Bad News for 2012-2013

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Bad News for 2012-2013

Postby thorhak » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm

received this today...

The North American Games Workshop Business Support team along with our management team has spent an extensive amount of time reviewing the current tournament circuit and the best way to offer support to hobbyists interested in hosting events of their own.

As you are undoubtedly aware, there is a Games Workshop tournament circuit in which tournaments must apply and those chosen are offered support. After serious consideration, we will continue with the current 2012 circuit ending in May 2012 and host the culminating Throne of Skulls tournament this October. Going forward, in order to be more supportive of events of all types, especially those in our retail and trade outlet stores, we will discontinue the GW tournament circuit.

We would like to thank all the organiser's from the 2012 Circuit and we wish everyone the most success with their events in the future.

Regards,

Desiree Dorsey
Director of Business Support
Games Workshop
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Re: Bad News for 2012-2013

Postby BrentS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 pm

I didn't have the heart to post this when I got it earlier this week.

Well, all I can say is that Bilbo's Birthday Bash will live on. We just won't have any additional resources from GW to work with. This means that at a minimum, my event costs will have to rise.
BrentS

Postby acepilot12 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 pm

This is taken from GWs website under the tournament circuit link. It looks like they will still have Throne of Skulls, but no more circuit. It is funny how they stop supporting such awesome events, but continue running the biggest disaster of a tournament.

LAST SEASON
Currently there is a circuit of tournaments that is supported by Games Workshop each year. This tournament circuit runs from June to the end of May and the winners are invited to a championship Throne of Skulls tournament.

The North American Games Workshop team has decided that at the end of May 2012, Games Workshop will no longer offer support to a select few tournaments. Rather, we will continue celebrating this aspect of the hobby by hosting an annual national Throne of Skulls tournament beginning in 2013 with tickets available to everyone.

To clarify, nothing has changed for the current 2011-2012 Tournament Circuit. Winners of the 2011-2012 Tournament Circuit season and the 2011 Throne of Skulls tournament will still receive complimentary tickets to the 2012 Throne of Skulls event in October and a select number of tickets will be available for purchase.

Many of the tournaments started before the Tournament Circuit existed and they will continue for years to come! There will still be numerous tournaments across North America in many different formats for hobbyists to enjoy and participate in!

As always, Games Workshop encourages fellow hobbyists to host tournaments and other events to celebrate their hobby.
acepilot12

Postby thorhak » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Well, all I can say is that Bilbo's Birthday Bash will live on. We just won't have any additional resources from GW to work with. This means that at a minimum, my event costs will have to rise.

Likewise. Mayhem will live on, and hopefully for many more years. Yes, losing $300 in Prize Support hurts, and taking away the "Official GW Tournament Circuit Event" moniker may hurt attendance, but in my mind the LotR Indies exist because of a shared interest in Middle Earth, the passion for Miniature Tabletop Wargaming in Middle Earth, and a desire to renew and build the strong friendships that have grown over the years.

Perhaps we, the TOs of the LOTR Indies, can come up with our own "Circuit", and establish a means to Crown a Champion each year?
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 pm

How many indy tournaments are there? Please don't include Adepticon. I am just thinking about getting possible sponsorships for them. Obviously not $300.00 a tournament but something always helps.

I love the idea of having our own championships. Maybe give away a ticket to the Adepticon CHampionships? Just a thought.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Here's the Indy Events that I know about (in roughly chronological/calendar order)

1. Gathering in the Desert (Feb)
2. Adepticon (Mar/Apr)
3. Shadow in the East (Jun/Jul)
4. Mayhem in the Mountains (Sep)
5. Da Grand Waaaaagh (Oct)
6. Bilbo's Birthday Bash (Nov)

I'd be totally up for a "LOTR Indy Circuit" Trophy
BrentS

Postby Slammers77 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm

In the past there used to be a cooperative effort between the old WNTS (Warhammer National Tournament Series-what started the whole indy circuit-if memory serves there were about 6 events initially) and it was pretty common that each event would offer a complimentary entry into one of the other events for either best overall or best sportsman. It was a good way to get folks to travel to each other's events.

There was no overall series champion though because although the organizers agreed to some set guidelines, 2000 pts, 5 games over 2 days, each event had their own "thing". Some required paint, some didn't. Scoring systems were different. Some events were bigger than others and thus tougher to win. It was really a loose confederation. With the size of most LoTR events, offering several "free" entries could put a burden on those events. Also, we all don't follow the same scoring guidelines etc. If we could come to an agreement on some commonalities, I think it would be great to do our own series, but we would need to agree as organizers on those parameters.

John
Slammers77

Postby Smeagol » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 pm

We've just lost Da Grand Waaagh!!

Hello All,

First I would like to thank each of you for attending and helping Da Grand Waaagh GT over the last couple years. Without your participation, we would never have been able to create such a successful tournament on the U.S.S. Hornet. Due to time and other factors, the group has decided to discontinue running Da Grand Waaagh GT tournament. We appreciate everyone’s support and hope our paths cross again in the gaming world.

Thank You, Dave
Smeagol

Postby prion2001 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 pm

I shouldn't even post as I'm in a sour mood regarding GW of late. :roll: But, this news is not suprising. What sucks is that for some events, I think they just pulled the rug out from under their feet. At least they will have some terrain thanks to GWs past support so that cost is not incurred. This doesn't change much for us at Adepticon on the LotR side as all of our support has been from Adepticon as the meager anount they got from GW was not huge especially considering the size of the 40k and Fantasy events. Plus, we started before the circuit and did fine without that back then. I really hope the Indy events continue but it certainly feels like the hard work of supporting their game just fell to a lot of volunteers. :?

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Slammers77 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 pm

It hurts the small events the most because their prices have to increase the most to break even. LoTR events are small for the most part and thus it hurts them the most. There will be plenty of events that fold.

John
Slammers77

Postby febber » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 pm

BrentS wrote:I'd be totally up for a "LOTR Indy Circuit" Trophy

I can always make a little more room on my wall or shelf.
Last edited by febber on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 pm

febber wrote:
BrentS wrote:Here's the Indy Events that I know about (in roughly chronological/calendar order)

I'd be totally up for a "LOTR Indy Circuit" Trophy

I can always make a little more room on my wall or shelf.

Thats the Febber i have looking for. Glad your back.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Return to Lord of the Rings News