'd played against a more experienced opponent I probably would have lost. Gwaihir makes a great assassin, but has no staying power and really needs support to be effective. 125 points is pretty crazy, particularly when compared with other "animal" heroes, such as the Spider Queen and Warg Chieftain.

ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:35 am

ChrisLS wrote:Saruman the White did the awesome work I've come to expect from wizards, and I pretty much dismantled my Mordor opponent, though his force having both a troll chieftain and Gothmog didn't help his cause.

It's hard to go wrong with Saruman the White. He's a very good buy for a wizard. Too good in my opinion, but that's another discussion. He's particulary good at taking down enemy heroes, but he can still do damage to the rank and file.

ChrisLS wrote:I also played a 500 point game with Gwaihir and Balin, totaling up a whopping 36 models, against a 43 model Uruk-Hai list. This one was much closer, and frankly if I'd played against a more experienced opponent I probably would have lost. Gwaihir makes a great assassin, but has no staying power and really needs support to be effective. 125 points is pretty crazy, particularly when compared with other "animal" heroes, such as the Spider Queen and Warg Chieftain.
I'm not so enamoured with Gwaihir. He's actually too easy to counter and against a good opponent he typically doesn't survive for long. One bad combat is usually all it takes.
Smeagol

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:31 am

Smeagol wrote:It's hard to go wrong with Saruman the White. He's a very good buy for a wizard. Too good in my opinion, but that's another discussion. He's particulary good at taking down enemy heroes, but he can still do damage to the rank and file.

Hmmm... Saruman vs. Gandalf the Grey

Command and Immobilize 18" vs 12" Adv. Saruman
2+ Immobilize, 3+ Command, 4+ Sorcerous Blast vs. 3+, 4+, 5+ Adv. Saruman
Voice of Curunir vs. Blinding Light No advantage
20 points less vs. Glamdring and Narya Adv. Gandalf
Consuming Rivalry - pretty much irrelevant since you'll never see the two of them in the same tournament list.

The points issue is pretty close to a wash, and it is arguable if Voice of Curunir is really worth the same as Blinding Light in a Good vs. Good environment. So I can definitely see the case for Saruman being undercosted, since I think Gandalf is priced very well. At the same time, I'd lean towards Radagast being overcosted, which is probably why you never see him. Perhaps I should come up with a list for Radagast...

ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Radigast allows you to target any model with Volley Fire. That is about as good as he gets.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)