Any players that can play near me?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Any players that can play near me?

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Hey guys, Im newly back to the hobby, and I was hoping to find some players. Im not sure if Im any good at this at all. I havent played a competitive game since before the Hobbit came out, and frankly, I want to play, and need practice!

I signed up for the event on this website as well...

So anyone here play and what area? Im just looking for people to practice some time. I guess a close marker to me would be the Games Workshop Chicago Bunker. Its about 30-40 minutes from me. Anyone near there? And does anyone know of a club or group that has anything regulated near there or Chicago?
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Re: Any players that can play near me?

Postby prion2001 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Where are you located? I'm on the south side (Tinley Park). As for gaming spaces, with the Bunker and Orland Park GWs moving to one man stores, not sure of any good store space to play. Games plus up north, Draxtar in Batavia (?) is another I've been hearing about.

Most of us have terrain and can probably find someone willing to host a game.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:05 am

Well, I need any practice I can get. Ill look into those stores and maybe call em up and see. Ill let you know in this topic when I do.

Good call. I didnt know the GW stores were both 1 man stores.....I dont understand how they can even play their 40k tournaments.....?
ADEPTICON Hobbit players. I'd love your support. I with others are working on a Hobbit League that has no mandatory attendance and no fees. We have goals to keep this hobby functioning in the future and are currently working on monthly tournaments.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:15 am

Doing tournaments isn't something GW is going to really be doing anymore. It's not in the corporate philosophy right now.
Lordgoober

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm

So is there plan to just sell minis and let other hobby shops host tournemants for their products???

If it is, then wow.
Bolg_Was_Epic

Postby BrentS » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Bolg_Was_Epic wrote:So is there plan to just sell minis and let other hobby shops host tournemants for their products???

If it is, then wow.

That's sort of been their business model for a while. Most of the tournaments, even those held at the Bunker were run by clubs and not GW "sanctioned".

We haven't had a GW sponsored LOTR tournament in many years. We did use the Bunker space to host events though.

The biggest problem the LOTR group has had is that since we are a small segment of the GW gaming population we don't have "built in" opponents at every location. We'd have to make special plans to get many of the group together. There are pockets of players scattered across the area (from the SW Suburbs all the way up to the Milwaukee suburbs) but never more than 1-3 people in any one location. The bunker was a semi-reasonable meeting ground but in reality the group pretty much just got together around the two major gaming events - Adepticon in March/April and BBB in Oct/Nov. Sadly attendance at both has really been dwindling.
BrentS

Postby Namiel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:53 pm

I am in the SW suburbs not too far from the bunker and I am always down for a game of LOTR. Message me here and we can set something up
Namiel

Postby memphismitch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:15 pm

To all that have responded... I am a new hobbit/lotr player and I have just recently bought a couple of war bands. Andrew the mgr at the new Games Workshop in Orland Park (at lakeview plaza) corner of 159th and LaGrange is trying to build interest in the game... on Wednesdays, he has scenarios for anyone interested in coming. He is planning on doing some more things to promote the game coming up in April too. Usually I play fantasy, but I gave it a shot and I find the game faster paced and much easier to understand.... I run skirmishes with Andrew, but we would like to have more opponents... come on out to the store -- Wood Elf Captain, Memphis Mitch.
memphismitch

Postby Bolg_Was_Epic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:50 am

I replied to your topic but just to say it again, Ill be there!
Bolg_Was_Epic

Return to Lord of the Rings News