So.... New weapons!

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

So.... New weapons!

Postby Sajii » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 am

1. Love the new goblins and rules so far! Quick question: Can you use the special strikes if you are being spear supported? There's almost no reason for the goblins to not use the new special strikes every duel.

Also, when do you declare the Heroic Channeling? It states "...who uses Heroic Channelling uses the Channelled versions of any magical powers that he casts this turn". In the case of Goblinz, does this mean:
You declare HC, then hope you roll a 3+ to get the channelled fury? If you don't get it, you've wasted both a might and will. Or:
You cast fury and roll a 3+, and THEN declare HC

Thoughts?
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Re: So.... New weapons!

Postby Smeagol » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

There is nothing that states you cannot use a weapons special strike while supportted. Spear support just means you have a second warrior in the fight who can't be hit if your side loses. Two handed weapons can be supportted so why not feinting swords or piercing strikes axes?

All Heroic Actions have always been declared when you spend the Might point. I interpret this to mean that you decide to cast the spell and declare a Heroic Channelling then throw your dice. How many times have you declared a HEroic Move only to have it cancelled by being engaged before you got to trigger it after all? Basically you are gambling and thus should spend two dice instead of one if you to improve your chances to successfully cast the improved spell. I would refer to the battle reports and look at how they handle this issue. OF course Battle Reports are notorious for making rules mistakes, but at least it's a guide.

I'm wondering what undead critter gets to cast the Channelled version of Paralyze since Wights don't have Might.
Smeagol

Postby Sajii » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:52 pm

The more I read into it, I agree. Looks like you have 1 chance to get a channeled Fury off per Goblin Shaman, so pray to the dice gods! Of course the spell got much better as well, so I can't complain too much. It seems the game has taken a ballsy turn with the new heroics and weapons. Almost any hero can now go toe to toe with another.

So far I'm loving the new spells. Sap Will, Transfix, and Blinding Light are much more balanced. The new Aura of Dismay makes Radagast a much more attractive option against some armies!
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Postby Smeagol » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 am

Sajii wrote:The more I read into it, I agree. Looks like you have 1 chance to get a channeled Fury off per Goblin Shaman, so pray to the dice gods! Of course the spell got much better as well, so I can't complain too much.

Keep in mind the .mithril Crown operates like a channelled version of the spell if you have it the table. Or more accurately Fury works like the channelled version without having to spend Might.
Smeagol

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)