500 Points, "Road to Mordor," Dol Guldur

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

500 Points, "Road to Mordor," Dol Guldur

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat May 21, 2011 12:43 am

Hello All,

I amused myself tonight by bringing my Khandish Horseman army to our "Road to Mordor" game format of 500 points min 3 max 15 models game. My opponents then amused themselves by smashing it to pieces. Ah well, I do love the look of those chariots, but they are damn expensive and it's so annoying when a Wight paralyzes a character and makes his chariot explode.

So, I decided to quit playing Mr. Nice guy and bring my Dol Guldur army next week. Here it is, with an explanation of how it works.

Captain of the Black Guard, who leads his Uruks around and beats on people, who is inspired by...

...The Dark Marshal on an armored horse, who rides along with the Uruks, giving them magic support and improving their attacks. He needs an armored horse because...

...An Uruk-Hai drummer keeps everyone moving fast, in what otherwise would be a regular heavy-infantry army. He drives forward...

...Ten Black Guard, one of which has a banner, which might seem redundant with the Dark Marshal, but he gives bonuses to heroes, where the DM does not, such as one loping along with the crew, ...

...A Wild Warg Chieftain, who is a strong fighter and can still maneuver quickly once the drum becomes silent. And the icing on the Dol Guldur cake is a...

...Giant Bat Swarm, who is quite useful in a hero-centric format such as we are playing. One of the downfalls of my poor Khandish horsemen was that even my King was usually outclassed by my opponent's Fighting skill, and the Bats give me a chance to suddenly make even a Cave Drake feel not quite so confident in his fighting abilities.

15 models and 500 points of Uruky goodness.

Despair, my foes!

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sat May 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Stay out of Angmar. :P

Tough close combat juggernaut you've got there.

Dan's asked me to gather together a Rangers of the North ensemble. So I'm going to model it after the book where Halbarad, Elrohir and Elladan set out with some Rangers to find Aragorn.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 pm

I bet you want me to stay out of Angmar, since the least of my troops could punch his way through your whole army! :P C7 Black Guard Captain, baby! Only one guy you can unhorse, too :lol: .

Sounds like a good army for Dan.

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Gartl » Sun May 22, 2011 12:41 am

Well on the bright side, this army can't do any worse than your Khandish army did! ;-)
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm

I never should have listened to those used-chariot salesmen...
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 pm

ROFLMAO! As much as I love the models I have to agree. The chariots are an aweful investment in any game except WOTR. Too bad that game is unplayable as written.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

Regrettably, this force was not victorious against the undead of Angmar. Two main reasons: I had abysmal rolling for Courage tests against the Specters, and my force relied on synergies that were broken up by the Specters.

Cheers,

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 am

I tell you that the dead of Angmar are a nasty force. Soft as goblins in combat, but they can force you to engage them piecemeal. A Shaman would have helped as would any sort of Bodyguard troops, but even those can be brought to their knees. Bodyguards and the Shaman all have the issue of having a lynchpin hero that can be neuttralized. The Shaman has to be danger close shich makes it much easier to defeat that model. A bodyguarded hero is more difficult to pin down, but while the Spectres are less effective the rest of the force is not diminished in the least.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue May 31, 2011 11:39 am

Gary said he destroyed your army without losing a single model.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am

Gary said he outmanuevered my force with a single Heroic Combat without losing a model of his own. I knew that the game was over in two turns and there was no way for me to A catch Faramir, B contest Faramir's victory or C get into his camp in two turns.

So I called it. I've played LOTR enough times to know when I've lost without having to play out the beating to it's finale. Gary played that game well and despite knowing what he was going to do I was a 1/2" and a couple of dice rolls from stopping him from being able to do it.

I play those games to learn weaknesses not just in my force composition, but also my play style. Gary exploited my aggressive tactics to his advantage and given his choice of manuevering I suspect he had that plan on the table from about turn three when I shifted my cavalry to my left flank.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 pm

That is true, if Tim had not conceded he would have killed several models in the two turns that remained to be played. And admittedly, my dice were on-fire up until Faramir rolled a 2 with four dice to win his heroic combat. Thank goodness Tim rolled a 3 and I was able to use a might to win the combat. Had he rolled a 5 or higher the manuevered would have failed and the game would have continued.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue May 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Well, that's the danger of leaving one's "Camp" totally undefended. Tim taught me the importance of guarding one's camp, but he seems to have moved on since then.

Neither of you has anything to say about my 700 point force, or do you just no have anything

good to say?

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 am

Which 700 pt force?
Gartl

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am

Combined Dol Guldur/ Minas Morgul, on this forum.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 am

BaronDeSade wrote:Well, that's the danger of leaving one's "Camp" totally undefended. Tim taught me the importance of guarding one's camp, but he seems to have moved on since then.
It was a calculated risk on my part. Gary had all of one horseman in his force. As it turns out that was enough to win him the game. You only have to defend your camp if your opponent can get around your lines after all.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)