Helm's Deep....................?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Should we include Elves at Helm's Deep?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 12

Postby zgeist » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 pm

This all sounds very cool Josh.

I don't know if I can play - it depends on when and if I feel up to standing that much - but I would be more than happy to loan out my Uruks and my newly painted up armored Theoden's that I used all too briefly at Pellenor.

But you all may have plenty of models already. ;-P

I'll keep an eye on this forum to see what you all are up to. I really wish this forum could email me when there are new threads... :-(
zgeist

Postby chicagoSWANknights » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:34 pm

JLeong wrote:Oops, forgot Erkenbrand :lol:
Also, I read online that Gandalf didn't bring Erkenbrand and an army of cavalry, but infantry. Can we get a Tolkien scholar to confirm that one?
I think we'd be better off using cavalry, but what do you folks think?

"there suddenly upon a ridge appeared a rider, clad in white, shining in the rising sun. over the low hills the horns were sounding. behind him, hastening down the long slopes, were a thousand men on foot; their swords were in their hands. amid them strode a mna tall and strong. his shield was red. as he came to the valley's brink, he set to his lips a great black horn and blew a ringing blast. "erkenbrand!" the riders shouted."erkenbrand!"
hope that answers ur question. however i think that cavalry would be better.
chicagoSWANknights

Postby JLeong » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:13 pm

Well, I've been playing around with a date for the game.
How does Either December 1st (obviously, 1st saturday in Dec.) or December 8th (the second sat. in dec.) sound to everyone?
I'd really like to get as many people involved as possible!
JLeong

Postby MightyBearded1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Either 1 will work for me.
MightyBearded1

Postby prion2001 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:01 pm

My vote would be for December 8th. The big issue is making sure we have the models we would need and the terrain. I would rather wait and have good terrain and all painted forces than rush it. Just my opinion though.

Josh, if you can muster up the terrain I can try and work out some rules and scenario stuff for this. I have some ideas as I've been looking over the Two Towers Journeybook.

You said you and Brent had Helm's Deep models? If so, we might only need some wall sections for the Deeping Wall and maybe a ruined wall section in the off chance the Uruk-hai demolition team blows up the wall. :wink:

Later,

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby knitemare » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:50 pm

prion2001 wrote:My vote would be for December 8th. The big issue is making sure we have the models we would need and the terrain. I would rather wait and have good terrain and all painted forces than rush it. Just my opinion though.

Josh, if you can muster up the terrain I can try and work out some rules and scenario stuff for this. I have some ideas as I've been looking over the Two Towers Journeybook.

You said you and Brent had Helm's Deep models? If so, we might only need some wall sections for the Deeping Wall and maybe a ruined wall section in the off chance the Uruk-hai demolition team blows up the wall. :wink:

Later,

Jamie

I spoke with Chad and he says that he has the terrain. I was waiting for him to appear in the bunker today but he didn't show. If he is around at all tomorrow I'll ask him about it again. I'll also make sure he knows the p ossible dates.

He said he lent it to the bunker one day for someones birthday party (wanted a helms deep battle birthday?)
knitemare

Postby chicagoSWANknights » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 pm

i agree with jamie, that way it would look awesome when we played with fully painted armies. i know it sounds really bad, but would january be better just so we have time to plan this all out, cuz the pelennor fields battle was over a long period of time. as well, we can also decide on if we want to go by the movie, book, or a little of both. that way we know if we need armoured wood elves or not.
chicagoSWANknights

Postby JLeong » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 pm

I'm glad to see activity in the thread! I was at the Red Top store today, and I picked up my first box of Uruks. Hopefully I can have around 70 by the time Dec. rolls around.
The reason why I chose early December was because, at least for me, January is a really difficult month. I have midterm exams, and after that I am out of town with various groups until the 3rd weekend in Feb. If January works better for everyone else, though, I can try to make it work!
I agree with you guys, fully painted armies are a must. I spoke with Tom at the bunker after the Pellennor fields game, and he brought up something really interesting. He said that the managers of all the Chicagoland stores meet at the bunker once (maybe twice, I don't remember- I'll have to ask again) a month. He suggested that we ask to borrow all of the stores' Uruk-hai models. I'll talk to him about it again as I'm not exactly certain how that would go over :wink:

I think something we should shoot for at the moment is to develop some scenarios for the game, then focus on participants. Way back in the early days of my gaming, Chris from the Libertyville store worked at GW Randhurst mall (my first store). I took part in my first Helm's Deep games, and one special rule that was always worked into the scenarios was the "Regenerating Uruk" rule. Until a certain turn or until evil had reached a certain objective, every Uruk-hai warrior (not berserkers or captains) that was slain entered the table from the evil deployment zone the turn after. If we have a problem mustering ALL the Uruks we need, we might consider using this special rule. I'll start finalizing some scenario ideas, and I'd love to see any that you guys come up with!
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:37 am

I'd love to see Momemtum carry over and work towards December. However, as I can attest, there is a lot of planning that has to go into an event like this.

I think the first thing that has to happen is for the forces to be mustered. We need to know who can play on the proposed days and who has what models available. I'll check with my family schedule regarding Dec 8th. December is always tricky with family commitments.

I can tell you know that if I can play, I can supply 600 points of Rohan (including Eomer and Gamling). I can also paint Erkenbrand and have him available.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 am

I have to find out about the 8th. I'm about to start my Rohan force and should easily have 500 points or more painted before December.

Painting Uruks appears to be 5 or 6 steps. If there is a need for them, I can pick up 25 or 50 and assembly line paint them in a weekend.
knitemare

Postby prion2001 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:39 am

Josh, if it's ok with you I will work out some scenarios and lists over the weekend so we can start seeing what models we will need. As for the regeneratin Uruk-hai rule, the Two Tower Journeybook does exactly that. I plan to use that book as the basis.

I have about 30 Uruk-hai including two Berserkers but I have to double check that number. I also have three armoured elves and armoured Haldir along with the Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. I have some ladders as well but no battering ram.

I'm planning on running another Adepticon Primer Tournament in January so I probably couldn't make that and this event if we move this one to January.

Later,

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby knitemare » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 am

prion2001 wrote:I have about 30 Uruk-hai including two Berserkers but I have to double check that number. I also have three armoured elves and armoured Haldir along with the Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. I have some ladders as well but no battering ram.

How many ladders do there need to be and what size are they? I would love to make some.
knitemare

Postby JLeong » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 am

Go right ahead with the scenarios, Jamie. I know you'll write them really well.
In terms of siege engines:
I have a ballista, as does Drew (who you should see posting here soon lol)
I plan on picking up another one as well as 1 or 2 boxes of the uruk siege troops. I have 3 really long ladders and two shorter (uruk siege sprue) ladders at the moment. I'm not sure how tall all of the ladders should be, but we will once we get the dimensions of the model. I also have an uruk battering ram, and I think Drew does as well.
Do we want to set each player points values for their scenarios like we did for P.F, or do we want pre-determined force lists?
The activity on this thread is great!
JLeong

Postby knitemare » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 am

What are all of the possibilities of armies in this scenario?

Minas Tirith
Rohan
Elves (which ones?)
Uruk-Hai
Isengard Trolls?
Orcs?

What else?
knitemare

Postby JLeong » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:55 am

Minas Tirith won't have a presence at Helm's Deep (well, other than Aragorn but he files in under "The Fellowship" list)
Uruk-hai will make up the majority of the evil force, but orcs, isengard trolls, uruk-hai berserkers, feral uruks, and Dunlandings will also have a presence. The attackers will also need siege ladders, ballistae, and battering rams (we have demolition charges covered). We may want to include warg riders, and I don't know if any of us has Dunland warriors ( I imagine we'll use the new ones released with TTT supplement instead of the old cloth-wearing ones, but whatever people have is fine)

For good, warriors of Rohan will be the majority of the defense force. I added a poll to the post to see if we want to include elves or not; I wasn't sure whether or not to included them as we seem to be headed towards a by the book path. The possibility of a book-movie "hybrid" is always there as well.
Riders of Rohan will be important for the relief force as well as Theoden's ride out.
Everything in terms of participants depends upon the scenarios we choose. At the moment, Jamie is working on some.
JLeong

PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings News