My hope (and plea) for LotR

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

My hope (and plea) for LotR

Postby prion2001 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 am

With the new books and all the soul searching about how to fit these into Adepticon I have had several revelations about my own feelings towards LotR, tournaments and my hobby in general. On the LotR front and tournaments i've realized I now feel the same way about tournaments as I did when I was a Fantasy player; I don't care about the competitve generalship, I just enjoy a few games with good people on some nice terrain with some nice looking models. Not that I dislike those who DO CARE about generalship and list building (Many people I would call friends are much more into this than I am) but I'd rather play at the back of the pack then worry and fret about what is competitive. My opinion (and all of this is just that) is there is no "killer list". Yes, you can tweek and crunch numbers and stack the odds using the rules and lists. But in the end, I still think it comes down to the player, the scenario and the match-up. All the "fear and doubt" over the new lists reminds me that once, no one knew the strengths and weakensses of Legions and now we do and I don't think we've seen some magic forumla that always wins (at least not a list that always wins :lol: ). I'm guessing the same thing will happen here.

Yet, I don't care to waste my precious hobby time worrying over those things. This is my current delima as a tournament organizer. Some players DO want to fret (again, I have no problem with them doing that) and I feel the need to create an event that caters to all comers. But each year, and especially this year, that gets harder for me to do without feeling like I'm devoting time to something I don't care to do (fix percieved bias and list issues). What I want, in a perfect world, is to play LotR SBG, regardless of the perceived negative changes with these new books or how "fair" the game appears to be. No talk of power lists, perceived bias, stat creep, etc. I enjoy this game, the models, the background AND the people I play against. That is what fuels my hobby and gaming fire, not competitve list building, scenario tweeking, discussions of tournament balance. I just want to play and leave it at that. Tournaments are a means to that end as I get to play new people (and old) when I might not get to on a normal gaming day. I think I now have become and OLD gamer like Jervis Johnson who pines for the old days before all this focus on tournament fairness. :shock:

So my secret hope for Adepticon this year is that the majority of people find that inner LotR gamer and do what makes them happy and not just what will garner them the win. I want people to have fun, be inspired to try a new list, play something they've always wanted even if it's not "competitive". I made the decision to allow both lists fearing that some people would default to Legions because it was safe and was perceived to be more competitive. I ultimately decided I couldn't stop that without also hurting people who already had armies AND that it wasn't my job to police them. Yes, I know full well other people would have decided differently and I can only dream of how it would have felt to NOT have to decide, because I was not running the events (trust me, that is one awsome dream). But I hope, and I'm seeing, that players will embrace the new lists not because they are perfect or balanced or "competitive" but because they rekindle a love for the game, the models, and the LotR genera. I know my Championship list will be from the new books, plain and simple. I didn't win under Legions much so really I don't expect life will be any different under the Warands lists. I have a feeling the reverse will be true for the better generals amongst us.

I just hope this hobby is more then simply running numbers and percentages so we can play balanced matches at a tournament. If that is all it's about I'm not sure I want to play that version of SBG.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Re: My hope (and plea) for LotR

Postby sandman36 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 am

Well said. I've always enjoyed a hard fought loss more than a crushing, one sided victory. I played a game last weekend where I tabled my opponent and lost three models. That was not a fun game. It did not test my tactics or make me feel like a great general. The games I tend to remember are games that were tactical and complicated. I don't find myself remembering who won them. One of the best games I've ever played was against Thorak. We both still talk about that game three years later. I could go look at my blog to see who won, but I don't care. It was a great game.

This hobby will always cater to different sorts of people. In the end the best you can hope for is that you please the people who are willing to admit that there are different, equally valid, aspects to the hobby. The people who only care about their point of view aren't worth trying to please anyway.
sandman36

Postby tjski » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Jamie,

Well put my friend, well put. It is no surprise to you that I have the same feelings that you mentioned. You have seen my emails leading up to GitD and know where my heart is. A buddy asked me why I was not posting as much here on AWC, well, to be honest, I would rather be playing games of LotR than arguing over what books to use.

In the long run I want to change GitD into something other than a tournament, yeah that will scare folks off, but running events no is not as much fun as it used to be.

So I hear you my friend, and I will stand by your side!

Tim K
tjski

Postby Smeagol » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:54 pm

tjski wrote:In the long run I want to change GitD into something other than a tournament, yeah that will scare folks off, but running events no is not as much fun as it used to be.

This would be interesting to hear more on when you're of the mindset to brainstorm. I go to gaming conventions to play games, I don't see an issue with going to a LOTR non-tournament event. The tournament games aren't as much fun as less competetive games, but it's all we have as a format to choose from.

Adepticon is good for what it is (one of the best gaming conventions despite anything I type next), but despite being a convention in format it really feels like one big series of tournaments. I'd really like events that offered gaming experiences that you don't get to play everyday. If I could afford to fly out for one of the Adams Seige of Minas Tirith events I would.
Smeagol

Postby Slammers77 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 pm

You have reached the point where I think we all get too. The competitive play ultimately killed the Necro. The WHFB and 40k players got so competitive and complained so much that as organizers we got burned out. The Necro started as a weekend of fun gaming with some prizes to clubs getting together to vote who would get best models and army regardless of look. Clubs were having tactics sessions on different players-something we never intended.

Over the last year what I saw with LoTR is that Harad and Gundabad Goblins became the top of the heap because of the pure numbers they could field. You are right in that a list by itself does not guarantee a win, but a competitive list in the hands of good player will vault them to the top. You can't eliminate the competitive players. It is what they enjoy and there is nothing wrong with that. Just try to set an environment that is equally enjoyable to the hobbiest and the gamer and don't worry about the rest.

John
Slammers77

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 am

good ole family fun! good advice John! we sometimes sit around here and discuss how to beat you and Tom.... I mean no we dont....
BostonNazgul

Postby Slammers77 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 am

Given my tournament showings over the last year, you don't need to worry about me. I've gotten to the point I play with the models I like not because of rules, but because I like the way they look or play style. Guess I'm just getting old.

John
Slammers77

Postby BostonNazgul » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 pm

im building a rohan army for that reason....
BostonNazgul

Postby griffen127 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Mahud for Everyone!!!!!!
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Return to Lord of the Rings News