Adoption 2017 Army Musings

Post and review Lord of the Rings army lists.

Adoption 2017 Army Musings

Postby JLeong » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 am

Matt and Tim might be the only folks reading this, but you guys are both great players and may be able to lend a good word of advice to an old dog attempting to learn a new trick. Most of my armies in the past decade have been pure infantry or mixed arms 2/3 infantry 1/3 or less of cavalry.

This year, after a number of years out of tournament play, I am hoping to use all cavalry. What better army to use, then, than the miniatures I've had forever but never used-- Rohan?!

So below is the list I'm considering:

650 Points

Eomer, Knight of the Pelennor on armored horse
10 Riders of Rohan w/ throwing spear + Westfold Redshield upgrade

Erkenbrand on horse
10 Riders of Rohan + Westfold Redshield upgrade

Elfhelm, Captain of Rohan with shield and horse
6 Riders of Rohan + Westfold Redshield upgrade

My concern is the low numbers, but that is to be expected with all cavalry lists, I suppose. I just remember the days of 500-600 point Rohan armies with 35 models used by Brent! That was back in LoME, though, so it's been a long time since I've seen anyone take a Rohan army!

I am wondering how I might be able to introduce some Sons of Eorl as well. That S4 3 attacks on the charge w/ armored horses really could make a difference, especially against D6 enemies.
While I'm not in touch with the general trend in tournaments these days, I get the impression that D6 is less crucial than it used to be, so D5 and D4 armies are more plentiful (looking at you, Elves).

Do you think I should drop something to go w/ Sons of Eorl? Is the Redshield upgrade a must?
I the Redshield upgrade is probably worth it in the end. FV4 is just too plentiful, and the points I would save don't justify losing that many combats on ties.
JLeong

Re: Adoption 2017 Army Musings

Postby BrentS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

JLeong wrote:My concern is the low numbers, but that is to be expected with all cavalry lists, I suppose. I just remember the days of 500-600 point Rohan armies with 35 models used by Brent! That was back in LoME, though, so it's been a long time since I've seen anyone take a Rohan army!

I'm still kicking around :D Your memory is failing you, counselor... My all mounted Rohan armies were typically 21-29 models (at 500-600 points). Back in the LOME days, I would have 1 named hero, 1 captain, and I "cheated" the bow limit by bringing Outriders also.

Matt's been trying to get me to join in the Hobbit festivities at Adepticon, sadly my schedule won't allow it. I'm mostly playing Frostgrave these days. But if I did return to Rings, I'd come charging across the Pelennor with an army of fully mounted Rohirrim. For Wrath, For Ruin, and for the Red Dawn!!!
BrentS

Return to Army Lists (LotR)