BBB Prize Support Poll

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

What should I do with BBB Prize Support

Poll ended at Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58 am

Purchase early using the existing range (cheaper prices, more prizes)
63%
Wait and but the new Hobbit items on the release day (brand new models, less prizes)
38%

Total votes : 8

BBB Prize Support Poll

Postby BrentS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 am

Opening up a poll for the BBB attendees. Please only vote if you are attending the tournament!

Its starting to look like the new Hobbit Models will debut the weekend of BBB. If this turns out to be true, I find myself faced with a decision regarding prize support. I've got a fixed amount of money I can spend to buy prizes. I can either buy prizes now from the existing range using an online service that would allow me to get some discount (i.e. more prizes for the same money) OR I could hold off and just prizes that weekend at the Bunker and make sure that only new Hobbit related items are given away. This would mean that I'd likely be paying full retail and couldn't get as many prizes.

So what say you tournament attendees? This poll will not be binding but I would like to see what people's feelings are. Feel free to comment below as well.
BrentS

Re: BBB Prize Support Poll

Postby Islestaggerholm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 am

I responded with the New Items, but for those that don't know me, I am a deep collector and likely have any other prize that would be offered. I am hyped about the release being the same week though. Really looking forward to losing every match and learning for a group of veterans. Just really hope I can get my armies together and to the standard I like by then.
Last edited by Islestaggerholm on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Islestaggerholm

Postby prion2001 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Man, tough spot. I like the sound of new stuff but it does mean less prizes. How sure are you about the release date and if it is then how sure are you the Bunker will have the stuff in stock? Any way to talk Tim at the bunker about deals and/or guarantees? Another thing is if the prize support is new in plastic wrap GW stores will usually take in trade (at least they used too).

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm

prion2001 wrote:Man, tough spot. I like the sound of new stuff but it does mean less prizes. How sure are you about the release date and if it is then how sure are you the Bunker will have the stuff in stock? Any way to talk Tim at the bunker about deals and/or guarantees? Another thing is if the prize support is new in plastic wrap GW stores will usually take in trade (at least they used too).

Jamie

Already talked to Tim. He says he doesn't have any knowledge on the release dates. I can order and have anything shipped to the Bunker so I'm sure it would be there.

The poll runs for 10 days and I will make a decision next week.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 am

given GW's past methods of releasing rule books first, I am thinking that is all that will be coming out this early. That being said maybe doing two copies for door prizes instead of the blister grab bag you have done in the past...
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 am

BostonNazgul wrote:given GW's past methods of releasing rule books first, I am thinking that is all that will be coming out this early. That being said maybe doing two copies for door prizes instead of the blister grab bag you have done in the past...

Unfortunately, I won't be doing the blister grab bag this year. I've got zero extra support for prizes from GW and with the price increases this year it makes buying prizes even more difficult. In general prizes are down this year but all the other giveaways are up.
BrentS

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I voted for the new stuff.
I have been off the grid for a bit, but I am truly excited about getting to play some LOTR at B3. For me is not about the prizes its about the commeraderie (sp). Can't wait to see you guys and have some fun.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby griffen127 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Just so everyone knows, That the standard GW way of doing new major releases is to put the books out 1 month ahead. that way they sell more 85 dollar books. If they put the box game first then they would not sell as many books. Do not expect to see figures released untill december. That is of course only if they follow both Fantasy and 40K business model, and seeing in how they changed things I dont see why they wouldn't.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby Lordgoober » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm ambivalent either way since I don't think I'm going to be winning any prizes unless I manage best general because I know I'm not going to get overall or painted based on what I know will be coming on the painting side.
Lordgoober

Postby prion2001 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 pm

I voted for current stuff mainly for two reasons. First, with the information blackout from GW these days I hate to see you betting on the internet rumor mills no matter how accurate they might be. If you knew for sure what was coming and what you could get? Great. Otherwise I think it is risky. Second, in most cases people could use the older prizes anyway and could likely trade at a GW for new stuff OR wait and sell to new folks who get into the game once the Hobbit is out.

Like Robert, I don't expect to win much anyway. (keep quite Kyle) :oops:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Lordgoober » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 pm

James Wappel is playing this time around. He's going to probably win best painted hands down.
Lordgoober

Return to Lord of the Rings News