Easterling and Rohirrim

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Easterling and Rohirrim

Postby balrog_28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi all -
I would like to startup two new armies. I have never played Lord of the Rings before, but am very familiar with most other GW games. I ran into prion2001 at the Bunker a few months ago and this peaked my interest again. I'd like to start a Easterling force as well as a Rohan force. I will probably start with the Easterlings and see how that goes, but was wondering on advice for what models to cobble together to get this going.

Also - what books do I absolutely need to get started? Probably the core rulebook - but they always have such funny names ... Which ones specifically? :)

I know I'd like to have some Easterling Kataphracts mounted, but my main forces will be on foot. Do you separate the 'shooty' types and the h2h types? I know close to nothing about this game tactically - so it will be a nice challenge and something fun for me to learn with a completely new army.

BTW - does anyone here have any extra models I can purchase from you to get started?

Thanks in advance - Balrog_28
balrog_28

Postby Gartl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 pm

The book you have to have is the core rulebook. This is best to get out of the Mines of Moria set as you get a compact version of the rules as well as a goblin army and the Fellowship.

After that you need Legions of Middle Earth which has rules on building armies.

You will need Shadow in the East sourcebook for your Easterlings. Unfortuantely GW is no longer selling this so you will have to look on Ebay or Amazon. I was told GW will have it as a pdf on their site in the future.

For both the Easterlings and Rohan you will need to get some White Dwarf articles. I am not sure if they are all on GWs website, but Febber has put up an index of all articles on AWC.

For Rohan you also want the Two Towers Journey book.

Hope this helps.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby LongFang » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 pm

First of all, welcome to Lord of the Rings!

If you're looking at Easterlings to start, the box set of warriors is the first thing you'll need. You might want to look around for the Eastern Invaders box set (perhaps eBay) as that would undoubtedly be your best starting point. Unfortunately, that was taken out of production a while ago and msot liekly won't be in stores.

As far as books go, you do need the One Rulebook for the rules to the game, and for Easterlings, A Shadow in the East sourcebook as well. Legions of Middle Earth is the third book you will want to have, as it is the recognized standard for army lists. However, the newer source books have the legions lists printed in them and you can get away with not getting it right away. Unfortunately, A Shadow in the East does not contain the Easterling and/or Khandish army lists. You will also need LoME for Rohan lists as well.

As far as a legal force, you need to have a hero and some troops. There are a few restrictions on the compostition, such as needing 2 regular troops for every bow armed model, but the warrior box sets are pretty much legal in terms of composition if you use all the models.

In other words, a hero and a box of troops will get you started. So, your "shopping list" will look something like:

The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game rulebook
A Shadow in the East sourcebook
Legions of Middle Earth supplement (optional at this time)
1 Easterling hero blister (Khamul the Easterling, Easterling Captain/banner, Amdur - Lord of Blades {online only I believe})
1 box of Easterling Warriors

LoTR SBG is an easy game to learn, but difficult to master and very, very rewarding. Out of the three core systems that GW makes, LoTR is by far my favorite.
LongFang

Postby LongFang » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Gartl wrote:You will need Shadow in the East sourcebook for your Easterlings. Unfortuantely GW is no longer selling this so you will have to look on Ebay or Amazon. I was told GW will have it as a pdf on their site in the future.

A Shadow in the East is one of the few that are still available...AND, I just remembered that I have an extra copy of that book that I acquired in a trade a while back and I don't need a second copy.
LongFang

Postby balrog_28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Thx for such quick replies guys - I appreciate all the help. Looks like I might need to reinstate my White Dwarf subscription as well. I will take a look at ebay for things as well. Thx for the tip.
balrog_28

Return to Army Lists (LotR)