500 & 600 Gondor

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Which 600 point force do you prefer?

List 1 - Beregond cavalry
25%
List 2 - Boromir cavalry
75%

Total votes : 8

500 & 600 Gondor

Postby Aragorn by the Bay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 pm

I peruse this site a lot, but rarely post - so I thought I'd start posting a bit more. So first of all - greetings! By way of background, I live and game in Sacramento. I've been playing LOTR for 6 months and game at the same place with Tim Hixon and Gary Lane. I find time for LOTR when I can, which is less than I'd like to because I'm marred (oops, I mean married) with kids.

Finally, a bit of actual trivia: my middle name is actually Aragorn! I couldn't make this up if I wanted to. My parents were hippies and loved Tolkien.

Now on to the topic at hand. Please comment on this 500 and 600 point forces for Gondor.

500 Pt Ithilien/Fellowship:
-Boromir of Gondor w/elven cloak
-Damrod
-6 Osg Vets w/shield
-8 WOMT w/shield
-14 WOMT w/spear & shield
-14 Rangers (9 with spears)
500 pts, 44 models, 7 might, 15 shots, 22 models F4+, 29 models D6+

600 Pt Expansion (to include allied Ecthelion cavalry):
-Boromir of Gondor w/elven cloak
-Damrod
-Beregond on Horse
-5 KOMT w/shield
-6 Osg Vets w/shield
-8 WOMT w/shield
-14 WOMT w/spear & shield
-14 Rangers (8 with spears)
600 pts, 50 models, 8 might (but only 1 mounted might), 16 shots, 23 models F4+, 35 models D6+

Any comments welcome! I've run the 500 list by Tim and he thought it was overall pretty good, but I'd welcome other feedback.

As for the 600, is Beregond too weak to lead the cavalry with only 1 might? If so, I may have to use the following list:
Boromir of Gondor on Horse
4 KOMT w/shield
Beregond
Damrod
15 WOMT w/shield
15 WOMT w/spear & shield
15 ROG (9 w/spear)
600 pts, 52 models, 8 might (6 mounted), 17 shots, 18 models F4+, 36 models D6+

Which 600 pt cavalry-based force do you prefer?
And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli
Aragorn by the Bay

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 pm

i would go with beregond, with only horses total in that force, when you do engage its going to be close at hand with your infantry (depending on your tactics obv.) so potentially your foot heros could save the cav. with one of their heroic moves. 4 cav. + boromir makes for an incredibly tempting pincushion and could cripple any effectiveness that your cav. could have with 1-2 direct shooting rounds.

I like big heros and understand the coolness of boromir, but if you have any doubt about him, cirion + another capt. could be a nice alternative.

My preference is not to take spears on the rangers, my train of thought is that if you are going to be engaging your archers in melee, the time always presents itself, their F4 is going to be needed in direct combat. I do understand the formation of rangers behind WoMT but to me its a wasted 8/9 points when you could potentially engage most of them on the same turn or wait 1 turn and complete an archer flanking attack.
BostonNazgul

Postby Aragorn by the Bay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks BN! The idea of using foot heroes calling heroic moves to help cavalry is a good idea - as long as I keep my cav pretty close on hand. I agree about the pincushion concept - which is why I use an elven cloak on Boromir on foot - but alas I can't use it on horse. So I'd have to be very careful to spring my cavalry at just the right moment so as to not leave them exposed.

I will consider this advice. Tough choices!

As for Cirion, I've used him plenty and I like him! But lately I've had a hankering for a bigger hero - and I like the combination that Boromir brings of character, might, and also vulnerability. He just makes for fun gaming!

By the way, my thought isn't to back up WOMT with ROG with spears. I will back up WOMT with other WOMT's with spears. The rangers will form their own squad. But if they get called into combat, they can back each other up with spears, or occasionally back up other models. I agree with you that I don't want to waste their FV4. (Then again, I want to minimize their exposure as D4 models.. )

All your suggestions are good ones, so I need to think them through - good food for thought.
And here we find you feasting and idling - and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? - Gimli
Aragorn by the Bay

Postby BrentS » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:43 pm

For the 600pt version, have you considered adding Beregond on foot and Faramir as a mounted hero? You could keep the Os Vets and it themes real nicely with Damrod leading the Rangers. Doesn't really give you a "mega" hero but it does allow for named hero leading the army.

My only real compliant about the Boromir armies is the inclusion of the elven cloak. From a strict theming perspective, Boromir never had such a cloak when he was fighting alongside the Warriors of Minas Tirith. I suppose you could use a "what if" theme such that Boromir survived attack of the Uruk-Hai scouts and went with Aragorn to Minas Tirith. Now, if you aren't concerned about theming, by all means, include it as it really helps keep Boromir from being pin-cushioned!!!
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm

I've already beat on the mounted Faramir version of this force (I should have phrased that as I have been beaten up by ...). Faramir is a stout hero, but he is not the equal of his brother in combat.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:34 pm

As many of you know I really like Faramir mounted. He can be a beast. I am going to try a bothers list for a tournament coming up here in Jan. Boromir mounted is also very good. I like that list the best. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Aragorn by the Bay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks for the voting! I'll go with list #2.

I've never used a hero > 75 points in my armies (Faramir & Cirion in Gondor; Durburz for Moria), so I just feel like sowing my oats! :o

Brent - I agree about theming. I also thought of a similar "excuse" that Boromir escaped from Amon Hen.

All - how does 52 models sound? I'm a little scared to go up against Hixon's 75-model Harad army! I feel like I'll be swarmed over! :shock:

Thanks all!
George
Aragorn by the Bay

Return to Army Lists (LotR)