Army fo Bilbo's Birhtday?

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Which Good Army should I play?

Poll ended at Sat May 01, 2010 10:48 am

Galadhrim
9%
Grey Co
9%
Dwarf Rangers
36%
Fifedoms
45%

Total votes : 11

Army fo Bilbo's Birhtday?

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:48 am

With my birthday around the corner I thought it would be a good idea to paint up a new army for the tournament.
I will discuss the actual lists in May. ( I will ask for Tims Help)
The following choices are:

Galadhrim-- I started this army first all metal warriors right now but nowhere near 600 pts.

Grey Co.--- I have 350 now and want expand this army not sure how I want to do it.

Dwarf Rangers--- Again another Army I have in the box but not yet painted.

Fifedoms---- I have 1 banner and 2 koda painted. This army has always intrigued me, It is not because of the plastic knights coming out as I have already own these the rest would have to purchased.

Let me know what you guys think. These are the 4 I listed but if anyone has any other ideas the would be fun to play I am open to those suggestions also.

Thanks,
Chris
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:39 am

I voted for the Dwarf Rangers - I think you'd have a lot of fun with those.

My second choice would be fiefdoms.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 am

i voted galadhrim 1st, and fiefdoms for 2nd choice.

I think you would find the elves to be a fun challenge and they also are resilient to any mistakes or just bad luck. With 9pt warriors you can also take bigger heroes like galadriel war aspect etc.

Fiefdoms is also a cool choice, i think everyone has a irking for a fiefdoms army, they offer alot of cool choices, maybe the black vale archers will be out in time?
BostonNazgul

Postby thorhak » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:18 pm

I voted Dwarf Rangers...would you expect anything different?

Btw...Tim has had great success previously with a Dwarf Ranger force! :twisted:
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 pm

I voted for Dwarf Rangers of course. I love those little buggers and they have done me proud most of the time. There are scenarios that they have problems with, but they are a solid force nonetheless.
Smeagol

Postby chicagoSWANknights » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:04 pm

i voted for the fiefdoms because one, i just love the fiefdoms, and two it is an army that looks great and plays well. has some of the best heroes in imrahil and forlong. the axeman of lossarnach are versatile and the swan knights are just so good on horse or foot.
MALBETH!!!
chicagoSWANknights

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the Dwarf Ranger force.

Here are a few of my concerns---
1. Slow moving-- I know Jamie and Brent will probably have at least one speed scenario in the tournament.
2. Strength 3 I know most of the good guys are all str 3 and I hope I can live with that.
3. Lack of spear support--enough said.

Here is what I like---
1. Ranged attacks--- bows and throwing weapons.
2. High fight value and high courage. Maybe they won't run away as fast as my Mahud.

I think I can make a formidable list from the following models
16 Dwarf Long Bows
16 Throwing Weapons
16 Two-handed weapons
9 Iron Guard
Gimli
Balin
Dwarf Captain
In the end I think the list will have close to 50 models, a nice little dwarf Horde, and played correctly should be Ok. Wtih me at the helm who knows.

Thanks Again
Chris

Tim --- I will be pming you for possible list ideas.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:I think I can make a formidable list from the following models
16 Dwarf Long Bows
16 Throwing Weapons
16 Two-handed weapons
9 Iron Guard
Gimli
Balin
Dwarf Captain
In the end I think the list will have close to 50 models, a nice little dwarf Horde, and played correctly should be Ok. Wtih me at the helm who knows.

Tim --- I will be pming you for possible list ideas.

You saw first hand how devasting a handful of iron guard along side Gimli or Balin can be. I think you'll have a lot of fun with this force!
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 pm

There is no reason every throwing and nonthrowing axe armed dwarf can't be carrying a two handed blade. This will improve your options when you manage to trap opponents or when you can get favorable odds (IE 2-1 in your favour). One or more opts for the two handed weapon and th other(s) use their regular weapon.

At 600 points I like the two basic dwarf hero and 48 dwarf ranger force with 16 of the rangers having throwing axes in addition to their two handed axes and another 16 with dwarf long bows.
Smeagol

Return to Army Lists (LotR)