Trapping models

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Trapping models

Postby Derg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I'd like to get clarification on just what it takes to trap a model. In the past I've played games with people where if you could move your model 1" away from base contact in any direction (ie sideways) that he isn't trapped. Lately, from looking at the diagrams and wording in the new rulebook, we've been playing 1" in a straight line away from the attacking model, and playing it very strictly.

It's hard to describe without a picture, but an easy way to answer it might be to answer this:

Imagine a goblin attacking a dwarf on one of the new walkways, which are two bases wide. Both models have their back to the edge, meaning if they step backward they fall off. Is it possible for a single attacking model to trap a single defending model, or can the defender move 1" away sideways or at an angle? How much "fudge" should there be when determining "one inch directly away from the attacker"?

Thanks for your gaming wisdom.
Derg

Re: Trapping models

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

As I understand things it is supposed to be move BACK 1" to avoid being trapped. If you can't back away then you are trapped.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Another one that is huge that I think we all have been playing wrong for years which pretty much states that pike supported models in a phalanx are automatically trapped is the new text on making way for trapped models.

"Finally, only one model may Make Way for any one defeated friend - if one model making way is not enough to prevent a model from being Trapped, then no Make Way move is made and the model is still trapped."

From what I see from the ORB, this is just a clarified version of the old rule.
Lordgoober

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Lordgoober wrote:Another one that is huge that I think we all have been playing wrong for years which pretty much states that pike supported models in a phalanx are automatically trapped is the new text on making way for trapped models.

"Finally, only one model may Make Way for any one defeated friend - if one model making way is not enough to prevent a model from being Trapped, then no Make Way move is made and the model is still trapped."

From what I see from the ORB, this is just a clarified version of the old rule.

I've always played of that way. Careful generals will keep spaces in between the phalanx ranks to make sure this doesn't happen.
BrentS

Postby jlong05 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm

I know that we have been not playing the 1inch rule. I see many fights where models get separated, but not a full inch and it being counted as acceptable, but should actually be trapped.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 pm

I've been trying to politely enforce that rule. The rules update has provided a convenient reminder opportunity.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm

jlong05 wrote:I know that we have been not playing the 1inch rule. I see many fights where models get separated, but not a full inch and it being counted as acceptable, but should actually be trapped.

I completely agree with this. We really need to play this way, as it is how the game was designed.
BrentS

Postby Derg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 pm

That's pretty much what I thought, I've always expected players to move the full inch, but as I said I've had some games where the direction of the move away was treated extremely loosely. It would be nice if the pictures in the rulebook were a little clearer.

If you draw a straight line through the center of both models, and expect the retreating model to move exactly along that line 1", then there have been many cases where a model was trapped and not played as such - in many of those cases the model might not "seem" trapped because there is so much open space around it.

I just wanted to get some other people who know the tournament game well to weigh in. Thanks!
Derg

Postby jlong05 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 am

It's hard to determine the exact intention of the game designers with regard to this. I for one have no problem with sideways movement. nothing indicates there is a max move a model can make when retreating either. It just has to be straight away from the enemy model. To me, this means I should be able to run around the enemy to escape behind him, and I need a clear path to get at least 1 inch from him. Also you can enter other control zones, so as long as other enemy modes are outside an inch there is room, but this also means you don't have to surround a model and engage to actually trap him.

Assuming everyone starts enforcing this better, I think we will have much better games going forward where planning and model placement become even more important.
jlong05

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

Intention is simple. The model must end 1" away from the enemy model or it is trapped. You also don't get to move the model more than one inch since you are supposed to back the model away 1".

So if you can't back away then you are in trouble. They also clarified that you only get to move one model out of the way. So supporting with pikes in a triangle to prevent being trapped doesn't work anymore either.
Smeagol

Postby jlong05 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Smeagol wrote:Intention is simple. The model must end 1" away from the enemy model or it is trapped. You also don't get to move the model more than one inch since you are supposed to back the model away 1".

So if you can't back away then you are in trouble. They also clarified that you only get to move one model out of the way. So supporting with pikes in a triangle to prevent being trapped doesn't work anymore either.

Correction. I see now that it does say loser backs away 1".

An additional point though is it does not dictate direction of moving away, only that you must move 1" away and you need to try to get at least 1" away from the winning model. In fact, page 40(item 26 window) states that backing away, the goblin may move away in any direction he chooses. Not directly in a straight line base-to-base.

So you can move away sideways, diagonally etc... as long as you move no more than an inch.
jlong05

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)