Hobbit Miniature Release Rumor Thread

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Re: Hobbit Miniature Release Rumor Thread

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:13 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:who wants to pay $120 for a box set that contains models you may or may not want. I smell a trip to a photo copier with someones rule book copy

I will be buying for sure.
BrentS

Postby Lordgoober » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 pm

same here.
Lordgoober

Postby old coast » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm

I can't believe they'll invalidate the new army books they just put out last year, the new rules will probably just be restats, new stats based on the warbands system replacing the old big bluebook, They'll still want to sell those. I don't know I how I feel about calling the game "The Hobbit" :o
old coast

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm

renaming is odd.... I would rather have just seen it as a supplement.

I agree that it will most likely be a republishing of the one ring. with sections on new forces, just like the one rings stat break downs.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I would have preferred that the game isn't rebranded as "The Hobbit"; however, that doesn't surprise me as that what is will be marketable.

My gut feeling (hope) is that they are just going to "update" the rules that already exist to incorporate new pictures/images from the Hobbit and clean up the rules were FAQs were needed. I would expect that the new rulebook won't have any stats for the models and they would be moving towards a codex style update for the model stats - similar to what we got this year with the five sourcebooks. They could provide the stats for the models in the boxed set via a leaflet of some kind (also included in the boxed set).

Then later in the year, they will release a Hard Cover book that has all the rules and hobby sections reflective of the Hobbit.

I sure hope that whatever they do to the rules, they will be consistent with the current version of SBG and not invalidate everything that we already have.

Well, that's how I'd do it if I was in charge... we'll find out soon.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm

GW his no problem invalidating everything with a new release. They are not trying to target their existing customer base. They are trying to gather in new players just like they did with LotR. I would expect the game to undergo unnecessary changes personally. It's their standard M.O. on new releases. I would hope someone paid attention to their failed WotR release and learned their lesson, but I doubt it.
Smeagol

Postby griffen127 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm

any body or site have a pic or a list of the set thats coming out?
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby BrentS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm

griffen127 wrote:any body or site have a pic or a list of the set thats coming out?

If they were out there, I would have posted them here :D

I suspect we'll start seeing photos leak the week of Thanksgiving.
BrentS

Postby old coast » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:03 am

From the warseer thread (emphasis mine)

I don't normally post what rumours I get or throw them in the anonymous option, but I'll just add here as I do have a soft spot for LotR SBG, and it has now been mentioned from another source.
The new rules are like a new edition of SBG, nothing gets invalidated at all, and they have been very careful to make sure that is so.
I too have heard that the box set is on the way and awesome. What I originally heard about the extra stuff coming outside the box was that they would be released after general release of the film, and only the box would be available before, and the same applied for the hardback rulebook.
Now if this was/and still is the case, I wonder what WD would show in terms of 'releases for the month' as if they are keeping it a secret then they'd have to leave it out..
That was pretty set as a schedule before apparently, but now things are a little different. Unfortunately I don't know whether different means now all at the start with the box, or all pushed back to the following month except the box. If I hear any more I shall mention it..
Take as you wish as always =)

That sounds pretty positive ruleswise...
old coast

Postby BrentS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:00 pm

and the plot thickens....

via the Faeit 212 inbox (An anonymous source) wrote:Regarding those hobbit rumours

100% true is
LotR will be renamed to "The Hobbit"
Content of the box (miniatures) will be roughly equal to Dark Vengeance

Some was 100% NOT true
Rulebook being an exclusive to the starters box is a lie. you are in for a surprise.
the new rules wont revolutionize the current ruleset, but change is coming.
Pricing wont be more than isle of blood and dark vengeance, rather the same.

i dont know anything about a supplement or a limited edition.

Taken from this blog: http://natfka.blogspot.nl/2012/11/conce ... t.html?m=1
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm

You never really know with GW but I would look at Dark Vengance and the new 40k release as a model of what we might expect. Not that it would be the same but I would agree that pricing it to match the Vengance box would make sense. They want people to get into the game and like Dark Vengance, I doubt this box will allow you to play full Warbands games so if you like this one you'll be buying a lot more stuff (at a much higher price) down the road to fully play the game.

I also suspect that, given the flop that was War of the Rings, this will be SBG but a new edition. Again, following 40k and Fantasy, it will be different enough to force people to change their game but still essentially the same system. I guarantee people will have their complaints about changes (and lack of them) but in the end, I don't think we'll be playing a whole new set of rules like WotR. (At least I hope not).

Speaking of rules, barring anything drastic, I would assume these rules and the current Warbands Army Books will be the basis of the events at Adepticon 2013.
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 pm

This thread on warseer "confirms" the name of the Boxed Set. I won't reveal it in case people don't want spoilers. You can find the thread here:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... bbit/page2

Post #33 and then "confirmed" in post #66
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 am

worst confirmation ever.

look no further, I heard that the name of the box set will be "Cheese potato Adventure". 2 random dudes making up a name, you cant believe everything on the internet brent.... :D
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 am

BostonNazgul wrote:worst confirmation ever.

look no further, I heard that the name of the box set will be "Cheese potato Adventure". 2 random dudes making up a name, you cant believe everything on the internet brent.... :D

I don't beleve they are "random" dudes. The guy who confirmed "Bramguant" is in the know. He is one of the guys that leaked the new sourcebooks earlier this year and constantly confirming leaks for 40k and fantasy. I'd be shocked of he was wrong. I wouldn't waste my time posting the link if I didn't believe there was some truth to it.
BrentS

Postby Islestaggerholm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:35 am

From the the Games Workshop Facebook:

Games Workshop: World of Battle

Hey folks here's a heads up:
Due to recent severe weather conditions in the North East where our White Dwarf distribution facility is, the magazine will be delayed for the next couple issues. We don't have specific information yet, but will post estimates on delivery dates once we learn more. Thank you for your patience.
Islestaggerholm

PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings News