Numenoreans.

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Numenoreans.

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 am

Ok. I've been thinking about doing something a little different and want to screw around with a little 2nd age stuff so I figured I'd try working on a 600 point mixed Numenorean and High Elf force. How do people feel that the numenoreans work in general in this and would it even be worth trying to do this.
Lordgoober

Postby BrentS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 am

I think by and large people feel the Numenorians are "over-priced" or "under-powered" when compared to many other armies. There best feature are their cool heroes but they are costly. Add to that an expensive alliance with High Elves and you are probably looking at a pretty small army that may be over-powered by others.

This is just my observations as an "opponent" - I've never played a true Numenorian or High Elf army. However, I have played against each of them (individually not as an alliance).
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 am

I haven't seen them in play recently. They are a good mix of fighting skill and decent equipment. They are a good counter force for Uruk-hai and Morannons since they are Defense 5, but have a FV of 4. Most evil armies have Strength 4 in their line up and Isengard even has Strength 4 missile capabilities.

Where they are seriously lacking is in the heroes, cavalry and Strength 4 areas. They have a tough time against Defense 6 forces, their generic heroes aren't too expensive, but the good heroes are very expensive. Though you get what you pay for as Elendil is a combat machine and well worth his points. Isildor isn't bad either even if The Ring is banned from play. Cavalry is a difficult item for this force. You either go with very expensive all hero cavalry or you ally in with Lothlorien and their pricey cavalry.
Smeagol

Postby LongFang » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 pm

I've only played 2 games against an all Numenorian army. Both games were with a mordor (morannon/mordor uruk based) army and both games were well fought. This was before the mordor sourcebook though, so the numenorians may not fare as well. Cavalry was a problem for them to counter though.

Elendil is a beast, and with his free heroic fight each turn, he can mess up some evil models. A couple of bad rolls though....
LongFang

Return to Army Lists (LotR)