Las Vegas TOS force thoughts

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Postby BrentS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Smeagol wrote: I just got an invitation to beat on the best and brightest in Las Vegas. Now to convince my pregnant wife that we can afford just one trip this year.

Nice, congrats Tim. I wonder if Gary or Tim declined and that is why?
BrentS

Postby tjski » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 am

Smeagol wrote:
Gartl wrote:
I'm practicing being an optimist.

Careful. You might hurt yourself ;-)

But it would be very cool if you could make it (as long as you and I don't play each other last round...)

I just got an invitation to beat on the best and brightest in Las Vegas. Now to convince my pregnant wife that we can afford just one trip this year.

So how did you get an invite to go to Vegas? I am curious if the third place finisher from GitD 2010 (aka Brent) will than get an invite?

It looks like I may be going as well to help run things, we will see...

Tim K
tjski

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:27 am

BrentS wrote:
Smeagol wrote: I just got an invitation to beat on the best and brightest in Las Vegas. Now to convince my pregnant wife that we can afford just one trip this year.

Nice, congrats Tim. I wonder if Gary or Tim declined and that is why?
That would be Wyn not Tim. Gary is planning on going and I don't know if Wyn has or would decline. It's not like Vegas is that far away.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:29 am

tjski wrote:So how did you get an invite to go to Vegas? I am curious if the third place finisher from GitD 2010 (aka Brent) will than get an invite?
Via e-mail. :P

I have no idea what GW's logic is. I know that the first three places of the Grand Waaagh LOTR tournament were all posted on their website, while that was not true of the other venues. I can't give you an answer.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:33 am

Smeagol wrote:
tjski wrote:So how did you get an invite to go to Vegas? I am curious if the third place finisher from GitD 2010 (aka Brent) will than get an invite?
Via e-mail. :P

I have no idea what GW's logic is. I know that the first three places of the Grand Waaagh LOTR tournament were all posted on their website, while that was not true of the other venues. I can't give you an answer.

Of course, I meant Wyn.

Most LOTR events had the top three finishers posted on their site, I'm listed as 3rd for GitD. As I understand it, the invitations ask for a commitment to attending by mid Feb so I'm guessing that Wyn must have declined and they moved to the next player on this list for the event.

For GitD, Tom K and Kyke T are ahead of me. I expect that both of them to accept their invitations.

For what it's worth, I've had some life events crop up this week that could rule out travel to Vegas anyway.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:52 am

My Minas Morgul force got torn apart by Gary's White Company list. Gary's White Company list doesn't look all that tough, but it's gruesome to face. I had to go back to the drawing board to correct some weaknesses in the Minas Morgul force. The heroes are still subpar, but I can live with that.

1 Narûkhôr, Black Númenórean Marshal with shield
1 Kushir, the Black Scorpion (Haradrim Chieftain) with bow and warspear on horse
20 Black Númenórean Warriors
20 Mordor Orc Warriors with spear
20 Orc Trackers
13 Haradrim Serpent Riders

Points = 699
Models = 75
Might = 4

Same front line for the infantry, but now it has decent archery support. The cavalry is smaller, but it hits a lot harder. The heroes are about the same. The Haradrim Chieftain has a lower FV, but the warspear makes him more likely to wound when he does win fights. I'll have to take it out against Gary's best and see how it does in the long run.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 pm

After doing some research on the history of Harad and the "black" Numenoreans. I have decided that the orcs have no real history working with either of them. So I have looked at expanding the Haradrim contingent and dropped the orcs. The good part is that I get better courage, better bows and poisonous arrows at the cost of only 4 archers. The cavalry and Black Numenorean contingents are smaller, but the archers are able to support any point of the combat line thanks to their spears. All in all it looks like a viable force.

1 Narûkhôr, Black Númenórean Marshal with shield
1 Kushir, the Black Scorpion (Haradrim Chieftain) with bow and warspear on horse
16 Black Númenórean Warriors (Narûkhôr's guard)
32 Haradrim Warriors with spear
16 Haradrim Warriors with bow and spear
10 Haradrim Serpent Riders (Kushir's bodyguard)

Points = 699
Models = 75
Might = 4

Same frontline infantry fighting contingent, just slightly smaller. Same cavalry contingent, just slightly smaller. Better archer support even if it's slightly smaller. A lot more spears in the force and no defense 3 troops. Best of all a much improved backstory potential.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am

1 Orc Shaman on warg
1 Morannon Orc Captain with shield
10 Orc Trackers on warg
20 Morannon Orc Warriors with shield
1 Haradrim King with bow and warspear on horse
20 Haradrim Warriors with spear
10 Haradrim Raider with warspear and bow on horse

Points = 700
Might = 5
Models = 63

One of my upgraded 600 point forces I've toyed with. It's actually proven to be surprisingly flexible. The Morannons are tough to crack, the spearmen support them and are braver than orcs. I have two cavalry arms; the warg riding Orc Trackers have a Shaman to get them to engage Terror causing opponents and My warspear toting Haradrim Raiders are a good compliment. Plenty of Strength 4 to deal with the defense 6 combat lines, lots of cavalry, decent archery and lances for dealing with the defense 7 combat lines.

Nothing to counter FV 4 really except numbers and manueverability. Combat leadership is good with the King and the Morannon Orc leading the combat troops.
Last edited by Smeagol on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby EricA » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

1 Orc Shaman on warg
1 Morannon Orc Captain with shield
10 Orc Trackers on warg
20 Morannon Orc Warriors with shield
1 Haradrim King with bow and warspear on horse
10 Haradrim Raider with warspear and bow on horse

Points = 700
Might = 5
Models = 63

I like how you have both strenght 4 cav and cav with lancee and all with bows which will annoy the heck out of your opponent :lol:. That 20 man S4 front line doesn't look inviting either.......

I also like yourblack numenorean/haradrim list.
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby Smeagol » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 am

The two types of cavalry makes leapfrog tactics not only viable, but somewhat of a necessity. The wargs aggressively advance on my opponent until they get into orc bow range while the Haradrim advance slowly and lay down fire. Once the two groups are in supporting range (a couple of turns) they can either engage the enemy or continue the harrassing fire. I need to get some more practice with this force, but it does well at 600 points. I don't expect it'll be any less effective at 700.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 am

I'd have to say that this is my favourite force I've considered so far. Mostly because I've used both forces as stand alone in several tournaments to good effect, but mostly because the army looks impressive with twenty-six horsemen on the field of which twenty-five have bows. Yes, over half of them are mercenaries, but on average I shouldn't lose more than two or three horsemen. The infantry is all defense 4, but the fighting front has FV 4 and two handed axes for those occassions when I can get multiple models engaged, plus spear support. The Khandish Mercenaries are considered to also have a hand weapon that would be used when supported. Heroes are on the light side, but they are about as good as you can get for generic heroes. All in all a decent combined arms horde. I look forward to getting some test games in with it.

Painting wise I just need to finish painting the Haradrim King and the Abrakhan Guard. Then think about what if any heraldry I want to add to the otherwise bland mercenaries. I know the book says they just wear black flags, but that is a bit on the boring side. Then it's time for touchups, detailing and some highlighting.

Harad/Mercenaries of Khand Alliance wrote:1 Khan Jengha, Khandish Mercenary Chieftain on horse
14 Khandish Merc. Horsemen
28 Khandish Mercenary Warriors

1 Kushir, The Black Scorpion (Haradrim King) with bow & warspear on horse
10 Haradrim Raiders with warspear & bow
1 Abrakhân Merchant Guard

Points Spent = 700
# of Models = 75
Might = 4
Break Point = 38
25% Point = 18
Archers = 25
Heroes = 2
Warriors = 73
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 pm

75 models and a ton of cav. Very scary!
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 am

Well it looks like I'll be bringing Kushir's Black horde for a game. If Gary has time for two I'll also have my 500 point March to Mount Doom force for him to test against.

The 500 point force consists of Gullivhar and two Cave Drakes. A potentially nasty three model force. It can't be broken so it has to be destroyed. That should be a relatively tough thing to do. the biggest shortcoming is that it only has 3 Might, but I can live with that.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 am

Saruman on horse
Khandish Mercenary Chieftain with bow
Khandish Mercenary Horseman
Khandish Mercenary Warriors
The Shadow Lord on horse

Points = 700
Models = 2 to 48 (should average abouot 44)
Might = 7

It's basically my Baltimore GT force with a different hero set.

Advantages: Two excellent spell casters, a missile shield, can automatically claim Priority once per game, 12" stand fast, excellent mounted archer contingent.

Disadvantages: Lacks depth (no spears) and it's low defense. Still it is one of my best performing forces. Unfortunately luck can make or break this force. I played a variant of this force in the last LA GT and it didn't do as well as I would have liked. I'll have to see how well it fairs against Gary and Steve.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 pm

I don't normally do Good armies, but this one is one I've got mostly painted. It's rarely played, but it's still a nice looking force and it's done fairly well in this configuration at 600 points. I've considered putting a wizard in this force, but I have to lose the outriders. I'm not sure which is better yet.

Woses of the Druadan & Theodan's Host wrote:1 Captain of Rohan with armour & bow
1 Captain of Rohan with bow
20 Rohan Outrider
1 Ghân-buri-ghân
50 Woses Warrior

Points Spent = 700
# of Models = 73
Might = 7
Break Point = 37
25% Point = 18
Archers = 20
Heroes = 23
Warriors = 50

I'm more partial to the Woses heavy force, but it lacks decent long range capabilities, though Saruman the White is a good character abuser.

Saruman & the Woses wrote:1 Saruman the White
1 Ghân-buri-ghân
72 Woses Warrior

Points Spent = 699
# of Models = 74
Might = 6
Break Point = 37
25% Point = 18
Archers = 0
Heroes = 2
Warriors = 72

This one gives me the best of both worlds with just only slight reduction in might and model count.
Woses of the Druadan & Outriders & saruman wrote:1 Saruman the White
20 Rohan Outrider
1 Ghân-buri-ghân
43 Woses Warriors

Points Spent = 696
# of Models = 65
Might = 6
Break Point = 33
25% Point = 16
Archers = 20
Heroes = 22
Warriors = 43