Brent's Tournament Army Musing for 2011

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Postby Gartl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 am

I am planning my next army as well. I really dislike 700 point lists as they start to become Warhammeresque in their cheesyness. As my favorite game this weekend was the after-tournament fun game, I have to decide whether to go to the next tournament simply to have fun with an underpowered army (but then get slaughtered and really not have any fun), take an army that can compete and win (and is no fun for my opponent), or simply not go.

This decision may be made easy because if GW doesn't change the scoring/pairing format I will not be attending another ToS and will instead simply get to as many indy GTs as possible which are always a blast. However, if the indys all start to move to 700 point armies I may stop tournament play all together.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 am

Gartl wrote: However, if the indys all start to move to 700 point armies I may stop tournament play all together.
Ditto.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Here's a few 600pt army lists I've been tinkering with:

1x Floi Stonehand
1x King's Champion
8x Khazad Guard
6x Iron Guard
12x Dwarf Warrior w/ Shield
12x Dwarf Warrior w/ Bow
------------------
42 Models. 599 Points

1x Galadriel, War Aspect
1x Celeborn, HA, Shield, Blade
4x Guard of the Galadhrim Court
18x Galadrim Warrior, Shield, Spear
12x Wood Elf, Spear
------------
36 Models. 599 Points

1x Rumil
1x Stormcaller
6x Guard of the Galadhrim Court
22x Galadrim Warrior, Shield, Spear
22x Wood Elf, Spear
---------------------------
52 Models. 598 points

1x Suladan, Horse
1x Betrayer
6x Abrakhan Guards
23x Haradrim Warriors, Spear
18x Haradrim Warriors, Bow
3x Haradrim Raiders, war spear
4x Serpent Riders
-------------------
56 Models. 599 pts

1x Golden King
1x Betrayer
8x Abrakhan Guards
22x Haradrim Warriors, Spear
17xxHaradrim Warriors, Bow
6x Haradrim Raiders, war spear
----------------------
55 Models. 599 pts
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Want more Abrakhan Guard or are you good? I've got 30, but I don't think I'll need more than the 20 I'm painting.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Smeagol wrote:Want more Abrakhan Guard or are you good? I've got 30, but I don't think I'll need more than the 20 I'm painting.

I think I have two blisters worth so I could probably use a couple more. I will definitely keep your offer in mind if I go down this route.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Here's the Hobbit horde:

1x Frodo, Pony
1x Samwise the Brave, Pony
1x Merry, Pony, Shield, Horn
1x Pippin, Pony
1x Freddy Bolger
1x Lobia Sackville-Baggins
1x Farmer Maggot (hounds)
1x Paladin Took
43x Hobbit Shirriffs
19x Hobbit Archers
2x Hobbit Archers, Horn
------------------------------------
75 Models. 596 points
Last edited by BrentS on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentS

Postby EricA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 pm

My suggestion would be to give merry his horn instead of an extra to the archers, demote a sherrif to a militia and give merry his shield. that way one of your horns is on a d5 guy and extra missile deflection from the pony and fate.
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Is 700 points really that bad? I personally liked the fact that it seemed to reduce the advantage of really low point armies like Goblins and Hobbits. But that being said, I'll play either format.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby Gartl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 am

Is 700 points really that bad?

I really disliked it. I have played 350, 500, 600 and now 700 point tournaments and I found the armies in the 700 point tournaments to be the worst. In the other point catagories players have to give up something. In 700 points players could bring numbers and great characters and did so. I was cool seeing Treebeard, but I found the games not as enjoyable (not because of opponents). The increased shooting from Elf armies was insane. Seeing 20+ orc archers isn't really that bad as they hit less often (unless trackers), have less range and are only strength 2. Facing 20+ elf arrows a turn is insane. I felt that the army sizes threw the game balance out of wack.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby ChrisLS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 am

I'll admit, I was thinking about a list with a 350 point dragon, a goblin shaman and 61 regular goblins. Is that so wrong?
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby JLeong » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 am

Gartl:
I really disliked it. I have played 350, 500, 600 and now 700 point tournaments and I found the armies in the 700 point tournaments to be the worst. In the other point catagories players have to give up something

I agree that 350, 500, and 600 point tournaments are better. I really miss 500, but 600 allows for a lot of really cool options, and (in my opinion) 600 is probably the best tournament bracket.

1x Galadriel, War Aspect
1x Celeborn, HA, Shield, Blade
4x Guard of the Galadhrim Court
18x Galadrim Warrior, Shield, Spear
12x Wood Elf, Spear
------------
36 Models. 599 Points

Why not spend 5 extra points and take regular Galadriel? In my army I intend to take the 130 point version (still has blinding light, but 6 will). The extra will (as well as spells) keeps your magic in the game when facing Nazgul. 6 will would help defend from sap will and keep your casting strong in your move phase. Celeborn is also a really cool addition we never see very often.

Brent,
I really like your Harad ideas. I think you could make them look incredible, and they seem to have the promise to perform. I am especially eager to hear how the Betrayer's poison boost helps.

1x Golden King
1x Betrayer
8x Abrakhan Guards
----------------------
55 Models. 599 pts

This is my favorite of those posted. Novelty, double poison bows, cav, and the guards- nice!
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

JLeong wrote: Why not spend 5 extra points and take regular Galadriel? In my army I intend to take the 130 point version (still has blinding light, but 6 will). The extra will (as well as spells) keeps your magic in the game when facing Nazgul. 6 will would help defend from sap will and keep your casting strong in your move phase. Celeborn is also a really cool addition we never see very often.

So my thought there was I needed another "combat" hero. Regular Galadriel only has limited attacks if I recall correctly and with a smaller army I was worried about being under-powered. You raise some good points though.

JLeong wrote: I really like your Harad ideas. I think you could make them look incredible, and they seem to have the promise to perform. I am especially eager to hear how the Betrayer's poison boost helps.

1x Golden King
1x Betrayer
8x Abrakhan Guards
----------------------
55 Models. 599 pts

This is my favorite of those posted. Novelty, double poison bows, cav, and the guards- nice!

I kinda of like that one too. I'd need to get the Golden King and a few more Abrabkan gurards. I might need another box of Haradrim warriors too - unless I recycle some of my older warriors.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

Galadriel the "Witch of the White Wood" is your typical spellcaster and unlike other wizards she doesn't have a staff that can be broken. Personally I like the War Aspect better because you can put her into the fighting line where her CBL is more useful. Her -1 modifier to Courage tests is so short ranged that you need her to be dangerously close anyway. I've used the War Aspect several times and never been disappointed. Her spellcasting version is a great wizard replacement and cheaper to boot.

My Lothlorien forces tend to have one big hero or a couple of smaller ones at 600 points. Though I'm rethinking the heroes for a Mirkwood version that should be decent against shooting and Pall of Darkness/CBL combos.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

EricA wrote:My suggestion would be to give merry his horn instead of an extra to the archers, demote a sherrif to a militia and give merry his shield. that way one of your horns is on a d5 guy and extra missile deflection from the pony and fate.

Sorry, I didn't list it but Merry has his shield and Horn. The only thing the Hobbits don't have are their elven cloaks.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

So the dwarf list and the Golden King list are the front-runners. I haven't ruled out the hobbits yet but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle a 75 model "painters" army.
BrentS

PreviousNext

Return to Army Lists (LotR)