Surviving LOTR tournaments

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Surviving LOTR tournaments

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:08 pm

What LOTR tournaments have managed to survive the recent decline of player interest, GW support and finiancial stresses? I know Bilbo's is scheduloed for this year, but other then GW's Throne of Skulls I don't know of any others.
Smeagol

Re: Surviving LOTR tournaments

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:16 am

It really stinks. I am fortunate this year that the tournaments are within diving distances. I am thinking about going to the Throne of Skulls this year. Is anyone else going?
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:50 am

Adepticon and Bilbo's Birthday Bash are both still alive and well for sure.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 pm

B3 and acon are definitely still kicking. although, as always, we will probably tweak adepticon a little.
BostonNazgul

Postby Monty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 pm

I wrote a letter to GW telling them that the LOTR articles must have fallen out of my last two issues of White Dwarf before they were delivered. Just kidding,
but two entire issues without a single mention is pretty bad. Glad our locals here in Chicago keep it alive. I'm really looking forward to B3.
Monty

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:15 pm

I suspect that they are hording a few articles to release with The Hobbit. I am looking forward to the release of The Company.

As much as I like to support tournament events, I am financially constrained from attending a lot of the longer distance ones for a bit.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:39 am

Smeagol wrote:I suspect that they are hording a few articles to release with The Hobbit. I am looking forward to the release of The Company.

As much as I like to support tournament events, I am financially constrained from attending a lot of the longer distance ones for a bit.

I know how that feels Smeagol--- I have nothing but good things about all the other tournaments-- Gathering, SITE, Mayhem, and Chris LSs. I really wish I could have made it out to each one at least once. I can only hope that they make a comback sometime soon. I hope Kieth can get Mayhem back next year and I hope TIm still has the desire to gathering next year.

I hope that with the Hobbit relaease we see a boom in the game.

Hopefully we can get together to play a couple games.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby tjski » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 am

Well,

I might as well chime in for GitD, after 5 fun years with LotR, the GitD staff is looking at hoisting other events other than LotR. Why you ask, well here are a few things for this,

1st Attendance - Our attendance for GitD has been on a slow decline, from local to out of town folks. The sad fact is that the LotR community here is phoenix has never been great and the whole reason for GitD was to build a LotR community here. With that being said, if I ran GitD again next year for LotR, we would only have 6 locals playing. For the folks that travel to GitD, it is costly and it is not cheap to come all the way out to Phoenix when they can play at home. So if I ran GitD for LotR, maybe we would hit 12 people? 14 if we were lucky and I am sorry to say, but 14 people is not really "Grand", it more like a RTT event.

2nd Army Books - Once again, here in Phoenix, all the LotR players hate how the new books either screwed armies or allow weird combos of army builds. In order to have a chance, you have to know do some crazy builds with strange allies. I know one Far Harad player here locally (Jerry A) who is ticked off that his army got hosed by the new books. From a TO's side of things, this means more work for me to try to either come up with scoring for themed forces or put restrictions on what is allowed. This is more work than what it is worth. And please do not get me started of the Errata issues that GW will never address.

3rd Lack of Support - I saw the writing on the wall about GW dropping the Circuit well before they announced that they were shutting it down. Now I never expected anything from GW for running this event, but to not hand out any sort of prize support just blows! I am sorry, but if GW does not care about supporting events with their games, than why should I care?? Come on, TO's put in a ton of work to run their games, the least GW can do is help out with some product.

4th Not Fun - This is perhaps the most important one, but running GitD for GW's game that they care very little about saps all the fun out of it for me. My hobby for the past 5 years was GitD, for 6 months out of each year I did nothing but work on GitD. My hobby was all about making sure I put together the best GT I could for you guys. I started GitD for one reason, for you guys! I wanted a cool LotR event like the ones I saw at Adepticon here in my own back yard. It was fun, but I have realized that it was consuming all of my hobby time ( which never seems to be enough of!) I had always hoped that someone here would step up to run GitD, but the folks that still play LotR did not want to take the baton from me.

So what does this all mean? Well GitD will continue but we are looking at other game systems, a few ideas are ( Blood Bowl, FoW, Infinity, EotD, just to name a few) GitD will be presenting these games but sadly LotR will not be going on. Sorry if this comes as a shock to some, but a few people here knew the struggles I was going through with GitD and LotR.

Tim K
tjski

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:26 am

Well that kinda sucks, but I do understand. I ran a tournament every month for a local GW store for about 2 years. It always seemed to take up alot of time.

Whatever event you decide to run I am sure it will be first class. I wish I could have made out there for LOTR.

Good Luck
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Slammers77 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 am

The SITE died because of attendance, pure and simple. With 30 days to go, we had 9 people registered, 4 of those from one family. That is not a GT. We probably would have hit 12, maybe 14. Either way, after paying for trophies, copy paper etc., there was virtually nothing left to buy prize support with.

Between Keegan and me, we can handle probably upwards of 20 GT class tables with GT class terrain, so GW killing the terrain support didn't hurt us. The thing was though that we only want to put on a first class event, and not being able to provide any real prize support except for plaques was crappy. We'd rather not do an event than put on a crappy one. Heck, our scenario packet books were done, I had ordered 200 6 sided dice because we were going to use the Euro method of a common pool of dice in the middle of the table that both players use, plaques had been ordered, but it just wasn't feasible with the interest level.

I think this has happened with alot of GT style events, if you can't drive to it, people don't attend anymore. About the furthest we attract from is Jacksonville, FL, about 2 hours away. Next major hub is Atlanta and we just don't get attendees from there. We can do 8-12 person RTT's all the time, because it is local, but we just don't pull the out of towners. Chicago has the benefit of being centrally located with several large poplulation areas within driving distance. That is the same reason the WHFB Indy GT's are still going strong in TX-lot's of folks within driving distance.

Adepticon also serves as a natural advertiser for B3 which is awesome. None of the other events have that. Will the SITE come back-I doubt it. I know I did the Necro for 7 years (avg attendance 150 for 4 games systems-40k, WHFB, LoTR, Blood Bowl), and the SITE for 3. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm not that interested in creating something again.

John
Slammers77

Postby prion2001 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:49 pm

It is sad to see that GW's lackluster support of the game has burned out some of it's biggest fans. I really think that if it wasn't for our events being hosted at Adepticon (which means a lot of support in terms and not just financial) and the constant shoulders to cry on of local players and some others here on the forums, I think I would have jumped ship a while ago. Like Chris, I'm not one to travel to events but I was always happy to see the game spreading and people I know making to other events. I wish I had had to time and finances to make it out to places like Gathering as it always seemed like a great group was there.

Tim, thanks for your event and for your support of our events over the years. Tim has been one of those shoulders to cry on (well, ears to complain and rant about GW into!) and I want to publically thank him for that. I hear what you are saying and I feel your pain. As I said above, if I was doing this solo I'd be in the same place you arel. The people who ran these events were it's biggest supporters and champions. I only wish GW corporate would appreciate that or be that kind of champion themselves.

The good news is we have a new movie and a new game coming. Although I have my concerns about the long term future I'm hopefull that we'll see some new "love" even if it's short lived. Hopefully I'm wrong about it being short lived. As for Adepticon, we plan to forge ahead and provide some LotR events in 2013 regardless of GW corporates less then stellar support. :roll:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby tjski » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:25 am

Jamie,

Thank you for the kind words, you know my friend that I have been struggling with this for some time and it was hard for me to come out and announce this. I hope i can make the trip in 2013 to Adepticon to chat and play in your events. And if anyone wants to come to phoenix for some LotR, I will open my home for them to come and play.

Tim K
tjski

Postby old coast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

tjski wrote:So what does this all mean? Well GitD will continue but we are looking at other game systems, a few ideas are ( Blood Bowl, FoW, Infinity, EotD, just to name a few) GitD will be presenting these games but sadly LotR will not be going on. Sorry if this comes as a shock to some, but a few people here knew the struggles I was going through with GitD and LotR.

Tim K

Wow Tim, that's a drag..you have always been one of the games best supporters and are/were and will always be an inspiration to myself and I am sure many others here about how to properly run an event. I must admit I did sense your burnout the last few years, and I understand..It sad that GW forces its biggest supporters to inevitably find themselves beating their heads against a wall. I wish life would have allowed me to make to a LotR GitD...but so it goes.

I dont understand the resentment toward the new books from your neck of the woods, but I have never been that competitive of a player from an army list standpoint.
I thought this year's Adepticon tourney showed the new books showcased theme and the general spirit of 'Tolkien' much much better than the meta gaming of the Legions lists. but that's just me. everyone has their own take, and in a community as small as LotR, that is not necessarily a good thing.

I hope we still get to see you at Adepticon again for something my friend!, best of luck in whatever you choose to do!.

John H.
Last edited by old coast on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby prion2001 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

tjski wrote:Jamie,

I hope i can make the trip in 2013 to Adepticon to chat and play in your events. And if anyone wants to come to phoenix for some LotR, I will open my home for them to come and play.

Tim K

We'd love to see you up here so I hope it pans out. And my secret plan has always been that when I get the chance to visit my brother in Arizona I'd find an excuse to meet up with you guys and get in a game. I'll tell the wife "I can't be rude and not say hi to these guys when I'm in their neck of the woods". :twisted:

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 am

@ Tim and John.

Can we expect a Legends of the high seas at Acon this year?
BostonNazgul

Return to Lord of the Rings News