Building Bilbo's Birthday Bash... the army

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Building Bilbo's Birthday Bash... the army

Postby BrentS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Well, its time to start a new WIP army thread. Here's the first entry for the new army based on the theme "Bilbo's Birthday Bash". For those that know me, you know that I love as many conversions as I can squeeze into an army and whenever possible I try not to have the same model repeated twice in my army. Well this new army created quite the little conversion opportunities. When its all done, I'll 39 different Hobbits...

Here's a few of the WIP conversions... most of these are ready to be primed.

First some simple head conversions - slice off the hat and add some hair:

Next, we have a model that started as Farmer Maggot and got a new head. The weapon arm came from the two handed hammer from the Militia model. I flattened out the hammer and filed it down to make an axe:

Here's what you do with the other parts of the Farmer Maggot and Militia model:

Next up some parts from Fatty Bolger and Paladin Took. Added some suspenders and gave Fatty a haircut. He still needs a weapon but I'm not sure what to do with that yet:

This one is a mounted Bullroarer Took and the legs from another Hobbit. I don't remember which one. I was shocked at well they matched. Only added a bit of greenstuff as a belt to hide the seam:

Here's a charging Militia. Not a very happy party guest it seems... must be a Sackville-Baggins:

Here's my favorite of the bunch. No face but sure has a lot of character. Someone had a bit too much to drink:

Here's a group shot with a couple others that I didn't feature:

More to come! I've also got a few conversions for a couple of the heroes (Frodo, Pippin, and Merry). Also... special model for Rosie Cotton, assuming I can pull it off.
BrentS

Re: Building Bilbo's Birthday Bash... the army

Postby jlong05 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

As always, top notch for conversions.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby BostonNazgul » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:26 am

and the watcher in the water says..... NOM NOM NOM

ps the drunk one is awesome
BostonNazgul

Postby thorhak » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 pm

[quote]Here's my favorite of the bunch. No face but sure has a lot of character. Someone had a bit too much to drink:

I"m surprised the description didn't read, "And here's Keith after the GitD in 2010" lol :twisted:
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Postby BrentS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

thorhak wrote:I"m surprised the description didn't read, "And here's Keith after the GitD in 2010" lol :twisted:

Ha!! Great idea... I'm going to name this one "Keith"
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm

A few more WIPs to show:

First a pair of Militia wielding pick-axes:

Next up a pair of Militia with clubs converted to axes:

And here's too trouble-making Hobbit's getting into Gandalf's Firework display:

These next two are still in the sculpting WIP phase. First is Sam's best girl, Rosie Cotton. The base model is a halfling thief from the Reaper line:

The second is Frodo posed with his arms crossed... "You're late"
I'm not very happy with the arms and I'm learning as I go. I may cut them back and give them another go.

Finally, the last WIP is not truly mine but its the Halfling Farmer model that is being given away at Adepticon as promotional figure for all LOTR attendees. I'll get to paint the first casts made but this is his original "green".
BrentS

Postby Derg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 pm

If you are interested in a suggestion for Frodo's folded arms:

The scale looks nice, but his hands shouldn't really show. Fold your arms in front of a mirror, I tuck my hands in when my arms are folded. Perhaps bring his elbows in a little as well. Really though, You're on the right track, don't give up on the pose, it looks great.

Your firework hobbits are fantastic! Great creative use of the poses, and also your solution for the sparks and smoke is a stroke of creative brilliance.

Will these be at Bilbo's Bash next year? If I can make it out I'd love to see the final results.
Derg

Postby BrentS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Derg wrote:
The scale looks nice, but his hands shouldn't really show. Fold your arms in front of a mirror, I tuck my hands in when my arms are folded. Perhaps bring his elbows in a little as well. Really though, You're on the right track, don't give up on the pose, it looks great.

Will these be at Bilbo's Bash next year? If I can make it out I'd love to see the final results.

Thanks for the feedback, I actually printed some picture of people with arms crossed so I know what you mean. I tried to make to look look the hands were tucked in but I honesty think my armature is messed up and I will probably cut the arms off and try again.

The plan is to use this at Adpeticon but I will probably bring them for BBB to set out as well.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm going to have to steal that Rosie idea for that model. I really don't like the model much, but I do like the changes you've made for it.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Well the combination of a super busy personal life, unexpected work travel, and the ever looming Adepticon deadlines... I've had to put the Hobbits on hold. There is no way I'm going to be able to finish them and my team army at the same time. :cry: I hope to put some time into them this summer and have them available for BBB as a ringer army.

I will hopefully getting a painted version of the new Halfling farmer up very soon though.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 pm

ALLLLLL ABBOOOAAAARRRDDDDDD! excuse train leaving the station! next stop, Procrastination Station! :wink:
BostonNazgul

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:17 am

we should rename this the Acon smack talk thread for that sick burn, you better call a firefighter
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am

Woo-woo
BrentS

Return to Lord of the Rings News