Bilbos- Angmar?

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Bilbos- Angmar?

Postby old coast » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 pm

So I ran into the Balke's this weekend, oddly enough at Warhammer tournament, neither of us were playing at.

Chris and I started talking bilbos and quickly realized we were both working on literary the same army for it, Dol Amroth.
Considering he was already deep into it, and I hadnt even started painting
and that we both had other options, we decided to dice off for it
after we both roll the same thing literary 3 or 4 times in row. (the dice gods could make up their minds) Chris won.

A man of my word, I was looking a couple other options mainly fleshing out Shelob / Cirtih Ungol list..however I also realize that have plenty of stuff to do an Angmar list and havent seen a straight one of those in awhile and I wanted to do one to compete against my Arnor lists.

Bhurdur
Cave Troll -Spear
Cave Troll- Chain

Wild Warg Chief
9 Wargs

3 Spectres

22 Orcs - Mixed Weapons

Might 4
Break 19
7 Terror Causers

basically press the weak flank with the Wargs

Runs the trolls /orcs and spectres in a mob up middle..hoping to engage asap...Domination with be a problem has having to spilt up the forces makes me susceptible to taking extra causalities early but hey I play for fun and have a neat idea for display board and color schemes..

Thoughts?
Last edited by old coast on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
old coast

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Interesting assortment of evil guys. The only suggestion I have for the list is twofold. Add numbers and add a hero that can help keep the orcs around. To that end I'd suggest dropping the two trolls and trading them out for orcs and a wight.

Wargs are truly weak performers without a rider. An option to beef up the warg potential is to add Druzhag into the force instead of a wight. Druzhag is slightly more survivable than the wight, but the wight has all kinds of other benefits (Courage and Paraysis).
Last edited by Smeagol on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby griffen127 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:02 pm

It would be very cool to see this list or some version of it. I myself would take 1 Orc cap 1 barrow wrigth, and a shade instead of the three trolls and bump the numbers of orcs as much as possible. Or take ur list drop the troll with the chain and add orcs. I really like the idea of your list.O
griffen127

Postby old coast » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Thematically to keep it all Angmar, I dont get an Orc Captain...unfortunate
without an alliance..and I know if I go alliance I'll end up with hodge podge list designed for the tourney that isnt really a theme force.

So sticking with pure Angmar..
Dropping one troll (probably the spear or I get stuck with extra points I cant use)
I get 81 points back

Barrow Wight and 5 more Orcs..puts me at 599 and a 22 break...
my highest break for an army for me yet. :D
I like the druzhag idea, I wish he had a mounted option...

Or

Drop the troll with the chain and the spectres
add in the Shade and 5 more orcs...

Having the Shade cozied up behind both trolls with terror and minus 1 to win the fight with S6 attacks says bring on those dwarves...however ranged attacks may be problematic...

first couple days of thinking about it...I'll play around with it some more
thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by old coast on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Joe Crone led a very successful angmar list that used a similar set up. Timing attacks is the hard part but in combat they really get a boost that can catch players off guard
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Joe ran a version with the Witch King as well.

Strange that so far, Fiefdoms has been one of the most popular army choices.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:Joe Crone led a very successful angmar list that used a similar set up. Timing attacks is the hard part but in combat they really get a boost that can catch players off guard

Avoiding a lucky Volley fire kills of wights in the first turn of the game helps too. :)
Smeagol

Postby LongFang » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

BrentS wrote:Strange that so far, Fiefdoms has been one of the most popular army choices.

I was going to run one too, that is until I saw how many others are going to be running fiefdoms. :shock:

Now? I have no idea what I want to run. :(
LongFang

Return to Army Lists (LotR)