Isengard Raiders

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Isengard Raiders

Postby Smeagol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:52 pm

One of my part-time LOTR projects is to make the Isengard Raiders list work. So this is my current rendition of the list which shows some promise on paper, but hasn't seen any play time yet. I also still need to pick up a couple blisters to complete the force.

Isengard Raiders
================
1 Mauhúr
10 Uruk-hai Scouts (Mauhúr Marauder) with orc bow
20 Feral Uruk-hai

Legions of Isengard
===================
1 Uruk-hai Captain with heavy armour & shield
10 Uruk-hai Scouts (Mauhúr Marauder) with orc bow
20 Orc Warriors with shield & spear

Points = 700
Models = 62
Might = 5

Another of my hordes, this one has FV 4, strength 4 and three attacks in the combat line, plus 7 inch movement archers that can ignore woodland terrain and thus gives me something to chase down pesky elves.

Once broken I have issues with low courage, but that's the price I pay for playing evil and not having shamans running around the force. Orc bows are also less than wonderful in terms of firepower, but at least the force has archery when I need it.

Another option is to trade out for Ugluk, drop the heavy armour and shield on the captain, drop the shields on the orccs and of course give up the marauder upgrade to get a uruk-hai shaman or a second captain. I lose speed and mobility and I'm not sure the extra Might and the 12" standfast are really worth that trade. Better to break my opponent then get broken myself I suppose.
Last edited by Smeagol on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BaronDeSade » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:12 am

I don't know why you would bother with Marauder Archers when you could pay much less for Orc archers that do the same task, which is shoot an Orc bow. Uruks with crappy armor need to be fighting the enemy in melee if they are going to earn their keep, IMHO.
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Archers to me are reserves. They are not a primary combat arm. These archers need to be able to move quickly, get into a position to support the main advance and then close to exploit flanks and/or plug holes. If needed they can also engage elves on equal terms into and out of woodland terrain.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)