hobbit 2!

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

hobbit 2!

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 pm

BostonNazgul

Re: hobbit 2!

Postby BrentS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Good stuff... I was surprised they showed Smaug in this trailer at all. I thought he would be a more secret reveal in a later trailer. He's HUGE.

Also, I was very surprised to see what I suspect must be Bard looks a lot like Orlando Bloom as Will Turner.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:30 pm

ill save judgement, but the barrel scene looks like one of those drawn out 3D fiestas.... I wonder how far they are going to go with dol guldor.....
BostonNazgul

Postby jlong05 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:ill save judgement, but the barrel scene looks like one of those drawn out 3D fiestas.... I wonder how far they are going to go with dol guldor.....

I am so tired of movies where the 3D is so obvious. I prefer 3D movies that the effect was added later so it wasn't the primary focus. This way the movie is still enjoyable without have those 3D fiesta moments as you put it.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby febber » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Yeah the "Bard looks like Legolas" thing is an issue - and when I first saw Beorn I thought wth is "Fluffy" (or at least one of his heads) doing in this movie?

One thing is clear - whether I like the movie or not (and of course I will even with Jackson bending it to the break point) my son will be telling me about it for weeks - he saw the trailer and he keeps asking me how long till we go see it.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby orcishthug » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 pm

So Frank, is the young hobbit old enough to play one of the kids scenarios we used to run at Hurricon?
Eric and William played Warhammer RTT's at 8 and 9.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:31 pm

orcishthug wrote:So Frank, is the young hobbit old enough to play one of the kids scenarios we used to run at Hurricon?
Eric and William played Warhammer RTT's at 8 and 9.

Mine is approaching that age and we had a one LOTR game already where I handled the rules and made tactical suggestions.

How did you approach teaching your boys the game? They were really good by the time I met them.
Smeagol

Postby orcishthug » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm

They started both Warhammer and LOTR with Scenario play, especially LOTR where I was (usually) the GM and there wasn't much around in the way of tournaments. I think LOTR scenario play is underrated. They learned the rules that way and played on "Teams". Frank helped school all of us during LOTR scenario play and strategies carried over (later) to tournaments.

The Warhammer scene was thick with RTT's and very good players in the area. They liked the game and enjoyed their chosen armies and got thumped mercilessly for about two years at RTTs often 2-3 a month. Running up against Jordan Braun and his ilk every other week at that age was a good lesson for them. They got thick skins and learned as they went along. By the time they got to early-mid teens they were as good as anyone. William won his last 3 of 4 with Jordan before he moved and finished 3rd at Adepticon (out of over 100) before we dropped out of Warhammer with the latest edition.

Once LOTR tournaments started here they were similarly schooled by Frank only in a less intense fashion.

Since LOTR is dead around here we are revisiting WHFB. I still can't quite wrap my mind around the latest edition. We all played in an RTT a couple weeks ago and were all told we were like cranky old men telling the kids to get off the lawn with our running commentary on how the rules used to be better and made more sense......
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:56 pm

We share the same opinion of WHFB. Scenario play is where we have started. So I'll continue that.

Thanks for your feedback.
Smeagol

Return to Lord of the Rings News