Las Vegas TOS force thoughts

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Las Vegas TOS force thoughts

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Assuming I get contacted as a participant in the 2011 US Throne of Skulls tournament (which is unlikely) I'm thinking of taking an upgraded version of my orc force that has done relatively well to date. Granted some of the effectiveness is the magical trickery you can utilize via Drûzhag's spells.

1 Drûzhag, the Beastcaller
1 Orc Shaman
1 Orc Captain with bow on warg
1 Orc Captain on warg
20 Orc Warriors with shield
20 Orc Warriors with spear
20 Orc Trackers on warg

Points Spent = 700
# of Models = 64
Might = 7
Break Point = 32
Archers = 21
Heroes = 4
Warriors = 60

Nothing in this force is particularly tough by itself, but with Drûzhag around the wargs are much less likely to flee the field. I've also considered putting in a horn to make this force extremely hard to break. You'd have to kill riders and mounts given that the wargs would have an effective courage of 5 when within 12" of Drûzhag. Obviously the key thing for me as a player is to prevent the early demise of Drûzhag via archery, but that's not too difficult to manage. He's short so he's easy to hide behind a horde of orc infantry and if I keep him more than 6" from the nearest model he can't be hit by proxy. With his 12" spell range he can be well behind the lines and still be reasonably effective. Once in contact my opponent's usually have their hands full trying to contain the swarm to be able to concentrate on the shaman who at this time is extremely dangerous as he can boost warg riders into hero killing machines. I've actually used a warg mounted captain in contest of champions and boosted his warg once he was surrounded. This allowed me to take out a large number of enemy infantry via a Heroic combat. Of course in the US I have to worry about wraiths being in my opponent's force (evil on evil engagements). So they are a high priority to take down or at least keep tied up once Drûzhag gets close to the combats.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I thought you were going to be unable to make any tournaments this year?
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BaronDeSade » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

I hate Druzhag, and you had no trouble killing my Wraith with him, so I don't know why you would be worried about it.

BdS
BaronDeSade

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm practicing being an optimist.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Careful. You might hurt yourself ;-)

But it would be very cool if you could make it (as long as you and I don't play each other last round...)
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Gartl wrote:But it would be very cool if you could make it (as long as you and I don't play each other last round...)

With the Throne of Skulls scoring format, it wouldn't matter all that much even if you did.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:15 am

The problem and challenge with the Throne of Skulls format is that you have to crush your opponents to get anywhere. This will inevitably lead to some seriously unpleasant forces to be in play. I would be very surprised if we didn't see a Gandalf and Hobbit horde for instance. Of course since this is a GWUS tournament someone could also conceviably use a spider queen swarm since GWUS doesn't limit the number of Spider Queens as I recall.

The challenge will be to bring a reasonably safe and sane force and still clobber your opponents with it. I don't see Gary's available (painted force) being able to manage that feat, though his Wood Elves come close depending on the scenario. Nothing I have, other than a spider queen swarm is likely to do a lot of damage either.

My orcs are the best I can do at the moment.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't see Gary's available (painted force) being able to manage that feat

I'll take that as a compliment meaning I don't play chessy armies.
Gartl

Postby Gartl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Nothing I have, other than a spider queen swarm is likely to do a lot of damage either.

Apparently you have forgotten your dwarf ranger army.
Gartl

Postby Gartl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:32 pm

And Watchers of Karna army...
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Gartl wrote:
I don't see Gary's available (painted force) being able to manage that feat

I'll take that as a compliment meaning I don't play chessy armies.

Yes. Meaning they are good forces, but a challenge to win with consistantly.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

The dwarf Rangers and the Watchers of Karna are all infantry forces which makes them relatively slow. I'm kind of in the mood for combined arms forces. So you think that the force below is better than the orcs? Even if I were to drop a banner and take two Kings I don't think this would have the combat ability of the orcs.

1 Haradrim Chieftain with bow
2 Haradrim chieftains
20 Haradrim Warriors with spear
2 Haradrim Warriors with banner
20 Watchers of Karna
20 Watchers of Karna with bow

Points = 700
Models = 65
Might = 6

Alternate version
1 Haradrim Kings with bow
1 Haradrim King
1 Haradrim chieftain
20 Haradrim Warriors with spear
1 Haradrim Warrior with banner
20 Watchers of Karna
20 Watchers of Karna with bow
Points = 700
Models = 64
Might = 6
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I think the Watcher force is generally better than the orc force due to the number of attacks, FV, and morale, but the orc force has the advantage of speed and the ability to knock of heroes very quickly with the beast spell. In a pitched battle I think the Watcher force would have the upper hand, but for the varied scenarios you would see in a tournament I would stick with the orc force.
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 pm

1 Black Numenorean Marshal with shield
20 Black Numenoreans
21 Orc Warriors with spears
1 Orc Warriors with banner
1 Black Numenorean Catapult (incl three crew)

1 Khandish Mercenary Chieftain with bow on horse
11 Khandish Mercenary Horsemen (No bow use)
5 Khandish Mercenary Horsemen (May use bows)

Points = 700
Models = 46 to 63 (should average about 60)
Might = 2 to 4

The frontline infantry cause terror and are defense 6. The fighting frontline is all FV 4. Spear support for the infantry and cavalry support. It lacks the ability to crack Defense 6 troops, but numbers and cavalry will help overcome that limitation, plus the catapult can do a number on high defense models by testing to wound against their courage instead of their defense. Warriors of Arnor are in for a world of hurt.

If I felt like pissing off Gary I could save myself 20 points and make all of the Black Numenoreans catapult crewmen. :P
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Gartl wrote:

Careful. You might hurt yourself ;-)

But it would be very cool if you could make it (as long as you and I don't play each other last round...)

I just got an invitation to beat on the best and brightest in Las Vegas. Now to convince my pregnant wife that we can afford just one trip this year.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)