Brent's Tournament Army Musing for 2011

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Brent's Tournament Army Musing for 2011

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 am

So my competitive play is over for the year. I accomplished one of my major goals by finishing the Unexpected Party. I've wanted to do that army for two years it was a blast to build, paint, and play.

I finished the year adding an ally (Khandish Mercenaries) to my Mordor/Mahud armies. However, I really didn't build a second new army. My goal was to go to SITE, finish in the top 2 and get a ticket for the Circuit Championship. I've sort of given up on that idea, heck I'm not even sure if there will be a circuit championship.

So for next year, I want to build armies that are fun to play and will be competitive. I'm still going into a tournament to try and win it but I'm not going to be obsessed on the circuit "prize".

So I'm trying to decide what to do for next year, specifically targetting the Gathering in the Desert.

Here a few options I've been contemplating

* Woses Warriors (with alone, maxing out at 70+) or perhaps with a Wizard companion
* Hobbit's of Greendale (I think that was the town) - basically a hobbit horde lead by Bullroarer Took and some Dunedain. NOT the Gandalf led version.
* Galadrim - I've got a bunch of the metal Galadrim models and two boxes of wood elves.

All of these would be mostly "shooty" armies and I'm not sure I'm cut out for that. I've found that those games can be a bit too boring. Also in the interest of playing time, I think both the Hobbit and Woses horde could be challenging given the number of models to push around.

* New Rohan Army? I could paint up a new host of Rohan, lord knows I have enough Rohan models left over from previous experiments.

* White Hand Uruks? I've had the models for a long time and never got around to building a White Hand army. I'd consider adding Sauroman as well as I really did enjoy using Gandalf in the Unexpected Party.

* Druzhag's Beasts? I've been collecting models for this army for some time. A mixture of Wargs, Spiders, Bats, and Druzhag. The army completely falls apart without Druzhag and I expect he'd die pretty easily.

* Angmar? Maybe some Spectres, Wights, and a Shade to go with my Orcs? I've got Burdur and a Hill (cave) troll nicely painted.

What about some sort of special small army?

* Some version of the White Council? I've got all those models.
* What about a small army of mounted Wraiths?
* Thinking about bringing out the Mumak again. He's very difficult to travel with though.

So as you can see, suffering from major Gamer ADD and really don't know which direction to look for 2011. Obviously, there is no real answer here but just recording some of my random thoughts!
Last edited by BrentS on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

9 Wraiths on horses is 600 points. No Might, no extra Will and no Fate. Would be fun for a friday night game or two, but not a tournament force by any means.

If you're going for the horde I strongly suggest getting some practice in where you specifically try to play as fast as possible to get up your speed. Mind you that also assumes you are trying to win and not just moving models around the table. :) I like the woses and your painting skills should make them stand out. Part of me would love to see a Woses civil war on table one in the last round of an event. :) Woses are a hard army to win with against Good armies. Against orcs and their kin it's almost no contest. Which means of course you and I will get to hear how broken they are....wait I've already heard that comment recently. :P

The Battle of Greenfields force (1147 as things are reckoned in the Shire) took place in the Northfarthing. That would be a nice looking little horde, but not particularly tough. Gandalf would definitely make the little buggers harder to deal with than the Dunedain do. They would be a lot harder to win with than the woses as they lack spear support. Though I'm not sure I'd want to face them in Ill Met by Moonlight.

The Galadhrim are really only dangerous if you include mounted archers. Otherwise they are just Defense 4/5 elves.

I can't see how Druzhag and a beast force is very viable. Druzhag is slow and despite his extended spell ranges his spells only affect one model at a time (not counting the Fury spell). I've done a beast force and it's only won Reconnoitre and even then just barely. There isn't a lot of variation on the models either. This would be a tough one to model well and even tougher to play well.

Angmar is a nice force. So why haven't I played it more? Because it doesn't perform for me very well. It's a good collection of stuff and if you put a wraith into the mix it becomes more difficult to resist any spectres. Gary has had mixed (mostly good) results with a goblin and Angmar alliance.
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Which means of courswe you and I will get ot hear how broken they are....wait I've already heard that comment recently

You haven't heard that from me. I was surprised how effective your Woses were against Uruk-Hai, but I think most of my good forces would eat them alive. So yes, I agree with you that they will be great at GitD if he faces mostly evil (ork) forces.

If you are looking to take Overall, take the hobbits and add Gandalf. I will just hope I don't face you.

My pure Galadrhim force with no mounted archers is 2-1 against Tim (and the battle he won he had one model still on the board) so I am curious as to his definition of dangerous :-)

Druzhag and the beast force sounds the most interesting, but you are right in that Druzhag will be taken down fast.

I really like my angmar force and it has done fairly well for me, at least better than my other evil forces (except possibly my goblin army).

Personally I would like to see a Rohan army, perhaps one with the new leader that increase F value? Rohan is not represented enough in tournaments.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Gartl wrote:
smeagol wrote:Which means of course you and I will get to hear how broken they are....wait I've already heard that comment recently

You haven't heard that from me. I was surprised how effective your Woses were against Uruk-Hai, but I think most of my good forces would eat them alive. So yes, I agree with you that they will be great at GitD if he faces mostly evil (ork) forces.
Nope it was Steve actually. He was quite annoyed at invisible Woses with blowguns against an orc force in Ill Met by Moonlight. Not what I would call a pleasant force+scenario matchup.

Gartl wrote:My pure Galadrhim force with no mounted archers is 2-1 against Tim (and the battle he won he had one model still on the board) so I am curious as to his definition of dangerous :-)
You got lucky punk. :) If you played them more often I'd be happy to show their weak points.

Gartl wrote:Personally I would like to see a Rohan army, perhaps one with the new leader that increase F value? Rohan is not represented enough in tournaments.
I suspect Brent is biased against the infantry based Rohan army. The hero you are referencing only modified Warriors of Rohan (infantry) and not the Riders of Rohan.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Yes, i can see Steve being unhappy against that force in that scenario.

Come on down! I can break out my Galadhrim. It is going to suck without you and Steve down there tonight. I guess I will be playing Jeff.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Smeagol wrote:
I like the woses and your painting skills should make them stand out. Part of me would love to see a Woses civil war on table one in the last round of an event.

Yep, I've got a nice start on the Woses and I would like to see them beefed up to be tournament ready. Many games of play-testting would be in order and I would expect to get slaughtered by most good and non-orcish evil armies.

Smeagol wrote:
The Battle of Greenfields force (1147 as things are reckoned in the Shire) took place in the Northfarthing. That would be a nice looking little horde, but not particularly tough. Gandalf would definitely make the little buggers harder to deal with than the Dunedain do.

Agreed on all accounts. However, at least without Gandalf no one would be telling me I'm playing with a broken army. Again, this army would be fun to paint and model. I'd like to try my hand at sculpting some Hobbits.

Smeagol wrote:
Angmar is a nice force. So why haven't I played it more? Because it doesn't perform for me very well. It's a good collection of stuff and if you put a wraith into the mix it becomes more difficult to resist any spectres. Gary has had mixed (mostly good) results with a goblin and Angmar alliance.

I'm going to think about Angmar some more. They are a nice option with several interesting models.

Smeagol wrote:
Gartl wrote:Personally I would like to see a Rohan army, perhaps one with the new leader that increase F value? Rohan is not represented enough in tournaments.
I suspect Brent is biased against the infantry based Rohan army. The hero you are referencing only modified Warriors of Rohan (infantry) and not the Riders of Rohan.

Yes quite biased against Rohan infantry. I can't get over my annoyance with GW on making Grimbold only an Infantry leader. Crap I say!

Painting Rohan could be fun again. Its been a long while since I've done that. I know my Rohan army as well if not better than any other army I own.

I also failed to mention, but haven't ruled out a return ot Harad. I've got some Abrakhan Guards, more Mahud and more Half-Trolls that are ready to be built and painted. I'd like to try out the Betrayer sometime as well.
BrentS

Postby ChrisLS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 pm

I'd love to see an Angmar force. I was considering it myself but I've sworn I will use my existing models, since I've got way too many left over from my GW days. Spectres and Shades are just too much fun to play with.

If I hear you're bringing hobbits and Gandalf I promise I'll bring the Witch King and a troll catapult.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm

ChrisLS wrote:If I hear you're bringing hobbits and Gandalf I promise I'll bring the Witch King and a troll catapult.

No Gandalf in this army. The Hobbits are in play though.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I was just playing with some lists in LOME army builder. Too many hero options in Angmar but not enough good warrior options. Quick builds couldn't come up with anything I liked.

I looked at the Woses and found that I could bring two wizards and still get 50+ woses. I'd have to work up a credible backstory. I also didn't realize that I could field 75 Woses and still have points left over.

I looked at the Hobbits and Bullroarer. Whoa. I can get 20 of each hobbit warrior type plus 12 Dunedain and the old Took. Still squishy squishy but thats a lotta bows and plenty of might to burn.

I really don't know what I want to do. I'll have to think on this for a while.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Two wizards is 300 points at least. I you play 700 points then yes you can have two wizards, but otherwise one is recommended.

We can only manage 36 Woses and two wizards at 600.
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Smeagol wrote:Twowizards is 300 points at least. I you play 700 points then yes you can have two wizards, but otherwise one is recommended.

We can only manage 36 Woses and two wizards at 600.

Yea, I realized that on the way home from work. I don't know what I was smoking. I think I must have put a "1" in the wrong spot on the spreadsheet.
BrentS

Postby ChrisLS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:01 pm

You know, a Good force I was contemplating was a kind of "Saruman was ever our friend..." force with Woses and Rohan, particularly dismounted, backed up by Saruman the White.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I know you are partial to all mounted rohan, hell i am partial to all mounted harad. I think though it could be an interesting change of pace if you did a mixed arms rohan. Would woses + rohan be a credible option? ghostly woses hold a terrain/objective point while cavalry sweep around and lure in enemies?

'Having known you and your play style for some time, I would advise against a shooty army. Even the coolest looking and fun to build army can totally suck if you dont have fun playing it. Dave's and my catapult force got that way after the 2nd round of shooting game 1 against Matt and Craig. It is just boring and doesnt make an enjoyable game.

I think longfang posted a cool wood elf rohan alliance based on helms deep. I liked that force.

angmar is really cool, orcs are just so terrible for so many reasons in my book.
BostonNazgul

Postby Gartl » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:17 am

I think longfang posted a cool wood elf rohan alliance based on helms deep

THERE WERE NO DAMN ELVES (other than Legolas) AT HELMS DEEP!!!!
Gartl

Postby chicagoSWANknights » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Gartl wrote:THERE WERE NO DAMN ELVES (other than Legolas) AT HELMS DEEP!!!!

could be worse, for in the movie they had ideas of having arwen at helm's deep.
MALBETH!!!
chicagoSWANknights

Next

Return to Army Lists (LotR)