New rules what's your impression?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

New rules what's your impression?

Postby griffen127 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am

So I am sure most of us have read the rules by now. What do you think? What’s good, and bad about them? Is this going to change your plans for your next up and coming list?

I'll start it off.
I think that alot of the new rules are interesting. I believe that that it will take a little time to get use to them. My worry is if you play people that want to slow the game down by doing things that really don't need to be rolled for and as such waste time. Example I want to use my swords special rule, we are both fight 4. There is no need to roll to see how far your fight goes down. If we tie I lost the fight. Or you can roll a different color die at the same time every time to see what you lower your fight by (or defense). This takes the extra time to roll a die out of the game. You just need to play someone that understands the rules and is not an idiot. I believe that the troops are right in line with the previous stats. I do believe that the new heroes are better than old ones. Example some of the orc heroes are the same profile as Gorbag but they have a special rule. Now it may not seem to big now but if you have 3 heroes with special rules you can use them to great effect with some creative movement. All and all I think that the troops are pretty close and the Heroes a little/fair amount better. Nothing that I believe will upset the game. My 2 up and coming list are not going to be changed except by adding 1-3 of the new troop’s figs. (I like the look) I read that the game is very different from the 1 ring. I just don't see it. The new we opens won't really change my style of play. I can see some really cool options and an edge if people take time to convert there army to play a certain way but if you do that you will need to get your figs where you want them when you want to. If your friend doesn’t do anything to make that hard on you then more the fool. All and all I think its going to be pretty much the same. I may be total wrong but only time will tell.
God that take a long to type on a phone.

So Who is next? I have a guess. 8)
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Re: New rules what's your impression?

Postby old coast » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

griffen127 wrote:So I am sure most of us have read the rules by now. What do you think? What’s good, and bad about them? Is this going to change your plans for your next up and coming list?

Not sure I've comprehended everything yet, spent the most time on weapon and wargear changes...what I'm am picking up I like a alot!

My worry is if you play people that want to slow the game down by doing things that really don't need to be rolled for and as such waste time.

I was initially worried about the delays thru the additions to the mechanism, but its really just one extra optional roll during the fight phase for single models who choose to use special strikes. Yes, I agree someone could abuse it..but in general I dont see many people on the scene who do this sort of thing, and if they just call them out on it publicly. as it stands without seeing it in play....I am not worried.

Example some of the orc heroes are the same profile as Gorbag but they have a special rule.

what special rule are you referring to something specifically or just the new heroic action?,

I think my Grey Company is taking a hit by now anytime I move "at all" my shoot is 4+ instead of 3+ but now the forces 12 might has alot more options, not sure if It got anymore advantages, the help with the shooting hit...however the success of the force...at least with me running it has never been the shooting..its Aragorn's epicness and Halbarads durability and the fact the whole army is F4, still running it in singles...

The Rohan force I working on..."I think" got better...I read that Rohirm aren't effected by bow limit now (since the come with bows) but couldn't find that in the manual..
old coast

Postby Smeagol » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Rohan and Easterling bow limit changes are in the upgraded Warband FAQs.
Smeagol

Postby Trollboy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am

Hello everybody. I am pumped about these new tweeks. I ran a small 6 player tourny in my Kenosha games workshop last weekend and am running my 1st annual Tourny of the ring on the 29th. (6 players first- 8 next.) Intrest is growing. To the new rules question- and these comments are my opinions. The warband change was bigger then these tweeks. Games workshop (while I am not always there biggest fan) could have made this suck for us , but did not. They could have made old stuff not mesh with new stuff or change the actual mechanics of the game. The simplicity and competetive complexity of this game make it the best 1 out there. I babble back 2 the point. The spear support and bow movement are decent tweeks and getting used to a few more choices( heroic actions,monster attacks and close combat options) will take a little time to get better at. There is no doubt that for a while even the most experianced players will see slighty longer gametimes - but the fun will not diminish. I am a stubborn German not big on change but I think the path since the warbands came out is a good 1. I wish I could get together with some of u and play a game or 2. Until next time ---- RELAX and enjoy.
Trollboy

Postby BrentS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Welcome Trollboy... do us (me) a favor and post up when you are doing tournaments. Kenosha is close to home and I'd like to try attend sometime when I can.
BrentS

Postby Trollboy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I will be running one on the 29th if u can make it. $10 buy in - with pizza and prizes. Thanks :D
Trollboy

Postby JLeong » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Actually, if you could PM me with the rest of the info (points limit, etc) my friend Drew and I would definitely be down for that tournament if there is room, Trollboy. welcome to the forum!
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Unfortunately, I'm out of town for that weekend. Fortunately, I'm going somewhere fun.
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm so excited. The changes seem like they will make the game different enough without changing it to much. So, veterans will have some new tricks to learn which should keep the game fresh. What I'm most excited about is the core SBG rules and the Warbands point system are fully intact. Unlike War of the Ring, this is the same game we play, just a new edition. Like any new edition, it will have it's supporters and detractors, but at least it is still the same game. In a sense, we finally got an update like the 40k and Fantasy players get. 40k 6th edition is still 40k but different enough to make it "new" (and angering some veterans I'm sure).

The biggest issue I can see is the hand weapon special rules but I think this means WYSIWYG is more important than ever. And then theme will have to be a part of tournament points to police the "cheese" of hand weapons not suited to certain races. But, like every other game, you can't stop the abuse. All you can do is push people to do the right thing. :cry:

Prices suck but hey, that's GW so I've moved passed complaining. When I don't have fun playing or have friends I enjoy playing against, then I'd stop buying. In the meantime, I'll just buy a lot less than I did during the LotR releases of 10 years ago.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 pm

I will spill the beans trollboy is Jeff G.
And it good to have him starting post on the site.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 am

Steve (BaronDesade) and I played our first game with the updated rules. Game play was just like the last edition and in some ways faster. My Dwarf Rangers went into a 1000 point rematch with Steve's Easterlings. We played to the death which is typically a very long game for us since it is so hard for me to wound his core troops.

Axes remove the issue with needing 6s to wound everything. Of course my force is WYSIWYG in that department. Typically the loss of defense wasn't a problem for me. Though I did learn not to use piercing strike against heroes. I lost the combat and my Dwarf hero was suddenly defense 4.

Eleven blades are useful, though Steve didn't manage to get a single tied roll off to go his way. Statistically he should have won two thirds of those rolls, but we always managed a five or better on the tie breaker roll.

Archery and throwing weapons were more inaccurate when moving. My rangers which typically can cut an opponent to shreds given the number of throwing weapons still managed to bleed Steve's force enough to force him to close with me, but it wasn't the deciding factor in the game.

Feint might as well be the default maneuver a swordsman uses when fighting a higher FV model. Any improvement in wounding should help given the fact you will be losing most of your fights anyway.

Heroic Channeling on Fury is not fun to fight against. It had little effect in our game other than keeping his War Priest alive, butI never did manage to cancel Fury though since you only lose it if you run out of Will. I can see the Mithril Crown and Channelled Fury being an unholy nightmare. Especially against a horde of goblins. So of course I have to give this combo a try now. :twisted:

WYSIWYG is the only way to play the game now in my opinion, though this opens abuses by people willing to cut-n-paste weapons. Still they at least went to the trouble of converting.

Heroic Duel (or whatever it's called) is a nice way to overcome models with a higher FV than your hero. Balin got beaten by Amdûr when he used this Heroic Action. Of course Amdûr then proceeded to fail to wound him. Now my generic heroes have a chance to defeat trolls. I can see Aragorn being very fond of this with his free Might point.

My Dwarf Rangers have beaten Steve's Easterlings before, but this time I did it primarily through close combat rather than peppering him with arrows and throwing weapons. The game could have gone either way for a while there, but my ability to consistantly wound his models eventually won me the day. Interestingly enough our heroes were mostly still alive at the end of the game. Steve lost two heroes and had two others wounded. I had one badly wounded and Balin was out of Fate. Usually our heroes die off very quickly due to sniping at each other.
Smeagol

Return to Lord of the Rings News