Throne of Skulls 2012 invitation

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Re: Throne of Skulls 2012 invitation

Postby Smeagol » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

I thought they had reassigned the T.O.s from last year after their behavior during/after the event.
Smeagol

Postby old coast » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Well someone is looking out for me, I just got an email from GW with a $150.00 voucher :shock: for the Adepticon singles
no mention of the Throne of Skulls ticket yet thou..., I'll keep you all posted.

Jamie I know you were working on this with Hank, Thank you very much.!
old coast

Postby BrentS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 pm

old coast wrote:Well someone is looking out for me, I just got an email from GW with a $150.00 voucher :shock: for the Adepticon singles
no mention of the Throne of Skulls ticket yet thou..., I'll keep you all posted.

Its about damn time you got what you earned!
BrentS

Postby acepilot12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm

I have yet to hear from GW about my Throne of Skulls invite yet either. I do not plan on going, but it is pathetic that they can't even contact everyone that earns the opportunity to go. It's too bad that it is not in Vegas this year.
acepilot12

Postby prion2001 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 pm

acepilot12 wrote:I have yet to hear from GW about my Throne of Skulls invite yet either. I do not plan on going, but it is pathetic that they can't even contact everyone that earns the opportunity to go. It's too bad that it is not in Vegas this year.

Are you talking about the Team event at last Adepticon? They did not accept any Team events during this years Circuit.

Glad you got something John. I'm insulated from GW, being at Adepticon, but I hear they gave a hassle even including LotR. Top it off with no communication with Adepticon staff and you get what happened to you. I'm so livid with GW corporate. I wouldn't attend their TOS if they paid me to. I'd rather game with people who know and love the game. It just feels like the people at the top of GW events are no longer hobbyists and lovers of the game. It's just people doing a job but no more passion or spirit.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Good News John Glad to here you got something from GW.

As far as the throne of skulls goes, I was really thinking about going to it this year. I really wish the LOTR tournament circuit would continue on. With the release of the Hobbit I am looking forward to new models and whatever support we get from GW. I know I sound like a fanboy at times but there are times I get sick of being the "ringbearer" for a game that doesn't get much support.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby acepilot12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

My invite was earned at Throne of Skulls 2011 for best good. Like I said, I was not planning on going, but if I get the invite, then I can respond with the reasons that I am not going. They do not even realize that people had issues with the event, partly because they do not ask for comments/suggestions, which is why they will not change the way it is run.

I had just checked my email, and I also received a GW gift voucher for 2nd at Adepticon. It was nice to see that GW actually supporter LotR, even if they didn't want to. I still say that we as a community create and run our own circuit and finals invitational if we still truly care about the game. We could set up the circuit to only take either the top "x" results or an average of results, and then decide on a location for an invitation for the top players. Just my thoughts on the issue.
acepilot12

Postby BrentS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 pm

acepilot12 wrote:II still say that we as a community create and run our own circuit and finals invitational if we still truly care about the game. We could set up the circuit to only take either the top "x" results or an average of results, and then decide on a location for an invitation for the top players. Just my thoughts on the issue.

I was just thinking about that. There is really no reason we couldnt set up a quarter (or even ever 2 month) tournament circuit. Adepticon and BBB could be the big events.
BrentS

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Are we talking about arond here or the country? If it is around here I could probably run one. Obviously B3 and Adepticon are the biggest and are established. Could the other ones get as big? Maybe Julyish for another one.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Keep in mind that most of the events are now defunct due to the costs associated with travel by visiting pkayers. So if you can't support the "little" events with local players then they will eventually wither on the vine. I also know from personal experience how hard it is to stay motivated when running events.

So I do like the idea of a couple of bigger events and smaller feeders, but it will take more than a bit of brainstorming online to accomplish. Like it or not we are still the standard bearers of this game. Lately I haven't been as good at that role as I would like to be. Life keeps interfering with my fun.
Smeagol

Postby BrentS » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 am

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:Are we talking about arond here or the country? If it is around here I could probably run one. Obviously B3 and Adepticon are the biggest and are established. Could the other ones get as big? Maybe Julyish for another one.

I was just thinking local. I think there is enough support that we could drum up 12-16 players for one day RTTs if we had enough advance planning.
BrentS

Postby prion2001 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 pm

I like the idea of our own circuit of sorts. I would imagine this would be more like the old RTT days. People could run a local event in RTT style and then someone would keep track of winners and such. Then, maybe do something like a free tournament ticket for the top player and make the final event (Acon or B3) a final of sorts but still open to all. Maybe like the older circuit you accumulate points for RTT and then the final event is weighted more to help decided the top player from those who have accumulated a larger number of points.

There are a lot of issues to consider but I think, fundamentally, this is a cool idea. It would be nice to get something more "national" together even if just for bragging rights.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Dragi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm trying to get LOTR up and running again and do something like what Brent is planning on doing.
"By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!" -

King Elessar
Dragi

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

It sounds like they have alot of RTTs down in FLA. Not so sure about the west coast, It appears Smeagol, Gary, and BdS get more games in than anybody else. Not sure what Keith has going on in the mountains, but if he has time or at least direct them this way, maybe we could organize several regional tournaments with some sort of voucher for Adepticon or B3. We might be able to get 4 regional champions. MAybe do a Final Four tournament friday night at Adepticon? Sinlgle elimination type thing and the 2 losers play for third place?

The biggest problem is traveling, getting the 3 winners from the other regions to travel to Chicago. And the biggest reason to do Adepticon is there are a multitude of things to do there. Keep B3 as a major tournament, hopefully we will continue to draw people from all ove the US.

I don't know maybe I am dreaming too big? Looking for input? What do you guys think?
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

I put together a tournament series for WHFB many years ago which ran every other month at Gary's store. It was called the Contest of Champions. Every tournament was a stand alone event with prize support. The stats for every player was tracked and at the end of the season the player whose had the best overall score, using a best 4 scores of the 6 tournaments, was the circuit championfor that year.

That format was later adopted by the 40K players as well. The Contest of Champions tournament series still lives beyond my stewardship because Gary's store stepped up to continue it after I could no longer commit to running it.

I'm not sure offering a free admission to something like Adepticon with its high overhead needs would be a best idea, but maybe some other perk could be arranged.

Initially I think the local events are far easier to organize and manage. They can potentially be spread across several stores to share the load/love.
Smeagol

PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings News