LotR Events at Adepticon

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

LotR Events at Adepticon

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am

Gentlemen,
Is there a typical schedule the LotR events adhere to at Adepticon typically? I'm making a resolution to play more in 2014 and I'd like to start planning, based on what the potential schedule is. I can go back and look at last year's events, but I just wondered if anyone knew what 2014 might look like,

Dave
DavePauwels

Re: LotR Events at Adepticon

Postby griffen127 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Jamie will know. I think
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby prion2001 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Nothing is set yet so this is all just opinions that have been discussed amongst a few of the guys who have run events or helped with them in the past. We will have a Team event but this may be the only LotR event this year. The main reason is that many of the players are chomping at the bit to play other things at Adepticon so they want to keep their schedules a bit more open over the weekend.

The event would likely be Friday as it has been in the past. No final decision on point values but I know some in the group have been advocating increased points (i.e. 1000 per team, 500 per team member) to encourage heroes and monsters that don't normally get play. If this does happen it could mean a longer day as 2 hours may not be enough for a game of that size. In addition, some have wanted to see a return to 4 games instead of 3 as this sorts out the field a bit better. Again, this would add to the length of the event.

Of all the items above, the only things I'm fairly certain of are that we will have one larger event (Team) only and that this will most likely be Friday. Points, number of rounds, schedules are all things we need to hammer out in the coming weeks.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

I am totally going to hold you to this! no more civil war for you!
BostonNazgul

Postby DavePauwels » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:59 am

Out of curiosity, has there ever been any discussion of an alternative format for an event? By which I mean, instead of the standard tournament format, you might have a "big game" style event. For example, you decide that 2014 big game might be Helm's Deep. You register players and which side they're aligned with. You set a point size per person.

The historical guys have started doing this, to some extent, and it seemed to work out well. It gives you a cool centerpiece themed event and would be fantastic for people like me who want to play LotR but don't really like tournaments, per se.

I'm sure you guys have thought about this. It just seems, with a solid core group of LotR players, this sort of game would come off brilliantly.

D
DavePauwels

Postby Dragi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Is the singles going to be 600 again or bigger? I'm planning on coming to this one mainly because of LOTR.
"By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!" -

King Elessar
Dragi

Postby BrentS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Dragi wrote:Is the singles going to be 600 again or bigger? I'm planning on coming to this one mainly because of LOTR.

Dragi, it's looking like there will only be one LOTR event and it looks to be a team event.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:06 pm

DavePauwels wrote:Out of curiosity, has there ever been any discussion of an alternative format for an event? By which I mean, instead of the standard tournament format, you might have a "big game" style event. For example, you decide that 2014 big game might be Helm's Deep. You register players and which side they're aligned with. You set a point size per person.
D

It wouldn't surprise me to see something like this organized in the future. Even with a core group of players, the tournament scene is starting to dry up.
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm

DavePauwels wrote:Out of curiosity, has there ever been any discussion of an alternative format for an event? By which I mean, instead of the standard tournament format, you might have a "big game" style event. For example, you decide that 2014 big game might be Helm's Deep. You register players and which side they're aligned with. You set a point size per person.

The historical guys have started doing this, to some extent, and it seemed to work out well. It gives you a cool centerpiece themed event and would be fantastic for people like me who want to play LotR but don't really like tournaments, per se.

I'm sure you guys have thought about this. It just seems, with a solid core group of LotR players, this sort of game would come off brilliantly.

D

Hmm, I wonder who we could get to organize/run something like this? :twisted:

In all seriousness, I think this could be a cool idea but I'm thinking people would still want a tournament in addition. So then the issue becomes where to fit this sort of extra event in. But it would potentially be a shorter time frame so it could always work as a late night game or on an off day like Thursday or Sunday. I enjoyed the Pellanor Fields game we did many years ago at the Bunker. I think, given the model collections most of us have, we could pull of some sort of big game.

I think there is a LotR slump at the moment but I think that may change. So if this doesn't happen this year I certainly think it is something to keep on the table for future Adepticons.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 pm

yeah. I'm definitely in a slump and in a bit of a money crunch. As it is, I'm going to be keeping a few armies (Dwarves, Hobbits, Harad, Corsairs and my Ringwraiths and Sauron) but am selling off everything else. I've got someone on TLA poring over the inventories right now but the rest is going to go into the G+ Auction.
Lordgoober

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:41 am

I like the idea of a larger multi-person sided game. I think we have kicked around the idea of the battle of five armies in the future already...
BostonNazgul

Return to Lord of the Rings News