New rules...

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

New rules...

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't have the new rule book but someone on TLA does:

http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5829
BrentS

Re: New rules...

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 pm

People will be very grumpy to hear that the mini rule book doesn't have any profiles in it.

You have to buy the big Rulebook to get the profiles with the points.
BrentS

Postby old coast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow that's kind of a devious move to make, they should have at least announced it. I'm sure the sold ALOT of starter sets to people who were thinking they were getting the new rules and the figures for $40 more than the rulebook..now you've already bought it...AND you need to shell out another $85 for the new profiles..
I am shocked the starter manual doesnt contain the profiles from the models in the box!!!!??? WTF, apparently it just has rules for them (I am assuming stats but not points)
They always find a way to bum you out, just when you're getting excited again.. :roll:
Last edited by old coast on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby prion2001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 pm

I will be assuming the position it seems. :shock:
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby JLeong » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Wow. I don't have anything to say other than: "wow." That is the shadiest deal GW has ever pulled in the LotR line. This is a bit of a sticky wicket... I guess I'll start holding a bake sale or something for that big book haha
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:18 am

old coast wrote:I am shocked the starter manual doesnt contain the profiles from the models in the box!!!!??? WTF, apparently it just has rules for them (I am assuming stats but not points)
They always find a way to bum you out, just when you're getting excited again.. :roll:

From what I understand, the model's stats are in the getting started booklet but NOT the points costs. So you can play the scenarios in the boxed set but wouldn't be able to play "points matches".

I know its frustrating for us LOTR players but really, that's the way the other game systems are handeled. No profiles in rule book (even starter sets).
BrentS

Postby old coast » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:30 am

BrentS wrote:I know its frustrating for us LOTR players but really, that's the way the other game systems are handeled. No profiles in rule book (even starter sets).

Oh I know, but there you buy a $25 army book that's good for a couple, 4 or even 7 years... :D
I'd be much more comfortable if there was an "unexpected journey" source book.along side the Hobbit rule book
so you're not "tricked" (and thats what this is) into buying both manuals (starter and big book)

You dont really need the big book anyway unless you want to run lists with new models, so for me its not that big deal
I'll pick up the big book eventually..I'm just not liking the way this is handled...its feels dishonest given past LotR releases.
old coast

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am

old coast wrote:Oh I know, but there you buy a $25 army book that's good for a couple, 4 or even 7 years... :D
I'd be much more comfortable if there was an "unexpected journey" source book.along side the Hobbit rule book
so you're not "tricked" (and thats what this is) into buying both manuals (starter and big book)

You dont really need the big book anyway unless you want to run lists with new models, so for me its not that big deal
I'll pick up the big book eventually..I'm just not liking the way this is handled...its feels dishonest given past LotR releases.

Agreed.

I suspect that the "original" plan when there was a two movie split... the Hobbit: Unexpected Journey would be an SBG update and the Hobbit: XXXX would be a War of the Ring update... Splitting into three movies may disrupt this. I wonder if there really will be a "new" book each year or just a supplement. Ah, who am I kidding... of course there will be a brand new big expensive rule book with a few new pages of Movie 2 information (Scenarios/Profiles).
BrentS

Postby DavePauwels » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Well, not to be a GW apologist, but just the idea, logistically, of doing a large hardcover book like this every year for three years seems pretty unlikely. It would just be way too expensive. My own personal prediction, based on nothing more than 27 years in the hobby, is that we'll see a supplemental book for each film, with the last being a Battle of Five Armies book. I think we'll see an expansion, through the books, of battle/game size. Clearly TH:AUJ is very skirmish/character oriented, by the nature of the film. I think the next book will probably see Smaug, the Men of Dale, Beorn- with expanded Orc and Warg lists. Finally, the BoFA will expand the game to running large battles (f-ing eagles). But each book will draw from the core rules set. I just don't think even GW expects people to buy three $85 core rulebook tomes over the course of three years. Again, I'm really just making this stuff up.

But we really do know where this ends. Some Battle of Five Armies game/book (in 25mm) is inevitable. It's really just filling in the pieces between there...and back again.

D
DavePauwels

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 pm

no point in worrying over what kind of release strategy they will use for each movie. I tend to lean towards them just releasing supplements with each movie, then once they are all out, they will again compile it all into a "new one ring" concept that will cost $85 again.

With weapon specific rules, and what seems to be, "if it says hand weapon, you choose." WYSIWYG I think will need to be dutifully and mercilessly enforced.
BostonNazgul

Postby griffen127 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow these new rules really add something to the game. Pretty cool when u read it in full. Fantastic. Brent what do you think?
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm

griffen127 wrote:Wow these new rules really add something to the game. Pretty cool when u read it in full. Fantastic. Brent what do you think?

I found a local hobby shop with the book. Completely agree...
BrentS

Postby griffen127 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Wow these new rules really add something to the game. Pretty cool when u read it in full. Fantastic. Brent what do you think?
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 pm

griffen127 wrote:Wow these new rules really add something to the game. Pretty cool when u read it in full. Fantastic. Brent what do you think?

Echo...
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Lots of little tweaks to the rules. I'm sure all the various combat modifiers will take some getting used too. Interesting the way the magic is being modified. I think in a lot of ways, this will feel like a completely different game.
BrentS

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News