JLeong's BBB and Beyond Army Lists

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

JLeong's BBB and Beyond Army Lists

Postby JLeong » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:52 am

Hi all. I've been cooking up some lists expanding on my current Elf collection. I've played Gondo and Mordorr for so long that it was nice to take a break into some new territory. I've found I really enjoy the Galadhrim.
I figured I'd post them here to see what everyone thinks. It looks like Tim has beaten me to the punch in posting Legolas and Cirdan as a team, but I assure you it was an original idea! haha :D

Anyway, first:
Lothlorien
Galadriel 
17 Galadhrim warriors with spear and shield
15 wood elf warriors with wood elf spear
2 wood elf warriors with wood elf spear and throwing daggers
16 Galadhrim warriors with elf bow

51 models; 600 points; 16 bows; 3 might; break 26
 I like this list because it maintains decent numbers for elves. It also allows me to repaint some of my Galadhrim warriors with shield (originally painted for adpeticon) with the updated Vegas color scheme. I'd also have the chance to take the caster Galadriel. I feel as if she is underused and has a great model.
15 Galadhrim warriors with shield and spear OR 15 wood elf warriors with wood elf spear and throwing daggers
12 Galadhrim Knights with shield and elf bow

43 models, 12 bows, 1 might, break 22

This force certainly has its weaknesses: Lower numbers and lower might to be first among them. I used this force in the 2011 Adepticon singles tournament, and I really liked it. THe Galadhrim Knights are just so fun to use- hurahh mounted bowmen! The storm caller is also a favorite of mine, but as the sole hero often has a tendency to be neutralized quickly.
Lothlorien: Orophin, elf storm caller
16 Galadhrim warriors with spear and shield
14 wood elf warriors with wood elf spear
1 wood elf warrior with wood elf spear and throwing dagger
15 Galadhrim warriors with elf bow

48 models, 15 elf bows, 4 might, 24 break 
A smaller version of my Vegas army, this list offers the punch of Legolas and the gimmick of the storm caller. I did lose the second rank throwing daggers, but there were not many games where they paid off. I would have been better served by the stronger armor. I'm just not sure if second rank throwers are worth the points.

The Grey Havens and Mirkwood (Fall of the Necromancer) 
The Grey Havens: 
Cirdan, warden of the havens
15 High Elf warriors with shield and heavy armor
7 high elf warriors with elf bow and heavy armor
Mirkwood
Legolas, Elven cloak
15 wood elf warriors with wood elf spear
7 wood elf warriors with elf bow

46 models, 14 elf bows, 6 might, break 23
After the first day of Vegas' TOS, I was kicking around lists that would handle enemy archery (S3 archery) and high strength (5 especially) strikes more effectively. S3 armies wounding me in combat on 5s hurts when I need 6s to do the same. This fear plagued me FAR too much in the TOS, and, in games where my dice went against me, proved to be warranted. So I dropped the stormcaller and subbed in Cirdan- blinding light, terror, and a little Dismay go a long way, at least in theory! The D6 front line also helps vs. good armies and Black Guard. It also helps me cover areas of the line where "Cirdan can't be." The one thing I'd like to try to do is find a way to get spears on those Wood Elf archers to form a center block for my line, but we'll see. This is currently my favorite of the lists, with the Galadriel-led Galadhrim army not far behind. It carries a lot more might, keeps magic, and is a lot harder to hurt- at the cost of 5 models. Then again, I've played with smaller armies!

Let me know what you all think!Thanks!

-Josh Leong
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:44 am

I think I'd lean towards the Galadriel - Legolas version...

I have to say though, all these elf armies makes me want to abandon any plans I have for one. I hate elves. :wink:
BrentS

Postby ChrisLS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:31 am

I don't see one with Galadriel and Legolas... I'm a big fan of having at least two heroes in an army. It is just too easy to start dominating Priority when your opponent only one source of Might. So I'd go Stormcaller/Legolas. How much is the two-shot Haldir? It might be worth downgrading Legolas to Haldir to juice your numbers.

BrentS wrote:I hate elves. :wink:

You and me both...
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 am

1 Círdan of the Havens
15 Elf Warriors heavy armour & shield
7 Elf Warriors with elven bow and elven blade

1 Legolas
15 Wood Elf Warriors wtih elven spear
1 Wood Elf Warriors with elven spear and elven bow

Points = 600
Models = 46
Might = 4
Break Point = 23
Bows = 17 shots (with legolas' machine gun)

This gives you some Elven blades to crack tougher armour when you can arrange a three on one engagement (elf + shield and elven blade) plus it gives you spear support across your entire line. It's the same basic force you already have. Your archers will typically be the reserves of the force and with CBL you don't have to worry about archery all that much so they don't need that expensive or heavy armour. If they get engaged they have spears and if on your terms they are a coup de gras reserve anyway. If you're engaged on your opponent's terms then armour isn't going to save your elves anyway.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

Another lighter armoured option:

1 Galadriel, Lady of the Galadhrim (AKA War Aspect)
1 Legolas with elven cloak
30 Wood Elves with elven spear
15 Wood Elves with elven bow

Points = 600
Models = 47
Might = 6
Break Point = 24
Bows = 18 (with Legolas' machine gun)

This gives you a fighting hero with CBL for the front line, Legolas' sniper ability, really good archery support and decent numbers. On the defense this force is unpleasant, but it also has the ability to take to the offensive when necessary.
Smeagol

Postby JLeong » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:23 am

Sorry for the slow response. I've been away this week. Thanks for the replies all!

I'm going to start getting some test games in (I hope haha) with the Galadriel (caster) list and the Grey Havens/Mirkwood list.

I rather like this list from Smeagol:
1 Círdan of the Havens
15 Elf Warriors heavy armour & shield
7 Elf Warriors with elven bow and elven blade

1 Legolas
15 Wood Elf Warriors wtih elven spear
7 Wood Elf Warriors with elven spear and elven bow

Points = 600
Models = 46
Might = 4
Break Point = 23
Bows = 17 shots (with legolas' machine gun)

This does force me to keep Cirdan with the archers most of the time, but chances are he would be there fairly frequently. I've been trying out using the archers as the center of the line, with the other troops on the flanks advancing at the same pace. The heavy armor may come in handy, though I'm not sure if I'll stick with that configuration for a battle line. The idea also stems from needing a good line for domination, high ground, and such.
The list here also gives me those spears in the back archer rank- really love it!
I thought that models equipped with a bow couldn't use their Elven Blades as a 2-handed weapon, so I've never thought of the combo. Can they use them as 2-handers with spears or a bow?
JLeong

Postby EricA » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 pm

The new galadhrim cannot take a bow and elven blade, but the regular wood elves can take both. Check the rule's book and the elven blade specifically states that you use your bow as normal whilst using the elven blade 2-handed.
Eric Adams
EricA

Return to Army Lists (LotR)