Las Vegas TOS force thoughts

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Postby JLeong » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm

[Cirith Ungol]
1 Black Guard Captain
1 Mordor Orc Drummer
1 Mordor Uruk-Hai with orc bow

20 Black Guards of Barad-dur
20 Mordor Orc Warriors with spear
20 Mordor Uruk-hai Warriros with orc bow
1 Mordor Orc Warrior

Points = 700
Might = 4
Models = 64
Break = 32
Rout = 16

I tried to go with a similar force. Those black guard models just turned out to be too expensive. It certainly is scary, though! :twisted:
JLeong

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I've faced the Black Guard several times and I've managed to beat them every time, but Steve doesn't use a lot of them and he's good at falling for my cheap tricks and feints. Gary's beaten all of the forces I've put out with the Black Guard as the front ranks all, but once and that was a draw ultimately.

I'm not sure this force will work very well, but on paper it looks unpleasant. On the table it actually looks pretty nice.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:55 pm

I've faced Black Guard twice; however both games were more about maneuvering than fighting. Once was against John Petrelli at GitD - we drew Contest of Champions and I won 2 kills to zero. The second was against Frank at SITE. We were playing Messengers and he beat me but it was more about the maneuverability of the Fell Beast than the straight up fighting.

I respect the Black Guard but I don't fear them... yet.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Another configuration of this force had twenty warg riding trackers in addition to the Black Guard and orc spears. This force has several weaknesses that if you can't exploit, you will have a tough time against it.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:30 am

Well since it is almost tournament time I will let the cat out of the bag. Tim is bringing a Hobbit army with Treebeard attached.
Last edited by Gartl on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 am

Too bad Treebeard can't ally with the Hobbits. Since even I don't know what I'm playing yet I doubt you can. :)

I will be playing an evil army. I have a 74 model army of evil men that only needs a couple of models finished, but I'm tired of painting models and I'm down to a couple of days or Mordor force. Both are fun to play with.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 am

Fine I will tell them the real army then. Tim is playing EVIL Hobbits led by Sauron and allied with Smaug.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:24 pm

I know I should have made up my mind by now, but bear with me. This force is nearly completed and given some time tonight should be completed by … well before Gary arrives anyway. :P

[Easterlings & Harad]
1 Easterling Captain with shield
20 Easterling Warriors with shield
10 Easterling Warriors with bow
1 Haradrim King with bow & war spear on horse
30 Haradrim Warriors with spear
12 Haradrim Raiders with bow & war spear

Points = 699
Models = 74
Might = 4

Has cavalry (with lances), has defense 6 fighting troops, near max numbers and a decent amount of archery. Plus the heroes aren't too bad. The only real downside is the lack of FV 4 and strength 4, but the lances on the cavalry will help.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm

You my friend have too many options. Pick a list, try to get a game in or two, have fun, beat all comers and enjoy Vegas. Good Luck.

I wish I could be there.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah I might have too many toys. Ufortunately I have no time for any more test games. I like the look of the Easterling/HArad force and I've had relative good luck it previously. More importanly it's the type of force I like to play.

I can go with a Mordor force like I've been working on, but it's track record sucks by comparison. Of course I like my Troll Chieftain and that may be enough reason to take that force.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Whatever army you bring Tim, you are going to do well.
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

So I should bring a Gondorian Trebuchet then? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:56 pm

So I should bring a Gondorian Trebuchet then?

Bring two, you will do twice as well!
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:43 am

Well after many, many models being painted for forces I won't be bringing I've managed to whittle down my choices to one. Thankfully I'm out of time so I ahve to settle on this one. :P

Firstly these tournaments are a great way to get me motivated to paint models. So when I have the manic energy and a reason to do so I will take the time to get as much painted as I can. I've got 30 Easterlings waiting the bases to be finished, I got 23 Black Guard painted to completion, 20 Morannon Orcs, some more orc spears, The Betrayer and the better part of my Abrakhan Guard figures painted. So all in all even if I don't do well in the tournament this weekend I got a lot of stuff finished or nearly so.

My force is a mix of Barad-dûr and The Black Gate.
1 Morgund - Mordor Troll Chieftain
1 Gothghâsh - Mordor Orc Shaman on warg

20 Morannon Orcs with shield
20 Mordor Orc Warriors with spear
20 Mordor Orc Trackers on warg

Points = 700
Models = 62
Might = 3

This gives me the cavalry models I love, the Shaman to hold the force together when things get rough, a tough as nails hero that even elven heroes have to think twice about engaging, numbers, a tough outer shell (defense 6 fighting line), mounted archers and strength 4 attacks to pierce heavily armoured shield walls.

It's still light in the hero department and it's using the crappiest of bows in the whole game, but otherwise it's not a bad force. With any luck I won't get a lineup of Khazad Guard and elven spears all weekend. :P
Smeagol

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

It's still light in the hero department and it's using the crappiest of bows in the whole game, but otherwise it's not a bad force. With any luck I won't get a lineup of Khazad Guard and elven spears all weekend. Razz

and now that you said it, your chances of it occurring have doubled. good luck
BostonNazgul

PreviousNext

Return to Army Lists (LotR)