Giant Eagles

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Giant Eagles

Postby thorhak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Quick question, about something came up during our League play last week. We have one player sporting a Great Eagle army composed of Gwaihir and 5 other Greatt Eagles.

The question that came up is whether Great Eagles are considered Monstrous. It doesn't say so in their Profile, and their are other creatures that are STR6+ (Mordor Trolls) that aren't considered Monstrous. On the other hand, I would consider their counterparts to be the Fell Beast and would reference the Battle at the Morannon in which the Great Eagles fought the Nazghul on Fell Beast directly and were victorious as a means to lend support to my thought that they should be considered Monstrous.

2nd question...assuming they are considered Monstrous, then they would NOT benefit from the Charge Bonus (i.e. an extra attack) as they are not mounted, but would benefit from the Knock Down rule if they win the fight. Right?
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Re: Giant Eagles

Postby febber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 pm

thorhak wrote:Quick question, about something came up during our League play last week. We have one player sporting a Great Eagle army composed of Gwaihir and 5 other Greatt Eagles.

The question that came up is whether Great Eagles are considered Monstrous. It doesn't say so in their Profile, and their are other creatures that are STR6+ (Mordor Trolls) that aren't considered Monstrous. On the other hand, I would consider their counterparts to be the Fell Beast and would reference the Battle at the Morannon in which the Great Eagles fought the Nazghul on Fell Beast directly and were victorious as a means to lend support to my thought that they should be considered Monstrous.

2nd question...assuming they are considered Monstrous, then they would NOT benefit from the Charge Bonus (i.e. an extra attack) as they are not mounted, but would benefit from the Knock Down rule if they win the fight. Right?

By strict reading of the rules, they are not monstrous mounts unless they have a rider. They don't have a monstrous charge rule like the SQ or Shelob or dragons either. The current rules raise an interesting question. Can they be mounts at all? In the ROTK rulebook, Gwaihir was only usable as a mount for Gandalf or Radagast, but the ORB removes that limitation and doesn't mention them as mounts as all.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

They are not monstrous mounts nor can they be mounted. The only exception was in the last edition and that had Gandalf atop Gwaihir. I believe there is a remnant of that rule in the Rulebook somewhere, but the majority of that text was expunged in the current version.

The eagles are mobile and can be interesting to play, but they lack any serious hitting power.

You can't use the movie as a reference or else trolls would be monstrous too. They routinely sent bodies flying whenever they landed a blow. The cave troll knocked both Gimli and Aragorn down with a one handed swipe.
Smeagol

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)