Horns

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Horns

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Is a horn really worth the 20 points it takes from a force? I own a few of them and rarely ever use them. I am considering including a horn blower in two of my current forces that are T.O.S. candidates.

One force has warg riders which makes a horn far more useful due to the increased possibility of a warg sticking around when it loses it's rider. The problem is that I have to lose 20 points out of my hero pool, which is already small (190 points), in order to put it into play. A Shaman actually works better than the horn and is relatively cheaper and more resilient to enemy action.

The other force consists of elves which you wouldn't think would need a horn blower, but my limited number of heroes in that force means that in some scenarios (Domination) I won't have enough Stand Fast candidates to cover the force. Of course I also have the option of just taking a Ranger of the North instead of a horn for the added courage (5) and Might which a horn won't provide. The horn provides a tabletop range as long as I can keep the model from being picked off by enemy action.

In all cases a horn counters the Harbringer of Evil and the other special abilities that do the same thing.

I don't think I've ever fielded a horn and I've only faced one once that I remember.
Smeagol

Postby Sajii » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:01 pm

I've been debating their effectiveness but have never used one. My belief is that they are worth it, especially in a warg based army. It's true shamans are more effective but their range is limited and in spread out missions such as domination they are not as effective. In a warg heavy army courage checks are much more important as they are taken more often. Wargtastic armies are also more spread out due to higher mobility (at least how I play) so the horn benefits more.
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 pm

That's partly where I'm coming from. I've converted a Warg Riding Tracker as a horn blower, but in order to use him I have to down grade three heroes as the loss of troops is not acceptable. The alliance is that tight.
Smeagol

Postby Gartl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:03 pm

The few times I have used them I have found them to be useful. I give up three warriors to have one, but odds are that it will keep more than three warriors from fleeing or allows more than three warriors to charge against terror causers. I think they are worth the points, but they have to be protected (which isn't hard as the horn works from anywhere on the battlefield).
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)