Throne of Skulls

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Throne of Skulls

Postby orcishthug » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I recieved a phone call from a GW represetative today about TOS. It seems I was the only one registered for LOTR and he suggested I might be disappointed if I bothered to show up since registration closes shortly. That I might not want to buy air tickets and such. Besides, most people are excited by the new 40K release so I might want to look into that. If I really wanted to go he offered that the GW staff might play some Demo games with me. Have a nice day......

I asked if they just weren't supporting LOTR and he said "oh no we are going to be releasing new figures...." its just that there is sooo much excitement about 40K. He didn't seem curious about the lack of attendance but I explained some of the cumulative fiascos from Vegas anyway of which he was oblivious.....also pointed out the (relatively) robust attendance for B3 in Chicago coming up. I'm sure there was't a nanosecond of introspection on the comparison.

I'm sure I'm doing more to promote LOTR running the two Mega Games and a couple intro/demo games at Hurricon this Saturday.

I registered because I had the free entry and business frequently takes me to Arkansas for Tank ammo testing. It happens I am to be there the week before TOS connecting through Memphis so it would have been a freebie (with Hotel and Car points). But I just as easily could have been out airfare or a change fee.
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Re: Throne of Skulls

Postby BrentS » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 am

Not surprised by the poor registration. As we've all said until we were blue in the face, GW hasn't done anything to try and support the LOTR side of the hobby. Its obvious they don't care that much about trying to increase attendance or they would have found a way to reach out to the communities. Oh well. We'll see what the next year brings.

I'm glad to know they had the decency to at least call you and let you know.
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 pm

That is really disappointing. I take the LSAT the day of the tournament, or I'd have registered with you. We could have duked it out! haha. Let's hope The Hobbit reenergizes their LotR support...
JLeong

Postby febber » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

orcishthug wrote:I recieved a phone call from a GW represetative today about TOS. It seems I was the only one registered for LOTR and he suggested I might be disappointed if I bothered to show up since registration closes shortly.

What utter incompetence.

On 20 August 2012 10:00, Frank Brown <febber87@yahoo.com> wrote:
Name: Frank Brown
System: Lord of the Rings
Army: Moria

Sounds awesome! Thank you for your response.

Congratulations and can't wait to see you there!

Best,
Megan

Wonder how many more of us "registered" but they have no record of us? Besides, with only 5 -6 LOTR qualifiers, when did they open the tickets up to other attendees?

WTF am I supposed to do with my airline tickets to Memphis?

Hey John, wanna go best of 3 that weekend and tell GW to mail the trophy to the winner? :P
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Slammers77 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 pm

It's not just LoTR. This months WD was interesting for Jervis' article where he said as players we should use less rules and just play with what models we want because this is a hobby moreso than a game. GW has pulled all tournament support for any independent events. This is the last year of ToS and they don't run GT's anymore. Next thing they will do is pull monthly tournament support for the indy retailers. They are not supporting tournaments of any kind anymore. I don't agree with their busniess model, but it really looks like the current model is make awesome models, give some rules and then let people play in their homes/stores/etc. Only good thing is that give them a couple of years and the model will change again.

John
Slammers77

Postby orcishthug » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:33 am

I thought that you planned to go Frank, but the GW rep with metaphysical certainty said I was the lone dude.
BTW, I got the same (exact) personalized response. If I had put money on an air ticket I think I would have come unglued.

The good news is we had decent participation in my LOTR mega-games at Hurricon. Over the three sessions there were 9 new players to go along with Dave, William, and Alexander. Got the best table award for the first session (Balin's Doom). The second session table was better (Ambush in Ithilien) but was up against the Pulp Fiction game. The mumaks ran wild in that game until Faramir single handedly held them up for the last three turns (Father would have been proud).

The theme for RECON is Victory Against All Odds or something like that. Thats tailor made for LOTR scenarios (Helms Deep, Charge of the Rohirrim, Faramir trying to retake Osgilith).
Men of Harlech stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle were not ready
Welshmen never yield
orcishthug

Return to Lord of the Rings News