Hobbit February Releases

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Hobbit February Releases

Postby BrentS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 pm

New February releases are on advanced order.
BrentS

Re: Hobbit February Releases

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm

$50 kinda sucks for 6 riders but it looks like they are at least putting some variation and custom choices in the kits.
BostonNazgul

Postby Siegrend » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 am

Perhaps I just need someone to talk me down, but I love Lord of the Rings, I love this game...but these prices are prohibitive to me collecting more models. It's not even that I can't afford them, I just can't bring myself to pay near twice as much for models than what they were just a year or so ago. $50 for 6 Rivendell Knights? Morgul Knights and Galadhrim Knights were $33 just a year ago. Now the same type of kit is worth near $20 more? I have to spend $40 for Finecrap heroes that were $28 in unanimously superior metal a year ago? How do they hope to attract new hobbyists and gamers to LoTR/Hobbit with these prices? We could barely get people to buy in before?

I couldn't wait for these Rivendell Knights to come. GW had a purchase from me waiting. Not doing it now. Not for $50. On principal alone I can't do it.

LOL! I was told never to write a message angry. Luckily I'm not at work.
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

Postby Lordgoober » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:09 am

Yeah, I've been priced out of the GW hobby at this point. The only reason I'm getting a box of Grim Hammers is because I tossed a box full of random minis to one of the high schoolers (box had most of the minis from a MoM box and a bunch of Isengard uruk Hai) and when he asked me how much I wanted I told him to give me a box of the Grim Hammers.
Lordgoober

Postby BrentS » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 am

I too am very disappointed with this new price point. The new prices have definitely cut back how I purchase models. I have also started buying whatever I can from online vendors where I can get a discount.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I dont get the inconsistency. Gondor knights cost 29.75. 6 plastic models. Elf knights cost 50.... if you are going to completely price gouge into extinction levels, at least be consistent.

so many other companies give you more models for cheaper and are still around. I do not think I will ever buy a hero model from GW ever.
BostonNazgul

Postby prion2001 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

I was so psyched, then I saw the price of those Elf Knights. It was like getting kicked in the ding dong. :shock:

I have no idea why the Knights of Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth and these Elf Knights are all different prices? As others have said, to bad for them as I will not be buying those anytime soon ($33 would have made me think but wouldn't have stopped me). I have models to play with, I'll buy ones I need when I can and I won't hold out hope for an influx of new players unless there are a lot of Mitt Romney's out there looking to get into the hobby. :roll:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm not going to apologize for the prices, I agree they are outrageous. However, I have read elsewhere that the royalties that GW has to pay for the license is much higher for the Hobbit compared to LOTR.

Now that doesn't explain why hunter Orc fell Warg riders are $17 less for the same number of models.
BrentS

Postby jlong05 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 am

Also doesn't explain why other companies who also pay the higher license fee for Hobbit, such as Lego have t increased their prices. Set prices there are still online with all their other systems. Seems to me that most companies have decided to just deal with a lower return where GW has instead jacked up the cost to overall increase their return. I doubt the royalties are seriously 50% more, but the sets GW is selling seem to have gone up that much.

Also, why are we still paying a premium for finecast? Was t that supposed to reduce manufacturing costs?
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 am

well. I got that box of grim hammers from the kid I tossed a ton of moria goblins and uruk hai to a while ago. The modes are great looking. The building of them was absolutely FRUSTRATING. First off. All there is in the box is the sprue and the bases. No instruction page (or at least in my box and the one that was gotten by someone else). On the sprue are the 12 torsos and the arms, all with numbers next to them. A small portion of them were easy to identify from the back of the box (the first four which had both arms connected to the weapon on the sprue or were just one arm with weapon and the other arm molded on the torso already. The rest were those AGGRAVATING two part arms where one arm is complete on the weapon and the second hand is on the weapon while the second arm/shoulder is a separate bit which you have to try to connect cleanly. Without instructions to show which arms should go on which torso, it was very frustrating and I know I have a couple gaps I'm going to need to fix.
Lordgoober

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:56 pm

I don tknow I built some Hunter orcs on wargs without istructions. There were different bits on the sprue. It was nice to be able to customize the models, in my opinion, alot better than the just clipping a model and trimming it and glueing to a base.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 am

I am so angry with the price of those rivendell knights I went out and bought one.....
BostonNazgul

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 am

I know exactly what you are talking about.

The best thing WE have going for us is that with the new releases we only need a box because most of us have so many models and armies already. It is a problem for newer people getting into the game but it is still way cheaper than 40K and way cheaper than fantasy.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Return to Lord of the Rings News