Advanced Orders are up!

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Re: Advanced Orders are up!

Postby griffen127 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

you think 9 figs make an army? Hmmm not sure if I should break down what an army is or not. But in any case playing for fun is one thing playing for fun at a tourney is another. Plus who said you need a "lots" of models to be competitive. 27 does just fine, and in a game that can use 60+ thats not alot.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby JLeong » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm with you there Jaime. I preordered my boxed set today, and as a result I'll be stealing all those delightful Thanksgiving leftovers as I head back to Valpo, hoping to stretch them out as long as I can haha! At any rate, I am pretty excited about the new starter set. I opted for the boxed game over the hardcover rulebook.
Back in the day, during the original releases of Lord of the Rings, each movie had a new starter set (containing the only copy of the rules). I am anticipating the same here. I'll shell out the cash for an $85 manual once I'm confident there won't be a replacement next year :wink:

I'd rather get the models, y'know? We really OUGHT to anticipate price hikes in certain areas. It is rather pointless to complain haha. Even so, I feel compelled to gripe about one box: The White Council, though, now that is really theft. The Fellowship of the Ring box (the combinations of models in that box still don't make sense to me) costs the same I believe, and you get less than half the models. I seriously doubt that box will sell well.
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 pm

I agree the pricing is pretty outrageous but not unexpected. I guess I've just become numb to the prices. I do know that there are a number of etailers that sell these at a discount, which helps. However, unless I love the model, I'm not buying the Finecast.

In the past years, I would have bought a lot of the models but I have so much in backlog, now I just buy things that I really like or are for armies or projects I'm planning.

So it's the boxed game, the trolls, and lots of goblin town scenery for me.
BrentS

Postby rustin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am

I'm really pumped about the prospect of them expanding the game in such a huge way and I ordered the starter set. But I'm a bit skeptical about the rules book. How much can they have in the book in terms of profiles/images if there are only a handful of models that have been announced/released? Since the movie isn't out yet, they probably can't have the book FULL of characters and models from parts of the movie that haven't been shown at all since that would really spoil a ton of the mystery in the film. If the game was coming out a few weeks later when the movie was out already, then we could expect to have a ton of awesome material in the book, but I'm really not sure what will be in there except for a rehashing of the rules from LOTR and some pages on Modeling with the models that have been announced already. Anyone else have any thoughts?
rustin

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 am

Maybe I'm slightly jaded, but if you look at what a single Infinity or WarMachine model costs, these GW prices aren't that outside the range of current hobby norms. In fact, I think the boxed set is an incredible value, with terrain and all those goblins!

I ordered the new book and the LE box. I actually think I might do a 600 point Orc/Goblin army for the eventual Battle of Five Armies game we're all going to organize!
DavePauwels

Postby BrentS » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am

I hate to derail this thread but did want to welcome Cptn.Cortez and Rustin to the forums!

Hope you stick around.
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Interesting video about The Hobbit SBG from Adam Troke. Apparent good news for the existing models and game we all love.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... id=1553243
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01 pm

*sigh* unexpected work trip puts me out of the country all weekend. Although I pre-ordered from GW I won't be able to get my stuff until at least Wednesday. *sigh*
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

make sure everyone talks about how awesome everything is and make brent jealous of ALL THE RELEASES
BostonNazgul

Postby Islestaggerholm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:01 pm

I got the full run package and an additional boxset. I be sure to post lots of pictures . . . my anticipation is already through the roof, not sure what I would do if I had to go out of town.
Islestaggerholm

Postby BrentS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:make sure everyone talks about how awesome everything is and make brent jealous of ALL THE RELEASES

Such a friend.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 pm

and while everyone is browsing they're new rule books, make sure to remind brent how his fantasy football playoff hopes rely on me beating his rival this week...
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 am

Well, I won't get my new books early but I did just book my tickets for the Hobbit on Thursday, December 13th at 8pm in Dublin, Ireland (traveling there on business). I will be able to see the movie about 12 hours earlier than the first midnight shows in the US. :lol:
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am

brent, I cant hear you over the rustling pages of the rulebook.
BostonNazgul

Postby JLeong » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm

:lol:
JLeong

PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings News