Smeagol's Bilbo's B-day Bash force

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Smeagol's Bilbo's B-day Bash force

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I suppose it's time to start pondering my force options for Bilbo's while I still have time to consider getting the unpainted out of that condition.

I've been painting miniatures for RPGs and ignoring LOTR stuff for a bit. I may still ignore the LOTR models that need painting and just bring an already finished force in the end. I'm not particularly motivated to complete anything LOTRish at the moment. I'm also not sure I really feel like bringing a competitive force. To be honest playing on the top tables is not a whole lot of fun compared to the middle of the pack.

Woses & friends wrote:1 Beregond of Gondor
1 Peregrin, Guard of the Citadel
1 Ghân-buri-ghân
72 Woses Warrior

Points = 600
Might = 5
Models = 75

Painted and ready to go. I just have to flock them. They will get decimated by almost every Good army and some Evil armies. Not a power house or contender by any means, but never fielded in competition either.

Rohan & Woses wrote:1 Grimbold
20 Rohan Outriders
20 Grimbold's Helmingas with shield & throwing spear
1 Ghân-buri-ghân
15 Woses Warriors

Points = 600
Might = 5
Models = 57

Stronger version of the previous force. Lots of painting required. Lots more shooting as well.

Kushir's horde wrote:1 Haradrim King with bow
1 Haradrim Chieftain with bow
20 Haradrim Warriors with spear
1 Haradrim Warrior
20 Abrakhân Merchant Guards
20 Watchers of Kârna with bow

Points = 600
Might = 4
Models = 63

I love this force, but it is not very loved. It still needs a lot of painting to add the Abrakhan Guard into the force.

Last Stand at Pelenor AKA Easterlings & Harad wrote:1 Easterling Captain with shield
1 Easterling Captain with shield
20 Easterling Warriors with shield
10 Easterling Warriors with bow
1 Haradrim Chieftain with bow on horse
10 Haradrim Warrior with spear & bow

Points = 600
Might = 6
Models = 63

Mostly untested, but completely painted. I just need to finish basing.

Black Númenóreans wrote:1 Black Númenórean Marshal with shield on armoured horse
20 Orc Warriors with spear & orc bow
40 Black Númenórean Warriors
1 Morgul Knight

Points = 600
Might = 2
Models = 62
Completely painted and never used in this configuration. Typically my Numenoreans have done poorly in competition in any combination.

Monsters of Middle Earth wrote:1 Dragon with fly
2 Cave Drake

Points = 600
Might = 3
Models = 3

The dragon is finished so I will need to finish the Drakes. I've used a 500 point of this force and it is dangerous, but not deadly. Some scenarios would be somewhat challenging as well.

The Dwellers Below wrote:1 Drûzhag
1 Wild Warg Chieftain
20 Moria Goblin Warriors with spear & orc bow
40 Wild Wargs

Points = 600
Might = 3
Models = 62
I need to touch up a few models, finish the wargs (I still have to finish 20 of them and paint the goblins. This force should hit with the force of wet roll of toilet paper. It'll be a messy battle, but ultimately it'll be shredded upon impact.
Smeagol

Postby Jobu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:48 pm

What about something like this?

Khamûl the Easterling 1
Easterling Warrior bow 10
Easterling Warrior shield 20
Haradrim Chieftain Naked 1
Haradrim Warrior Spear 20
Haradrim Warrior Bow 10

Although I get the idea you do not like high cost heroes.

maybe

War priest 1
Dragon Knight 1
Easterling Warrior bow 10
Easterling Warrior shield 20
Haradrim Chieftain Bow 1
Haradrim Warrior Spear 20
Haradrim Warrior Bow spear 10

Otherwise, I say take the woses, sounds like fun. You will probably only get two rounds of blowpipes each game, but hobbits at this number can win, why not woses? Hmmm, @36 hits per turn, vs d 5/6 you need a 6, so 6 kills, plus re-roll the ones you should get another kill, 7 kills x 2 turns you kill 14 before combat. Assuming the opponent comes to you. You probably lose at least 15 before combat if you can not keep them "hidden" with the stalk unseen. If most armies at this points level are 55-60 you are now on almost even terms.........so you're dead. Take them anyway, since I am really curious.....FOR SCIENCE!
Jobu

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm not overly inpressed with Khamul on foot, though he's better (and pricey) when mounted on a Fell beast. I've never seen him perform in any game when he's been leading Easterlings.

The Dragon Knight can't perform Heroic Actions of any kind that benefit any other model. The Dragon Knight is a decent assassin and cheaper than a Hasharin, but he's easier to kill at range. He's a lousy combat leader.

The War Priest is basically just a shaman, but he only affects Easterlings and that makes him a poor investment. I've still considered him on a couple of occassions, but he's no combat hero and in the Easterling forces I need combat heroes. The Haradrim hero in those alliances is there to provide Stand Fast support later in the game and as a Heroic Move battery as well.

The Woses will tear up just about any orc/goblin based forces, but against everything else they get shredded. I have played with allying in Gandalf (CBL) or Saruman (ani-hero), but the fighting force becomes a lot smaller and thus easier to slaughter. Defense 6 non-orc forces are the bane of the Woses. They die easily and can't inflict wounds fast enough. Allying in 20 Outriders makes this force much tougher to defeat as the Woses can then afford to stand back and force the enemy to come to them.

Outriders & Woses wrote:1 Ghan-buri-ghan
20 Outriders of Rohan on foot
50 Woses

Points = 595
Models = 71
Might = 3

Excellent archery to force opponents to engage on favourable terms, nasty load of blowpipes to support and everything has spears or is the front fighting line. Low on defense, low on Might and once broken the Outriders will flee faster than the Woses, though usually the Outriders are long since dead as they are in the front lines.

I've used the Outriders in their mounted configuration as well, but they're less useful for the fighting line mounted.
Last edited by Smeagol on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 pm

With the inclination that GitD may be good v evil only match-ups, I'm actually thinking about the Woses myself for GitD next year.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:08 pm

To Vrasku or not to Vrasku.

I've been slowly getting Uruk-hai scouts painted and I'm now done with the archers. I've wanted to do an Isengard Raiders list, but the force is too easy to defeat on their own. Scouts are a part of the Legions list so I'll see if that combination gives me what I need for Isengard Scouts to work at 600 points. Now do I violate my long standing dislike for Vrasku just to give me a fighting chance in Contest of Champions?

Legions of Isengard Scout Battalion wrote:1 Uruk-hai Captain with heavy armour & shield
1 Vrasku

20 Uruk-hai Scouts with shield
20 Orc Warriors with spear
20 Uruk-Hai Scouts with orc bow

Points = 600
Might = 5
Models = 62

Decent captain for Contest of Champions, but not so decent for Domination etc ...

Good numbers, good fighting potential, but low defense (or rather no defense 6). Two thirds of the models are painted.
Smeagol

Postby LongFang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm

he worked well for me last year, and I hope for a repeat performance from him again this year.
LongFang

Postby Smeagol » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 pm

It's him or Mahur. Mahur gives me a decent HTH captain as well as the tougher captain. both can acquit themselves fairly well in a fight, but having 3 to 4 FV 5 attacks on a hero is a nice thing to have once lines close. Vrasku typically is out of position most of the game to affect the line of battle and when he gets there it's because your opponent has engaged the archer section.

I'll have to play with both of them when I finally get back into a regular playing schedule.
Smeagol

Postby LongFang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I was actually toying with the idea of Lurtz today instead of Vrasku. I think it's a bit of a rip that he's only D5 with a shield, where Vrasku is 5 without though.

I had an uruk captain for my melee battle line, but Vrasku was overall commander of the army. It worked fairly well, and he made for a nasty anchor if the opponent broke through the melee and/or flanked.
LongFang

Postby Smeagol » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm

LongFang wrote:I was actually toying with the idea of Lurtz today instead of Vrasku. I think it's a bit of a rip that he's only D5 with a shield, where Vrasku is 5 without though.

Lurtz can shield and having four dice when defending can keep him alive against even the likes of Aragorn or when he's surrounded by warriors for a bit. I used to use Lurtz a lot in my early days of LOTR, but since then I've stopped using him. He'd be a better fit from a weapons perspective than the other named scout captains. He's got more Might than Mahur as I recall and he can move and fire which is something Vrasku can't do. I'll have to think about it.

LongFang wrote:I had an uruk captain for my melee battle line, but Vrasku was overall commander of the army. It worked fairly well, and he made for a nasty anchor if the opponent broke through the melee and/or flanked.
Typically I think that's how he's been used. My problem is that I am far too aggressive in my playing style to make him work for me reliably.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Getting time to do some miniature painting done is great, but I'm not working on LOTR stuff. So am also looking at an alliance I considered for the Throne of Skulls tournament. So it's pretty much finihsed. I have a lancer and my Haradrim King to finish painting, but otherwise it's pretty much ready to go. If I get motivated I can look at improving the basing of the figures as well. These represent some of my older models and paint jobs.

Sting of the Black Scorpion wrote:1 Haradrim King with bow & war spear on horse
10 Haradrim Raider with bow & war spear
1 Khandish Mercenary Chieftain on horse
20 Khandish Mercenary Warriors
10 Khandish Mercenary Horsemen

Points Spent = 600
# of Models = 62
Might = 4
Break Point = 31
25% Point = 15
Archers = 21
Heroes = 2
Warriors = 60

Good mobility and archery options, lances and two handed axes when needed, FV4 in enough abundance to be dangerous.

Low defense, lousy courage and minimal heroes.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)