The Hobbit - first impressions

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

The Hobbit - first impressions

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Really enjoyed the story. There were still some surprises which I liked. It was most excellent to see Gandalf all over again.

I didn't like the higher film rate. Was a bit distracting and I think that computer animation looked worse because of it. There were some other annoyances but I don't want to talk about too much that could be spoilerish.

Picked up the cool 3D glasses, came with an excellent bag which will make a great dice bag!
BrentS

Re: The Hobbit - first impressions

Postby rustin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:03 am

I agree with you on almost everything here. The dwarves were a real delight too. Funnnnny!

There was one character i could have done without.... too CGI-ish. Im seeing it in 24fps tomorrow and im curious to see if its any better in that format.
rustin

Postby griffen127 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am

Goblin town was to busy. The sled was just dumb and I couldn't wait for it being over. The 3D was the best I've seen, the depth was great (higher frame rate). All and All I really like it and am very happy with it. The childness of it shown though which was nice as I enjoy the books and it seemed to be close.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby febber » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm

The handling of Radagast didn't give me warm and fuzzies and I didn't see any need to add drama by resurrecting a specific dead orc and having him chase the group across Eriador. Although the idea of being constantly harried was well done. Other than that the movie was amazing. Man I'd hate to be an orc warg rider. Basically get to fight a who's who of middle earth uberheroes.

Funny that some critics are calling the movie "bloated" because of the plot expansion, saying that Jackson has taken a simple book and made it too big. I don't hear many real Tolkien fans complaining about the backstory. Azanulbizar was amazing.

Now, the more important things. I already GW, where are my high elf cavalry that you've owed us for 10 years? I want Elrond and sons just like they looked in the movie!
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:04 pm

febber wrote:
Now, the more important things. I already GW, where are my high elf cavalry that you've owed us for 10 years? I want Elrond and sons just like they looked in the movie!

They are coming in February!!
BrentS

Postby griffen127 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Your my boy BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby febber » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:35 pm

griffen127 wrote:Your my boy BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo, dog!
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby old coast » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm

I loved the beginning tie in with Fellowship and the Erebor backstory...I thought the Azog stuff was a bit odd for an literary embellishment as it should concluded in this film
why drag him out when there are so many more bad guys??...Thorin should have finished it on the cliff. I found myself liking the dwarves (even the beardless one I given the most criticism too) in context on the screen ( and I saw a normal 24 FPS cut) they were great. I too thought moria was too busy...and odd mix of comic action and gore.
I liked the Radagast / Necro subplot stuff enough....although I though Christopher Lee was weirdly CGI'd??? (he is 90!)
The Gollum/ Bilbo scene Riddle scene was brilliant. I liked it the whole thing together quite a bit..not sure how it stacks with original trilogy..I'll have to wait for the final directors cut for that...I'll probably go see it again in the theatre....
old coast

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 am

Well here is my 2 cents---I loved the movie. I thought it was well done. I in fact loved the sled!!! I really enjoyed the scenery I know I may be goofy that way. I am going to see it again in the theater. No doubt. I actually want to watch the movie and not think about how that would be cool if they came out with models for this and that and how I could do that diarama. I left wanting more, in fact alot of people I talked to felt the same way.

Josh actually went again tonight with a couple of friends.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby prion2001 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 am

I thought it was great. I went in accepting that it would not be The Lord of the Rings trilogy and I'm glad I did that. The Rings trilogy will probably be my favorite films of all time. But this stands on it's own as a great film and in some ways much more fun and humorous than The Rings. The Hobbit was a great film, much more "child-like," as the book is, but I thought he did a good job of tying it to the much darker and epic story of The Lord of the Rings and the background of Middle-earth. The high frame rate was strange at times (some characters moved a bit to fast) but the 3-D was probably the best I've seen.

I wasn't feeling the desire to paint much of the new stuff but after seeing the film I'm hooked. Grimm Hammers, Elf Knights, Hunter Orcs, Goblins...... I ended up giving in and opening my Escape from Goblin Town box yesterday instead of letting the family wrap it for me for Christmas. I just had to see and touch the models myself plus it saves me from doing something stupid like buying MORE models I don't need. :roll:
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, I saw it at the Navy Pier IMAX, with standard film speed, in 3D.

It was the fastest three hours I've ever experienced at a movie theatre. I thought all the actors were incredibly spot-on. Martin Freeman IS Bilbo Baggins. I thought Gollum and the Great Goblin were literally the best GCI characters I've ever seen. The pacing was fine and the expositional stuff (War of Dwarves and Orcs) was engaging.

I guess, as an Orc fan (Orcologist?), I was confused as to why Azog had to replace his offspring in the film. Though I still feel something was up with that- Bolg has made an appearance as a GW model and as an action figure already. Was there some 11th hour change, I wonder? I'm fine with it and I suspect it will be even more dramatic once Bolg does show up.

I would kill for a Battle of Azanulbizar/War of Dwarves and Orcs supplement and model range.

Dave
DavePauwels

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:20 pm

In fact, doing some research into this phenomenon:
Notice how they've released a model of Bolg but not Azog? And how the backstory in the rulebook says Azog was killed by Dain and that Bolg rules the orcs? Looks like nobody told GW about the last minute changes to the film. The best part is, they even scuptled a miniature of bikie Azog. There is a single picture of him in the rulebook, though I doubt he will ever get released. This goes a long way to explaining why there are no scenarios for the Hobbit game aside from various battles in goblintown. They didn't know what other scenes would even be in the film.

The title of the post is 'How GW Got Screwed On The Hobbit':
http://www.westgamer.com/forum/viewtopi ... 82&t=22956

This is really interesting- and I sorta saw it coming.
DavePauwels

Postby Sajii » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm

I went in skeptical, but afterwards immediately bought the starter set with a new rekindled interest in the tabletop game!

Oh, Radagast.... I could barely believe it upon seeing him. What a difference from the model we're all used to! I was expecting a slightly hippie wizard, not that! When that crazed mushroom lunatic was outrunning the wargs with a RABBIT sleigh, I felt like I was on mushrooms myself...

But I love him! Probably my favorite LOTR character now ;)
What, do I sign my name here or something?
Sajii

Return to Lord of the Rings News