Kings of Men and WYSIWYG

Debate all the finer points of our fine hobby under the gaze of the Lidless Eye...

Should most games be "What You See is What You Get?"

Poll ended at Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Yes
92%
No
8%
Doesn't Matter to me!
No votes

Total votes : 12

Kings of Men and WYSIWYG

Postby JLeong » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:37 pm

I was mulling around some army lists with Minas Tirith allied with Fiefdoms earlier today. Lately I've become attached to the idea of using the profile for Kings of Men with armor and shield to represent powerful heroes from Minas Tirith like impressive commanders or Stewards themselves.
I like to play games with "What You See is What You Get" models.
If I gave my King of Men model a shield, do you think that I could claim he wears armor beneath his robes? If I were giving the hero heavy armor, I would swap his head onto a very heavily armored hero or use Isiuldur or Elendil models as proxies. I am, however, going for light armor, less than the full plate suits Minas Tirith's knights wear.

I've included a poll; I'm curious to see how many folks like to play WYSIWYG!
JLeong

Postby LongFang » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:54 pm

I voted "yes" but my answer is actually "for the most part". I have no problem with your example "king of men wears heavy armor", it's when Oh, this guy with a sword is really a pike, and this guy with a bow and no armor really has heavy armor and a sword and a shield....that's when it really gets confusing.
LongFang

Postby BrentS » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:31 am

I also voted "Yes" but I agree with LongFang. I think you could reasonably say that the King of Men has light armour under the robes. You could also just get a Generic Captain model (converted to you taste) and proxy him as a King of Men.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:07 am

I voted yes, because it makes it easier to see what is coming your way, but there are times when it is a serious pain. For example, I ALWAYS have my Rangers of Arnor equipped with spears. Not all of the models have spears and I am going to have to buy a ton of spear bits to put on the models (somewhere). It would just be rediculous to buy 3 boxes of Rangers of Middle Earth simply to get all spear armed models. What would I do with 72 rangers of middle earth?

By the same token, the Kings of Men. Do they ever carry shields on the model if you don't specifically convert them? If not, then why do they include it in the wargear? They are just making it harder for you to play with the models available to you.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:41 am

knitemare wrote:I voted yes, because it makes it easier to see what is coming your way, but there are times when it is a serious pain. For example, I ALWAYS have my Rangers of Arnor equipped with spears. Not all of the models have spears and I am going to have to buy a ton of spear bits to put on the models (somewhere). It would just be rediculous to buy 3 boxes of Rangers of Middle Earth simply to get all spear armed models. What would I do with 72 rangers of middle earth?

By the same token, the Kings of Men. Do they ever carry shields on the model if you don't specifically convert them? If not, then why do they include it in the wargear? They are just making it harder for you to play with the models available to you.

There are a ton of examples of wargear being available when the available models are not. In my Woses army, Radagast has an option for a horse, but their is no mounted model. Eomer is given the option of a shield, but I can't recall a model of him with a shield. Legions is riddled with these and they provide opportunities for hobbyists to convert and customize their armies.

Also, some of the wargear was added for future expansion. For example, when Legions was published, the Knights of Minas Tirith were given the options of shields. However the available current models did not come with shields. Later, when GiF was released, they issued the new plastic model boxed set with shields.
BrentS

Postby Angelos » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 am

BrentS wrote:
knitemare wrote:I voted yes, because it makes it easier to see what is coming your way, but there are times when it is a serious pain. For example, I ALWAYS have my Rangers of Arnor equipped with spears. Not all of the models have spears and I am going to have to buy a ton of spear bits to put on the models (somewhere). It would just be rediculous to buy 3 boxes of Rangers of Middle Earth simply to get all spear armed models. What would I do with 72 rangers of middle earth?

There are a ton of examples of wargear being available when the available models are not. In my Woses army, Radagast has an option for a horse, but their is no mounted model. Eomer is given the option of a shield, but I can't recall a model of him with a shield. Legions is riddled with these and they provide opportunities for hobbyists to convert and customize their armies.

Also, some of the wargear was added for future expansion. For example, when Legions was published, the Knights of Minas Tirith were given the options of shields. However the available current models did not come with shields. Later, when GiF was released, they issued the new plastic model boxed set with shields.

The gandalf the grey on horseback is an excellent model for converting radagast and saruman on horse back. I think that these will be random periodical releases without supplements just like Lurtz wih bow and generic goblin captains were.

And I voted yes for WYSIWYG, keeps the game easy and less stressful
Last edited by Angelos on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelos

Postby prion2001 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:32 pm

I would agree that WYSIWYG should be used but their are cases where you can reasonably assume a model has certain equipment. My King of Men from my GT army had Armour in his wargear. I never had a problem with this in any games and it was on my list so anyone who questioned it could double check me.

I think the key is to be reasonable and up-front and you would avoid most problems.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Return to Rules Discussions (LotR)