Brent's Tournament Army Musing for 2011

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

good conversation, lets do it again sometime :P

like i said I lost my rules packets. if you have time to paint them, I would say would elves would be a strong force if it is indeed wooded boards

my right eye starts to twitch funny when legolas is on the board though... a personal thing... Keith might be able to recommend someting
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

jlong05 wrote:
BrentS wrote:
BostonNazgul wrote:One of the most balanced forces so far. Not having built a 600+pt fiefdoms list, is imrahil essential?

Imrahil and his stooopid banner rule kick my butt at GitD and I told John I was going to build a Fiefdom's army because of it.

I rest my case.

Yep, I gave you your dues.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:14 pm

So the last two events I've walked away with Dwarves in my hands as prize support (either through trading or by straight awards). I'm taking this as a sign that I should be playing a full-fledged dwarf army (and not just a 15 model version :wink: )

I really, really like the looks of the Floi Stonehand model so I'm going to build an army around this model. I've got three first passes using models that I have already in my possession:

1x Floi Stonehand
1x Captain w/ Shield
1x Captain w/Throwing
1x Dwarf Warrior w/ Banner
8x Khazad Guard
4x Iron Guard
10x Dwarf Warrior w/ Shield
2x Dwarf Warrior w/ 2H Axe
12x Dwarf Warrior w/ Bow
----------------
40 Models. 600 Points

1x Floi Stonehand
1x King's Champion
8x Khazad Guard
4x Iron Guard
10x Dwarf Warrior w/ Shield
5x Dwarf Warrior w/ 2H Axe
13x Dwarf Warrior w/ Bow
-----------------------
44 Models. 600 Points

1x Floi Stonehand
1x King's Champion
8x Khazad Guard
6x Iron Guard
12x Dwarf Warrior w/ Shield
12x Dwarf Warrior w/ Bow
------------------
42 Models. 599 Points

These lists are all pretty similiar. They have the same Hero (Floi) and all feature a mix of at least 10 Dwarves with Shields, 10 with bows, and 10 elites (Khazad and Iron Guards). The difference is really only in the second hero - King's Champion vs 2 Captains and a Banner. The last two are just different in the overall number of elite warriors (vs Model count).

All of the lists are on the small side but that doesn't really bother me (just see my other dwarf army).

What I'd like to really do is make this army a true showcase of painting. I saw some outstanding dwarf armies at Adepticon (Jamie and Marc's being the best of the best) and I'd love to try out some more converting and painting techniques to make these shine. I've debated even considering NMM on these but I'm not sure if I'll go that far.

Anyway, as I still can't get away from the slightly competitive side of me, just curious if people think a 40-44 count dwarven army will be resilient enough. I think it probably will but it is a bit low in totals compared to some other lists I've seen.
BrentS

Postby Gartl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I perfer the 2 captain plus standard list. I have tried the champion before and not found him horribly effective as you are usually outnumbered and he can't get off many heroic combats. The standard can be a life saver as you won't have spear support and can really use the re-roll.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm

The King's Champion has two Standard Bearers that accompany him. I think you are thinking of the Shield Bearer which is one only model.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes, I was thinking of the shield bearer.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I tried to make the shield bearers work in a previous army. I agree, their special rules are just to hard to use effectively.

The Kings Champion on the other hand. He's a stud.
BrentS

Postby febber » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 pm

The important thing to remember about the champion's heralds is that NOTHING says they have to stand beside the champion. I split one of them about 6 inches away and the two of them give pretty much your entire battle line a reroll - and also, they are heroes and can Stand Fast if your army is broken.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby BrentS » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 pm

febber wrote:The important thing to remember about the champion's heralds is that NOTHING says they have to stand beside the champion. I split one of them about 6 inches away and the two of them give pretty much your entire battle line a reroll - and also, they are heroes and can Stand Fast if your army is broken.

Yep :wink:
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:46 am

135 points for three heroes of which two are banners is a very good deal. The extra defense is nice if you are facing heavy artillery or massed archery, but there's few things in the game able to put a serious dent into the King's Champion in HTH combat that I would either worry about or couldn't avoid.

Well maybe a dragon. but not much else. I've toyed with putting the King's Champion into my Dwarf Rangers and he's a surprisingly good fit at 600 points.
Smeagol

Postby Slave_To_Ungoliant » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

"What I'd like to really do is make this army a true showcase of painting. "

I stand by any army comp decision based on painting merits! You may find that NMM is way easier than dealing with metallic paints...
Slave_To_Ungoliant

Postby BrentS » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks Ty. Your army really was an inspiration. It made me want to paint better!

Now on to my latest inspiration... I was driving home tonight and my mind started wandering a bit about the ToS. As I was thinking, it doned on me on a way to potentially improve the Unexpected Party. So here's the latest 700 point version:

Bilbo (Samwise the Brave, with Sting)
Gandalf (Gandalf the Grey with Shadowfax)
Thorin (King's Champion)
Fili (King's Champion Herald #1)
Kili (King's Champion Herald #2)
Balin (Balin)
Gloin (Gimli)
Bombur (Dwarf Captain)
Bifor, Bofor, Ori, Dori, Nori, Dwalin, and Oin (Iron Guard)
-----
15 Models (Still). Now I have 8 Heroe and 7 Iron Guard.
16 Might (if my math is right). 9 Throwing Weapons.

What I like about this is Fili and Kili put their life on the line defending Thorin during the Battle of Five Armies, that's a perfect backstory for the King's Heralds.

So what does this mean, it means I need to make three new models - one for Fili, Kili and Bombur. THe good news is there is plenty of time to do it.

Still not the type of army that is likely to do well at ToS but it will be nice to do some "new" work on the Unexpected Party.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Fri May 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Started hacking apart on The Unexpected Party v2.0 tonight. I'm starting with the new versions of Fili and Kili. These guys are based on the Heralds from the Kings champion. Once I have progress worth taking pictures of, I will share them.

I'm contemplating what tom do about Bombur. I'm pretty happy with my model of him but in version 2.0, I need to lose the banner. Maybe I will clip it off and give him a big mug of ale or something. The downside to that of course is that it's not reversible and makes v2.0more permenant. So I might start a figure from scratch. Not sure yet. I will finish the Fili and Kili conversions first and the decide.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Sat May 07, 2011 1:28 am

assuming you have time you should start from scratch on the new Bombur. It'll give you an opportunity to improve on the original.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Now that the Throne of Skulls has come and gone, I need to start thinking about my next LOTR army project.

I want to pick an army / project that I can have fun both painting and playing. Originally I was thinking of doing a dwarf army. However, now I'm not so sure.

Also thought about an elven force, perhaps using a hero that we don't see very often?

Maybe an isengard army. I have had a ton of White Hand uruks that need to be built and painted. Not sure if the white hand are the best choice for a "painting" army.

I could go back to Harad and try a Suladan or Golden King army.

Another option would be a Hobbit list.

I've been flipping through the various rulebooks and sourcebooks looking for inspiration. Hasn't hit me just yet.
BrentS

PreviousNext

Return to Army Lists (LotR)