GitD Comments, the Good, the Bad the Ugly!

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

GitD Comments, the Good, the Bad the Ugly!

Postby tjski » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Okay folks,

Time to take stock of this past weekend and look at how next year can be better. So lets hear it and don't be shy!

I will go first:

The Good: I really liked the Good vs Evil match ups, I got to see armies that I usually don't get to see on the table (Brent's Woes).

The Bad: The Bilbo's Treasure scenario! There I said it! The GitD staff tweaked this scenario around to try to get folks to play towards the objective, we knew going in that some armies would be at a disadvantage, but thought this would not be too bad. We were wrong, in fact I think Brent and Jeremy's game may have been the fastest GitD game I have seen done at GitD. So sorry about that folks, we will not be inviting that scenario back in that particular version.

The Ugly: Well if you were there, then you know, but things were resolved last night and things are fine now. That is all I will say on that!

So lets hear your thoughts and comments...

Tim K
tjski

Re: GitD Comments, the Good, the Bad the Ugly!

Postby jlong05 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Good: Agree here totally. The Good/Bad match-ups were great. I was very glad to not have the play myself issues of the past with the good on good/evil on evil matchups from before. I hope this is a keeper.

Bad: I also agree, Bilbo's treasure was an issue. Very much subject to multiple levels of luck. Luck in the opponent matchup, luck on the table assignment, luck on the spot the treasure appeared. Maybe an option would be to tweak the scenario objective a little. Maybe to get a major you need to have secured the treasure and moved it off a table edge and remain unbroken as an army? Minor could be get the treasure off but be broken, and anything else is a draw with a bonus point if you have control of the treasure but it hasn't been mobved from the table when the match ends? Of course the scenario woudl still need to be played out as a meeting engagement or kill em all mission type with standard ending chance. Not sure if that would work, and it would need playtested, but its a starting point maybe.

Ugly: Sheesh, who was that anyway? Anyway, I think a big take-away for everyone is to remember that it's just a game and to attend for the fun of playing the game. If you attend for the win, and the win alone, you will most likely be subject to disappointment in the end. Take it from me. I know personally. ;)
Last edited by jlong05 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby griffen127 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Good, I liked the good vs evil match ups that was really cool its so hard to play alot of blue on red games. The terrian was really cool as always (though I didn't get to play on the pony.... again, but will all camels thats most likly a good thing).

Bad, got to say it again Biblos treasure, it kinda sucked. besides that the only other thing that I might complain about is that ending at 50% is quick on a 4+ perhaps a or a game ends on a 2+ on the first turn 4+ on the second and 5+ after that or something like that.

Horrible. hmm umm bad anthony :twisted:
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby old coast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

For those of us that wished we were there-

What was the issues with the Bilbo Scenario?

What was the ugly? (unless its so ugly you must email my privately, I HOPE NOT)

Congrats on 5 years of GitD...I wish I was either younger or older and didnt have the middle aged responsibility :D .
old coast

Postby jlong05 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 pm

old coast wrote:For those of us that wished we were there-

What was the issues with the Bilbo Scenario?

What was the ugly? (unless its so ugly you must email my privately, I HOPE NOT)

Congrats on 5 years of GitD...I wish I was either younger or older and didnt have the middle aged responsibility :D .

Bilbos treasure was a sieze the prize match when you had to find the correct treasure(6 random markers) and then take the prize off any table edge. Most games were decided in about 30 minutes with only a couple going the distance. It mainly was a matter of where the prize was.

Ugly I am sure was me resigning from game 5. I let my competitive nature get the best of me, which was bad. I have learned from that mistake and hope to do better in the future.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby old coast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

jlong05 wrote:Bilbos treasure was a sieze the prize match when you had to find the correct treasure(6 random markers) and then take the prize off any table edge. Most games were decided in about 30 minutes with only a couple going the distance. It mainly was a matter of where the prize was.

ahh..I see Tim was milking the High Seas, "X marks the spot" scenario....Yup in practice that never worked in any of my LotHS events either
after trying numerous fixes the only that seemed to work was we changed to to once you found it the treasure- you had to bring it to center of the board (hill, building, etc) and hold it! for max VP- .much better and bloodier.

Ugly I am sure was me resigning from game 5. I let my competitive nature get the best of me, which was bad. I have learned from that mistake and hope to do better in the future.

I've seen it happen to alot of good people, you are not alone..all you can do is remember is just a game...and the next time your in that position is just say F- it. and crack a beverage. :D
old coast

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 pm

I like the idea of having a heavy object seizure scenario, but I think the best bet would be to combine it with another objective, or have it be a bonus like in previous years. Also, putting the objectives nearer to the centerline would have been good. Not that it would have helped Rob... :oops:

One thing that I did miss was some form of swag. I have always loved the little bits of memorabilia I've collected from the tournaments I've attended, be they dice, templates, t-shirts, and priority markers. Even the BBB objective beads Brent made were way cool. Minor thing, I know, but still something I'd like to see. Not that I've done anything like that for DGW.

Good: Fantastic terrain, as always! I liked the mix of scenarios (apart from the obvious). Heck, you probably could throw in one "kill 'em all" scenario like the one with half of your force deployed near the center line or something. Perhaps that is the answer to the Bilbo's Treasure scenario - start the treasure off in the middle, but allow everyone to deploy half their army within 4" of the objective... Provided lunches and drinks were fantastic, the schedule was scrupulously kept, the paperwork was clear when I actually bothered to read the thing correctly, and in general the administration was awesome. Very happy with everything.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Haven't weighed in yet...

The Good: The venue was much more "open" this year with the extra room available. I liked having an entire 4x8 table to put all our stuff on. It was great to see so many old friends (though other old friends were definitely missed). The tables looked great. I enjoyed playing on all of the ones I had. I also liked the catered food (as usual) and the meals out with the players on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

The Bad: With the extra space of the side room came the realization that 3 of the tables were out of the main room. I played 2 of my 5 games in that room and it felt a little bit isolated from the rest of the tournament. Its a tough call as I really did like having the extra space around each table.

The Ugly: Bilbo's treasure vs Jeremy. 15 minutes and the game was over. You could also say the Ugly was how badly I beat up on Jeremy's army after we decided to play a "free for all" Meeting Engagement style game. Ugly #2: Domination vs Kyle. Holy crap, I can't believe I got a win in that game. I was out-killed by a near 10 to 1 margin and only because Kyle rolled a 1 on the first try did I eek out a win.

All in all, I enjoyed my time in Phoenix. I got a bit too caught up in the moment and was very cranky during Bilbo's Treasure. But my army played great all weekend (except against Kyle). I was very pleased with both my Appearance and Sportsmanship scoring. The award I received was very unexepected!
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 am

You could also say the Ugly was how badly I beat up on Jeremy's army after we decided to play a "free for all" Meeting Engagement style game

last time I throw a game for your sake again.... besides I was way out of position after stealing all the treasures with my pups
BostonNazgul

Postby VeteranNoob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:55 am

Good: Getting to meet everyone and attend my first ever gaming tournament. From what I hear, I'm spoiled with this one. Oh, yeah! Also, winning March to Mount Doom! I was told all winter to "fear Kyle's March list" (sort of). I came, I saw, I got stabbed in the face, and somehow I still won. Thank God for Elessar!

Bad: I have come to name dwarves "The Great Equalizers". I had four draws and a major loss, but had lots of fun in the process.

Ugly: Bilbo's Treasure. Although I had fun playing this game, that's only because I enjoy fighting against the odds. But I can't complain. I shot some wargs, chopped some uruk-hai, and got laughed at while their friends walked a treasure chest off the table for the major. At the same time, though, this scenario ended so quickly that it allowed a lot of us to "just play" during the free time. It was great to see out-of-towners and locals getting to throw down fun games. For the most part, everyone was having fun and enjoying themselves, and that's what it's all about.

Great event! Kudos to Tim, Shannon, and everyone who made GitD 2012 possible!
VeteranNoob

Return to Lord of the Rings News