Unboxing and evaluation of the Entire Hobbit Line

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Unboxing and evaluation of the Entire Hobbit Line

Postby Islestaggerholm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Some people who frequent One Ring Forum, know that I am an avid collector. For "Christmas" I arranged and bargained with the wife to get the Ultimate Bundle from The Hobbit. Below you will find a series of pictures from the shipment I received today. It came in a very fancy presentation box (Now we know where the price increase goes . . . to packaging). Though I must say the box is nice and it ensured safe arrival. In additon to the Ultimate set I ordered an additional Goblin town set and case, which I left for my wife to wrap for Christmas. Enjoy and questions and comments welcome. If you have any specific requests for pictures or scale comparisons ask and I will try to accomodate them.

Islestaggerholm

Re: Unboxing and evaluation of the Entire Hobbit Line

Postby Islestaggerholm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Someone over at One Ring voiced a concern about the scale of Galadriel from the new White Council box; below you will find a scale image and comparison of Galadriel figures. One a side note the quality of ALL the finecast models for this run is without a doubt near the quality of metal. No bubbles, no soft uncured resin. In my opinion if the QC of finecast was holding you from buying some of this line, then I would move ahead with the purchase as they are all pristine. AND I AM NOT A FINECAST SUPPORTER.

Islestaggerholm

Postby old coast » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:22 pm

wow DUDE! IF you're motivated please show us more....The new galadriel does look considerably smaller the other figs...
old coast

Postby Islestaggerholm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Picture of the amount and size of the foam inserts in the case (again a request from the one-ring). There is one custom insert and two standard figure inserts, the bottom row of each is slightly taller than all the other rows.

Islestaggerholm

Postby old coast » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm

I got my starter today, I am finding the Dwarves and Bilbo to be unusable outside the box set..similar to the way the MoM characters where..they are way under scale
the Bilbo model, while fantastic when compared to all other hobbits in the range looks like a skinny child and fall in perfectly with some 20mm fantasy models I have not 25mm . The Dwarves is a concept issue...why change the dwarves stylistically from Gimli and Co that where represented perfectly in the Fellowship film?
to these skinny, models that are while not unusably undersized..they are proportionally out of wack with other models in the range....
They get it right with the goblins, scenery , Radagast and Gandalf while somewhat smaller than my numerous metal versions but there in the range of "scuptltors prerogative".

anyone else have thoughts on the models?

For whatever reason my starter set did not contain the eight dice!!! come on! :D
old coast

Return to Lord of the Rings News