Great Beast of Gorgoroth

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Great Beast of Gorgoroth

Postby BrentS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm

I've got some questions about how to handle the Great Beast of Gorgoroth as orc archers are killed. The rules state that the orc models are "integral" to the model so you should just mark the number of kills with a dice or some other suitable marker.

What I'm wondering is how will you work out line of site to and from a orc on top as they start dying. Models on the left side of the beast won't be able to target models on the right side of the beast. However, the models are free to move about the howdah I suppose to they could easily "fall into" line and the distance from one side to the other is less than 3" so they can move and shoot still. So I'm just trying to figure out how to mark causulties so accurately effect what's happening on the great beast.

Not sure if my question is coming through or not... its hard for me to put it into words.
Last edited by BrentS on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 pm

is there LOS from the left side, over the hump, to a target on the right side? it would require a model to check I guess

if there is, I would just always measure distance from the center of the model then as they all have LOS
BostonNazgul

Postby ChrisLS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm

If the rules says "integral to the model", then I'd say you should measure from the base. You'd never measure from the bow or the head of an orc on foot, because the base is integral to the model. Same principle. What I find interesting is that with the "Only Counts as One" rule, you can have a bunch of surviving archers running around whose deaths don't have any effect on breaking.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 pm

ChrisLS wrote: What I find interesting is that with the "Only Counts as One" rule, you can have a bunch of surviving archers running around whose deaths don't have any effect on breaking.

See, I don't read it that way... I read it as 11 models for the purpose of breaking but only 1 model for the purpose of warbands/bows.
BrentS

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)