The Mirkwood project

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

The Mirkwood project

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:22 am

Since I'm unlikely to get to any of the European tournaments where Good vs. Evil is far more common I have to build a force that can go toe to toe with both sides of the conflict. Good Shooting is particulary nasty to the smaller elven forces and Evil forces like the Haradrim makes shooting armies an issue. So I need a CBL hero which Círdan of the Havens gives me at a reasonable cost. I am really tired of Pall of Darkness and CBL in return so I need something to pick off the heroes with that ability so enter in Legolas. The ultimate wraith and wizard slayer (at range). He's really good at picking off drummers too. Elven fighting lines have a high enough FV that all they really need is armour, the ability to deal with Defense 6+ and spear support. Mirkwood doesn't have the option of armour and making this force out of Lothlorien adds in another expensive hero I don't want. So no armour, but spear support is excellent and elven blades properly used and supported make up the difference quite nicely. Too bad elves aren't as good with their elven blades as the Abrakhan Guard.

Legolas is painted and I was surprised to find I had nearly finished Círdan already. Most of the elves are base painted and now they just need cleaning up, shading and detailing. Since I won't have any time in the near future for much gaming I'll have some time to get miniatures painted instead. Well between feedings, diapers, laundry, doctor visits, cooking and cleaning, playing with my daughter, ... okay so there might not much time for painting in my near future.

600 point version
1 Legolas with Elven cloak
1 Círdan of the Havens
20 Wood Elf Warriors with Wood elf spear
12 Wood Elf Warriors with Elven blade
10 Wood Elf Warriors with Elf bow & Wood elf spear
6 Wood Elf Warriors with Elf bow

Models = 50
Bows = 17

Notes: Small for my tastes, but not any smaller than my Dwarven Rangers which I'm rather fond of.

700 point version
1 Círdan of the Havens
28 Wood Elf Warriors with Wood elf spear
10 Wood Elf Warriors with Elf bow

Models = 62
Bows = 21

Notes: A very comfortable size for me. Big enough to handle hordes, but still managable in size. Legolas is just good enough to deal with opposing superheroes as long as my dice aren't horrible.
Smeagol

Postby prion2001 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Funny, I was recently thinking about painting the Cirdan model for GamesDay but wondered how it would work in an army. The fact he's unarmed seemed an issue but I also thought the cast blinding light would be his role. I was thinking of adding a generic Elf Captain to save on points and to keep everything from the Grey Havens list.

I like your configuration as it really gives you more figures to work with then you would get with using the Elf Warriors from the Grey Havens list. I'm so used to using higher defense models like Uruk-hai, Gondor and Dwarves I'm not sure how I'd handle the low defense.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Back in the last Chicago GT, I played against an Arnor army with a small Grey Havens allied list. He had Ciridan and was very effective with enough blinding light to be annoying to my outriders. A small component of Elves made for a nasty little alliance.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

For me it's about taking out the supporting heroes which Legolas can do. This makes the opposing force easier to take out. The elves' higher Fight Value helps offset the lower defense. If you don't lose a fight you don't take a hit. Blinding Light reduces enemy archery casaulties which means fewer casaulties in the long run.

Cirdan is not a combat hero by any means and he's only a lightweight as a spell caster. He has Aura of Command which isn't really needed for elves with their high courage, though with a wraith about it's probably nice to have in order to swarm one. Aura of Dismay is far more useful as it causes all models within range to cause Terror as I recall. So two useful spells and one conditionally useful one makes him a decent value. If he has to fight he's not going to last long.

When I go the heavily armoured route I always use Rivendell. The twins and Arwen or a Storm Caller leading a tough set of archers with spears behind them is more effective than I would have thought.
Smeagol

Postby jlong05 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm

One additional benefit is his Lineage making him Terror causing which helps him from being swarmed.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby JLeong » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 am

Aura of Dismay is far more useful as it causes all models within range to cause Terror as I recall.

Blinding Light and Aura of Dismay (at least in my mind- no experience yet!haha) are worth the points. I can see Aura of Dismay saving my behind when trying to hold out one more turn in domination when an objective is in the balance, or saving my Elves making a dash for the board edge in Reconnoiter. The uses are many indeed!

As far as Legolas is concerned: In my (thus far fairly limited) experience, he can really take out horses, and it's great. I doubt I have to tell you, though!

1 Círdan of the Havens

The spears of the bowmen are also a great idea. The bowmen in the center supporting each other keep volley fire going and combats going.

Do you think it's worth it to put throwing daggers on front-line Elves?
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 am

JLeong wrote:
1 Círdan of the Havens

The spears of the bowmen are also a great idea. The bowmen in the center supporting each other keep volley fire going and combats going.

Do you think it's worth it to put throwing daggers on front-line Elves?

Throwing Daggers are a great weapon, but quantity has a quality all its own (to steal a quote). They allow the wood elf player to play keep away. Which of course reduces casaulties, but ultimately it becomes a less enjoyable game for the opponent. I am looking for a strong army that can negate or at least counter some of the defensive and offensive measures that Evil (and some Good) forces bring into play. The top one being CBL and Pall of Darkness, secondarily I want missile defenses against massed archery (like trackers and Grey Company), while maximizing my own long ranged firepower.

The bottom line for this force is that it still has to be able to go toe to toe with anything in close combat with numbers, spears and elven blades the methods I've chosen to give this force the best advantage up close and personal. I have also considered a Storm Caller in this force for 700 points as that will give me a knife fighting and anti-cavalry advantage. Throwing Daggers work best if you can avoid engagement and thus it makes the army less interesting/more frustrating to play.

I enjoy a battle of manuever, but ultimately you have to get stuck in to win most games. I have found myself more often than not in games where my forces can manuever and occassionally outshoot my opponent's force, but once stuck in they get slaughtered. This force is an attempt to get the best of both worlds.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)